Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 04:36 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,074,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaskin View Post
1. rent is ridiculously high and increasing yearly, good housing difficult to find as more and more people are trying to get the same housing (I am paying 2k/month for a rundown 1-bedroom on the Peninsula, and this is deemed a 'deal')
2. because of housing and other living costs here (transportation, parking) I can not afford to buy a house here ever, difficult to build any savings here
Maybe not a house. But you could afford a small condo inside a building containing other condos. Not sure why you as a single person would want a whole house or even a whole condo, though.

You should move to downtown San Jose. It is an awesome place, very walkable; everything you need for daily life is within walking distance.

Quote:
3. the weather is unpredictable and a little dreary for someone whose emotions are affected by fog and cold,
Another reason to go to San Jose. It's a lot warmer than SF.

Quote:
5. the dating scene here appears to be lively, however, if you take part in it a woman will likely find it difficult here......that the men here do not take part in long term evolving relationships but are most often interested in short term fun filled encounters and seem to have other interests that preclude relationships such as working round the clock or are here only for 1-2 years for work or seem to have such short attention spans regarding all the dating options etc...; so many other men are socially unskilled and perhaps this is associated with the techie category? (I have gone to singles groups, meetups, had on average 1 date per month in the 5 years I have been here, and still have managed to stay unattached because of the above issues)
I'm 37 and have never been on a date or been in a relationship or had sex...no one has ever reciprocated my feelings...but my depressing lack of a love life is an exception....I think you can find a lot of attractive people in Silicon Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,140,962 times
You guys telling her to leave the City didn't read the OP. She doesn't live in San Francisco. She lives on the Peninsula.

OP--it doesn't sound like the Peninsula agrees with you. If you're attracted to suburban living, maybe somewhere like Walnut Creek would suit you better. You won't get much of a price break, but all of your other issues would be addressed.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:32 PM

148 posts, read 149,518 times
If you don't like a city or region, that's perfectly fine, you're absolutely free to move to a different location if you'd like. Dalparadise's suggestion of the Walnut Creek/far east bay area is definitely a good ide-wait, hold on:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaskin View Post
3. the weather is unpredictable and a little dreary for someone whose emotions are affected by fog and cold...
Bay Area...cold...unpredictable...I...I don't understa-

Old 02-22-2015, 07:15 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You guys telling her to leave the City didn't read the OP. She doesn't live in San Francisco. She lives on the Peninsula.

OP--it doesn't sound like the Peninsula agrees with you. If you're attracted to suburban living, maybe somewhere like Walnut Creek would suit you better. You won't get much of a price break, but all of your other issues would be addressed.
haha! I made a similar post to her the previous page. Walnut Creek would certainly be warmer, maybe too warm? I suggested Fremont, which would allow her to keep her job and commute across the bridge while providing a considerable savings on rent, but it's not great for dating, though the proximity to Berkeley and also San Jose would be useful for that.

Well, only the OP knows what she wants and doesn't want. I wish she'd give us more info.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:22 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dempsey's Left Foot View Post
If you don't like a city or region, that's perfectly fine, you're absolutely free to move to a different location if you'd like. Dalparadise's suggestion of the Walnut Creek/far east bay area is definitely a good ide-wait, hold on:

Bay Area...cold...unpredictable...I...I don't understa-
This is why some people thought she lived in SF. Maybe she lives in Pacifica. I've never heard of the rest of the Peninsula being cold and foggy; to the contrary, people here have said the Peninsula is hot in the summers.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:15 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,287,417 times
Depends on where in the Peninsula. San Mateo and Redwood City are pretty warm. SSF, Daly City, San Bruno, and Colma get fog. Parts of Burlingame too.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,804,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Maybe not a house. But you could afford a small condo inside a building containing other condos. Not sure why you as a single person would want a whole house or even a whole condo, though.
Future spouse and family plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I'm 37 and have never been on a date or been in a relationship or had sex...no one has ever reciprocated my feelings...but my depressing lack of a love life is an exception....I think you can find a lot of attractive people in Silicon Valley.
Like I said. Unless she plans to be a "mad hermit", she probably wants room for a spouse, (step)kids, etc.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,419,764 times
Default COL - a big issue

Other than living in SoCal in early adulthood for edumacation and early career, I am a lifer.

Even so, unless I hit a windfall, when my career completes, I'm outta here.

No way to reconcile the extreme COL once the job thing is no longer relevant.

At this extreme COL level, I am expecting an NYC, a London, a Tokyo, a Paris.

Sorry to slime the boosters and rah rahs who post here, but we are not that good.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:45 PM

192 posts, read 250,091 times
A lot of the things you listed are parts of why I'm leaving SF at the end of this month. I don't care about the dating scene, but the high cost of the rent and the people/culture is not for me. I'm moving to LA next month.

Despite what people say, I've always felt like there's no true culture in SF. There's tech and that's about it. There aren't too many artists who are trying to make a living from their art; just tech folks that are trying to build the ~next big thing.~ It's boring and not worth the money.

Plus, I absolutely hated the fact that the city was so dirty and grimy! Literally, every street is covered in dog and/or human ****. It's disgusting. And although LA won't be much better, I hated that it took me 35 - 45 minutes to drive 6 miles in SF. For a city that's so small and relatively empty compared to LA, it makes no sense that the driving conditions aren't better. If my commute is going to be like that, then I figured I might as well move to LA, which is cheaper and has artsier folks.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:59 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Other than living in SoCal in early adulthood for edumacation and early career, I am a lifer.

Even so, unless I hit a windfall, when my career completes, I'm outta here.

No way to reconcile the extreme COL once the job thing is no longer relevant.

At this extreme COL level, I am expecting an NYC, a London, a Tokyo, a Paris.

Sorry to slime the boosters and rah rahs who post here, but we are not that good.
SF in no way offers as much as major world cities yet its prices are quite up there, doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland