Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:31 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times

Advertisements

Just for the record folks, she lives down in SoCal, NOT the Bay Area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:53 PM

540 posts, read 653,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Ahhh...Here come the Sociology 101 and Black Studies buzzwords: "microagression", "privilege".

Was wondering when they were going to rear their ugly little heads...? Didn't take long for the Oaklandites to trot them out

"White privilege" is an excuse made by dysfunctional people to try to explain their own shortcomings, low impulse-control and lack of future-time orientation.

To me, the REAL "privilege" is being able to constantly get into trouble and mess everything up and always have a scapegoat (i.e. "white people", "white privilege") to fall back on and blame for it. No other group in America is afforded this luxury of irresponsibility and blame, except black people...
LOL another Politics forum straggler that thinks Black people are at fault for everything that has happened to them.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:57 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is also really easy to be oblivious of the privilege you do have at work.
I am far from privileged. I wasn't brought up with a silver spoon. I came from a middle class family and had to earn everything I have, both educationally and in my career through hard work and perseverance.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Oh geez. Are you for real? Maybe YOU should take Sociology 101 again. Or for the for the first time. Whichever.
Don't you know College is taught by *******s and Hussein Obama supporting commies. College is for making whites feel guilty while practicing reverse racism! Whites are the real victims in America!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I am far from privileged. I wasn't brought up with a silver spoon. I came from a middle class family and had to earn everything I have, both educationally and in my career through hard work and perseverance.
It's a fact that a person of color specifically Black has to work 5 times harder than a white person. You think you worked hard, imagine not being white. You can't and will never understand, you'll just contribute it to complaining.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Ahhh...Here come the Sociology 101 and Black Studies buzzwords: "microagression", "privilege".

Was wondering when they were going to rear their ugly little heads...? Didn't take long for the Oaklandites to trot them out

"White privilege" is an excuse made by dysfunctional people to try to explain their own shortcomings, low impulse-control and lack of future-time orientation.

To me, the REAL "privilege" is being able to constantly get into trouble and mess everything up and always have a scapegoat (i.e. "white people", "white privilege") to fall back on and blame for it. No other group in America is afforded this luxury of irresponsibility and blame, except black people...
I mentioned zero about white privilege. It is multi-faceted and layered. Being white is a form of privilege. Being middle class and above also is. Same with having a college education, being conventionally attractive, being able bodied, having access to good primary school education. And zillions of other small things. Pretending we are starting off on a "level" playing field is delusional.

I lucked out and had parents that went to college and were able to afford to live in neighborhoods with good public schools. My parents also had professional jobs. This gave me a leg up over black people who grew up in less well off backgrounds. Having my advantages and being white is even more privilege.

It is a lot easier to to pretend people are whiners and that the issues we have are not systemic. And to close your ears to emphasizing with different perspectives and experiences by dismissing them.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
It's a fact that a person of color specifically Black has to work 5 times harder than a white person. You think you worked hard, imagine not being white. You can't and will never understand, you'll just contribute it to complaining.
Its a fact? Can you show me the data here? Isn't affirmative action sort of undermining your points? You can get admitted with lower test scores and grades if you're a minority. Now, that has been thankfully banned in the UC's and some other schools.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Its a fact? Can you show me the data here? Isn't affirmative action sort of undermining your points? You can get admitted with lower test scores and grades if you're a minority. Now, that has been thankfully banned in the UC's and some other schools.
Living it is my proof. Also the Affirmative Action BS you just spewed is not accurate. FYI White Women use AA more than Anybody else.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Middle class values are a form of privilege. Having privilege does not mean things are handed to you, and negates the work you do. But privilege gives you invisible advantages that people with less privilege do not have. The "invisible knapsack."

Old 04-06-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Living it is my proof. Also the Affirmative Action BS you just spewed is not accurate. FYI White Women use AA more than Anybody else.
Yes, I'm white, so therefore I live an easier life than you. You are making a broad generalization without knowing the first thing about me. I would never make such an arrogant statement without really knowing you as a person.

Of course women are the largest beneficiaries. They make up 1/2 of the population. This doesn't make it any less discriminatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland