Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Pickpocketing, in SF?? Where did this happen?
lol, why so surprised? You've never heard the train operator on the F-Market give the "beware of pickpockets" speech? They seem to do it every other time I ride it. I'd say you stand some chance of being pick-pocketed in a crowded area in any big city.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
OK. So from now on (after we all buy guns), we're going to answer the door, firearm in hand, with one hand behind our backs. What do we do with that hand if it's the UPS guy wanting us to sign for a package? What if it's someone gathering signatures for a ballot initiative, and we have to sign, but the gun's in our hand behind our back?
Sad but true... steel security doors are still being installed for this very reason...

My neighborhood has experienced a rash of crime the last 6 months... even caught one in process when I was driving to work and saw the front door open of a house I pass... never spoke with the owners before... just noticed the front door was ajar driving by... stopped walked up to the door and yelled really loud for "Jim" are you home... no idea who Jim is... anyway, it was enough for the thieves to scramble out the back...

Every street has been hit and the thieves are young males and force their way in often knocking on the door to access the situation first...

The Chief of Police is coming for a neighborhood Town Hall next week... will see... meanwhile... neighbors have been installing strategic cameras to record all comings and goings... on my street, each was asked to kick in a $100... within 48 hours all but one had done so and he is 98...

I know crime is reported as being down... does not really mean much if you are the victim...

Lots of people that never owned dogs have them now...

Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
What you describe, Ruth, aren't home invasions. Home invasions are brutal. They are violent and forceful. Almost always, someone is killed or badly beaten. Women are raped. It's nothing like a simple burglary of which you are describing. The simple burglary is the crime of opportunity. Open window, unlocked door. Things like that.
Like the 80+ year old retired couple pistol whipped several blocks from my home at 10 am on a Tuesday morning.... they move slow and as the husband was about to answer the door it was kicked in... very sad what these people went through and they are afraid to return to their home of 45 years... all because of some punks looking for a quick score... turns out the car they were driving was stolen too.

More than a dozen since last June... all had forced entry... either a door kicked in or a window broken... a favorite is a spring center punch to a tempered glass patio door... one prick and the glass shatters into a thousand pieces...

Luck for me my door was original and plate glass... about 20 divots in the glass and it did not break... of course plate glass is no longer code as it once was circa 1958.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sad but true... steel security doors are still being installed for this very reason...

My neighborhood has experienced a rash of crime the last 6 months... even caught one in process when I was driving to work and saw the front door open of a house I pass... never spoke with the owners before... just noticed the front door was ajar driving by... stopped walked up to the door and yelled really loud for "Jim" are you home... no idea who Jim is... anyway, it was enough for the thieves to scramble out the back...

Every street has been hit and the thieves are young males and force their way in often knocking on the door to access the situation first...

The Chief of Police is coming for a neighborhood Town Hall next week... will see... meanwhile... neighbors have been installing strategic cameras to record all comings and goings... on my street, each was asked to kick in a $100... within 48 hours all but one had done so and he is 98...

I know crime is reported as being down... does not really mean much if you are the victim...

Lots of people that never owned dogs have them now...
Do you guys have a Neighborhood Watch program? Sounds like it's time for one. Steel doors? Wow. The only place I've seen anything like that is in Russia. Crime got so bad after the USSR crashed that a LOT of people got iron doors on their apartments. Never heard of it in the US, though. I guess times are changing.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Do you guys have a Neighborhood Watch program? Sounds like it's time for one. Steel doors? Wow. The only place I've seen anything like that is in Russia. Crime got so bad after the USSR crashed that a LOT of people got iron doors on their apartments. Never heard of it in the US, though. I guess times are changing.

Yes, very active neighborhood watch, linked by email and neighbor next door website...

Also have hidden cameras on the street to monitor all street traffic 24/7 and all neighbors have access to view video...

By Steel Door I should have said Security Door... not the $99 cheapy that Home Depot sells... about $249 with heavier construction details.

Some of the thieves are on foot... they like to favorite a creek in the area for easy access... hope they spend a month with poison oak!

When I moved in, I cleared all the poison oak along the back fence... the family that sold me the house said it was there as a deterrent... well, I get it and wanted it gone.

When I worked in Austria... some of my colleagues had beautiful homes that could be called Villas... most had roll down metal shades... not approved by my city fire department and they had $4000 entry doors with 6 point locking... there is no crime there... they just wanted to be safe... plus the door locks are quite expensive too.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:13 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
If u r armed you have options if not u are not u don't
Actually, you have that backwards. As Bruce Lee said, weapons are limiting. Knowing martial arts, I have many options. I can simply block a strike. I can counterstrike. I can break a limb. I can knock the wind out of the person. As a last resort I can kill them.

With a firearm, your options are (a) do nothing or (b) use deadly force.

Quote:
Americans have been programmed to believe predators are not dangerous and it is their civic duty to allow others to harm them
Nope, I served in the Navy and I have firearms training (I stood armed watches etc), and as I said above I know some martial arts. The set of circumstances where a firearm would be useful are very limited, however. Owning a firearm would bring additional danger and inconvenience to my life while adding little benefit.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Actually, you have that backwards. As Bruce Lee said, weapons are limiting. Knowing martial arts, I have many options. I can simply block a strike. I can counterstrike. I can break a limb. I can knock the wind out of the person. As a last resort I can kill them.

...I served in the Navy and I have firearms training (I stood armed watches etc), and as I said above I know some martial arts. The set of circumstances where a firearm would be useful are very limited, however. Owning a firearm would bring additional danger and inconvenience to my life while adding little benefit.
Well said, my husband is served in the USMC and has a 3rd degree black belt in Aikido. He enjoys target shooting and was on the Marine Corp Pistol team, he has a few guns locked up in a safe for that purpose- not for self defense.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:17 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I have to disagree, one of the sad things I see on the news occasionally is a knowledgable person such as a war veteran being killed by some little degenerate who didn't even graduate high school. You could be the best martial artist or have the best training, but it won't save you from a coward with a gun, unless he has terrible aim.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:26 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
lol, why so surprised? You've never heard the train operator on the F-Market give the "beware of pickpockets" speech? They seem to do it every other time I ride it. I'd say you stand some chance of being pick-pocketed in a crowded area in any big city.
I don't ride the F Market, and I've never been pick-pocketed in SF or in any big city. Nor has anyone I know. This isn't Paris.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I have to disagree, one of the sad things I see on the news occasionally is a knowledgable person such as a war veteran being killed by some little degenerate who didn't even graduate high school. You could be the best martial artist or have the best training, but it won't save you from a coward with a gun, unless he has terrible aim.
The problem is that having a 'shoot out' with someone doesn't usually work out very well. Even cops who train with firearms regularly only hit their target in real life situations 1/3 of the time. If someone is pointing a gun at you the best thing you can possibly do is beat feet and put as much distance between you and a bullet as is humanly possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland