Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im not talking about hip hop influenced apparel, Im talking about gang specific colors and clothing. There is a huge difference, and in Southern California its very common to see that all over including much of San Diego-not that the person in question is necessarily a gangmember but they come across that way and it is uncomfortable for others.
And I am talking about hip hop influenced apparel, its the same difference. Both styles are worn by real thugs and wannabe thugs and make some people uncomfortable. You're probably just used to a different style of thuggish dress b/c people do dress differently in both parts of the state but its all the same basically. Maybe you think their is an actual difference but most people are going to judge people who wear either style pretty much the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
CA does NOT have the worst murder problem in the US and we are not even the most violent state. As a matter of fact it is tied for 10th with TENNESSEE for murder, so maybe you ought to take a closer look at your own state before trying to call CA out on its murder problem.

Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

also the Death Penalty is clearly NOT a deterrent so don't pretend that it is.
I'm actually from Florida, Have lived in Los Angeles but currently reside in Tennessee.

The Death Penalty is very much a deterrent. Look at the California prison problems in comparisons with states like Florida, Tennessee, and Texas to name a few. It was estimated recently that the average inmate in California on death row costs tax payers almost $93k a year. How many inmates in California are on death row and how long have they been there ?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times
Oh, and thing about going from state to state is the following, You can't compare California with Tennessee, California has about 8x the amount of people and most of our crime is in Memphis, 4 hours from Nashville and 8 hours from Knoxville.

California has high crime from San Diego all the way to SF/Oak.

Notice, California had two in the top 15 for most dangerous cities.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I'm actually from Florida, Have lived in Los Angeles but currently reside in Tennessee.

The Death Penalty is very much a deterrent. Look at the California prison problems in comparisons with states like Florida, Tennessee, and Texas to name a few. It was estimated recently that the average inmate in California on death row costs tax payers almost $93k a year. How many inmates in California are on death row and how long have they been there ?
No its not, there is no empirical, statistical, or scientific evidence that shows it is. If you have something credible that shows that it is then prove it. Your anecdotal evidence does not mean squat here or prove anything. And studies have shown it costs more to put someone on death row than it costs to put them in prison for life, mainly due to the appeals process.

If the death penalty is such a deterrent then why does the US, the only developed country that has it, have much higher murder rates than all the countries that don't have it?

Quote:
Oh, and thing about going from state to state is the following, You can't compare California with Tennessee, California has about 8x the amount of people and most of our crime is in Memphis, 4 hours from Nashville and 8 hours from Knoxville.

Yes you can compare them because, like with almost all crime states, it is comparing PER CAPITA RATES, which take into account population.

And how is most of your crime occuring in a few cities any different than most of the crime in CA occuring in particular cities too?

No Ca does not have high crime all the way from San Diego to the Bay Area. San Diego is one of the SAFEST large cities in America and is much safer than Nashville. Even Los Angeles is SAFER than Nashville and has a lower crime rate.

And notice how CA also has 4 of the SAFEST cities in the Top 15. A TN city doesn't even make the Top 150.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/CityCrime2008_Rank.pdf

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

Last edited by sav858; 12-10-2008 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 11:57 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Maybe you think there is an actual difference but most people are going to judge people who wear either style pretty much the same way.
Obviously Im speaking of my own experience and being from the inner city, I do know the difference between hip hop inspired clothing and actual gang clothing.

Its not the same to me and I totally know the difference but I dont expect others to differentiate.

Something about seeing people who are obviously in a gang driving alongside you on the freeway or on the street is just disconcerting and that happens far more in SoCal than in The Bay Area.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Something about seeing people who are obviously in a gang driving alongside you on the freeway or on the street is just disconcerting and that happens far more in SoCal than in The Bay Area.
Not for me, I've had the opposite experiance getting mean stare downs from little thugs in the Bay Area more so than down here, which happened to me over this past Thanksgiving holiday as I was leaving Oakland late at night; some little thug in the car next to me staring hard at me for no good reason, I was afraid the guy was going to shoot me if I stared back b/c only bad things seem to happen in Oakland after midnight. I find the thug/ghetto mentality worse in the Bay Area than San Diego, not only from the way people dress but from my own experiences dealing with that type of trash there.

Also you may like to group SoCal as one but San Diego and LA/OC/IE are two different worlds.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,808 times
Quote:

Who's trying to compare California to Tennessee other than you?

This thread isn't even about Tennessee.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:

Also you may like to group SoCal as one but San Diego and LA/OC/IE are two different worlds.
Yet all over SoCal, its not uncommon to see that element.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yet all over SoCal, its not uncommon to see that element.
It's also not as common as you portray it to be from my experiance.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:01 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
No offense but those stats say 2004 and 2005. A lot can change in a few years. The 2007 stats would be better.
Yes, they would be... but if I remember correctly, the FBI only releases crime & demographic stats every 5 years. As a reference librarian, we consider anything within that time period to be accurate - things don't change THAT much to make such a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland