Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Bingo! North Bay. (Though most locations will be a lot warmer than Santa Cruz. I don't know if that's an issue for you.)

Calistoga. Tiburon (pricey!) St. Helena or Ross. Maybe Pt. Reyes (small, quaint). Napa. Those aren't areas with a good start-up culture, though, AFAIK.

Those look like pretty towns. Looks like Santa Rosa has a lot of festivals. Doesn't appear to be many co-offices in the area or start-up culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 12:26 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Those look like pretty towns. Looks like Santa Rosa has a lot of festivals. Doesn't appear to be many co-offices in the area or start-up culture.
No, that's not where the start-up culture is, but that's where everything else you were looking for is.

Someone mentioned a town in the Santa Cruz mountains for micro-brews; there are some nice cafes, jazz venues, and possibly a good restaurant here and there, tucked away in the small towns above Santa Cruz: Felton, Bonnie Doon, and others. Those amenities aren't gathered together all in one spot, you have to search them out. But because those communities are so small, there's a real neighborhood feel about those local hang-outs.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
By start-up culture, do you mean techie start-ups? Like Ebay, Yahoo, Facebook, etc.? That's only found in the SF Bay Area, really.

What do you mean by farm-to-table? Everything on the restaurant tables came from farms LOL! So you mean a restaurant owned by a farmer? Then you'd have to go to where the farms are. If you just mean vegan or organic, you can find that anywhere in the SF Bay Area. If you mean farmer's markets, you'll find those all over, too.

Parks and recreation abounds even right in the middle of the urban areas.

Maybe Saratoga? Next to mountains, cute cafes, upper income residents, great farmer's market, full of techie workers, probably, easy commute to Silicon Valley employers, pretty easy drive to the beach.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:59 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
I'm very curious about that town. It seems to have everything on paper -- mountains, close to beach and not far from major employment areas and yay an organic grocery store.
The Santa Cruz area has a locally-owned version of Whole Foods, that's popular. It grew out of a local co-op.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
By start-up culture, do you mean techie start-ups? Like Ebay, Yahoo, Facebook, etc.? That's only found in the SF Bay Area, really.
By start-up I was thinking not just software but also also technologies biotech etc. More new small businesses like those found in a sandbox or enterprise center, ideally in a co-office setting. Not so much the established dot-coms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What do you mean by farm-to-table? Everything on the restaurant tables came from farms LOL! So you mean a restaurant owned by a farmer? Then you'd have to go to where the farms are. If you just mean vegan or organic, you can find that anywhere in the SF Bay Area. If you mean farmer's markets, you'll find those all over, too.
Farm-to-table, I meant locally grown, from independent agriculture, CSAs.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, that's not where the start-up culture is, but that's where everything else you were looking for is.

Someone mentioned a town in the Santa Cruz mountains for micro-brews; there are some nice cafes, jazz venues, and possibly a good restaurant here and there, tucked away in the small towns above Santa Cruz: Felton, Bonnie Doon, and others. Those amenities aren't gathered together all in one spot, you have to search them out. But because those communities are so small, there's a real neighborhood feel about those local hang-outs.
I am definitely okay with having hidden gems spread out and I don't mind driving to spots. I'll have to check out some of those towns you mention when I come for a visit.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:35 PM

Default emeryville, pinole, crockett

What about these places?

Old 02-19-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
What about these places?
No. Just no.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
By start-up I was thinking not just software but also also technologies biotech etc. More new small businesses like those found in a sandbox or enterprise center, ideally in a co-office setting. Not so much the established dot-coms.

Farm-to-table, I meant locally grown, from independent agriculture, CSAs.
I feel like I don't speak your language. Is it a New England thing? I don't know what a sandbox or enterprise center is. Or even a co-office setting. These must be Boston buzz words? I don't get this lost when I read the SF or San Jose forums and they're talking about the techie stuff. I'm old, but I don't get your buzz words.

Biotech - Genentech comes to mind. Again SF. I think they also have a facility around Fairfield. But Fairfield is not a start-up culture kind of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No. Just no.
LOL. Emeryville is in a great location being right across the bridge from SF. I haven't been there in years, but my understanding is that it's kind of warehouse-ish. Crocket and Pinole are bedroom suburb type of towns.

I really think SF is where you want to be. If you can't afford to live in SF, then rent somewhere like Concord (safe and boring, but affordable) and take BART into the city.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 PM

Actually, Emeryville has the coffeeshops and restaurants the OP is looking for. There are some very pleasant neighborhoods there. And Berkeley, the heart of the farm-to-table restaurant movement, is just up the street, so to speak. But the condos in Emeryville overlook the railyard. It's noisy, which is why it's cheap. And yes, it's an old warehouse and industrial district that's transformed.

OP, I, too, am mystified as to your buzzwords. The Mission District in SF has a lot of shared offices and may be a secret pocket of start-ups, but a lot of the activity there is non-profit. Rents in the Mission are more affordable than elsewhere in SF, but that's en EXTREMELY relative term in the SF context, lol.

Maybe our start-up culture isn't quite the same as the start-up culture you're used to. Or maybe it's just that there are different buzzwords in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland