Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 12:41 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Boston will be U.S. bid city for 2024 Summer Olympics - ESPN Boston

Words cannot describe how thrilled I am that Boston is taking the bullet for this giant boondoggle and IOC royalty ass-kissing fest instead of us. Traffic already sucks, economic gears are already turning fast enough, costs are already through the roof, construction is already packed tight enough. Our taxes are already high enough, we have enough things that we need to pay for, and we waste enough already putting on Larry Ellison's pet America's Cup rich people flash-barge sailing extravaganza. Last thing I need is to be footing the bill for this colossal two-week circus and dealing with a million people stomping around some Olympic Village two miles from my house.

THANK YOU, BOSTON!!! (and good luck)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 02:18 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Agreed! I lived in LA during the Olympics there and the traffic alone was a nightmare. Well, it always is, but magnitudes worse. Now I'm in the Sacramento area and getting into The City is a challenge in the best of times. I can't imagine trying to navigate around Olympic venues in the Bay Area.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:27 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Summer in Boston is pretty hot and sticky, too bad for the athletes they wont be in SF.

BTW, one thing I remember during the '84 games is how many people moved in with relatives and rented out their houses for big, (make that astronomically huge!) bucks!

Old 01-09-2015, 03:26 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Agreed! I lived in LA during the Olympics there and the traffic alone was a nightmare. Well, it always is, but magnitudes worse. Now I'm in the Sacramento area and getting into The City is a challenge in the best of times. I can't imagine trying to navigate around Olympic venues in the Bay Area.
Actually, traffic during the Olympics in L.A. in 1984 was better than normal. I was there.

I guess I missed my chance for having my home town be the Olympic host for the third time in my life. (Montreal 1976 and L.A. 1984) Personally, I loved the experience. But in both cases I moved out of the metro areas very soon after so I didn't have to deal with the aftermath.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:05 PM

484 posts, read 822,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Actually, traffic during the Olympics in L.A. in 1984 was better than normal. I was there.

I guess I missed my chance for having my home town be the Olympic host for the third time in my life. (Montreal 1976 and L.A. 1984) Personally, I loved the experience. But in both cases I moved out of the metro areas very soon after so I didn't have to deal with the aftermath.
I lived there at the time also and you're right that the traffic was amazingly better during the Olympics ... brought about no doubt by massive advertising asking people to limit driving or drive during off times.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:12 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
I think the traffic probably depended on what your driving patterns were, both geographically and time-wise. That and what venues happened to be in your path. I know for a fact that companies made concerted efforts to assist employees with work schedule flexibility, ridesharing, and so on. I'm very sure of that because I was personally charged with orchestrating such programs for my employer and the experience is etched permanently in my brain. I do think that traffic mitigation is far easier in LA than I imagine it would be in the Bay Area. But I guess that's a moot point, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland