Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 11:34 AM

150 posts, read 298,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Ooh, that's walking distance to Grand Central. You now have Westchester and CT in play for NYC. This is one of the setups I would want if I was going to live there.
Yeah, we haven't really looked out in those places, because I kinda felt like, if we were going to do the city, we want to really experience the city. And then if we hated it, THEN we could look out in the suburbs. We've visited NYC several times, and it does seem really family-friendly: lots of families, lots of resources for kids, like parks and activities and whatnot. But yeah, if we hated living in a tiny apartment in the city, we could always go back to what we have now: big house, long commute (which I'm just really, really tired of).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:41 AM

520 posts, read 611,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slclady View Post
His office would be on Montgomery Street, 2 blocks from the BART station. In NYC it's in Midtown, on Fifth Avenue, near the library.

Almost every address I've routed from Berkeley is 40-ish minutes, including walking time. I understand that public transportation is neither perfect nor precise, and is crowded and disgusting (remember, we've been living and commuting in DC for 6 years—it's not like we're coming from the country). But it is more reliable and less stressful than driving (which we also have a lot of experience with, and this area's traffic is at least as bad as the Bay Area's). I assume these times are a decent estimate, even if we have to add 10-15 minutes on some days.

As for my claim that we can get more space for the same price, I guess all I can do is invite you to spend a few days (or weeks, in my case) searching for rentals in both places. Budget is about $5,000-$5,500 and we would like a 3-bedroom.
North Berkeley (which would be a great option for you, IMO) is 26 minutes on BART from Montgomery. The Richmond line also isn't as crowded as some of the other BART lines (I'm not saying it's great, especially leaving the city, but it's not like commuting from Concord). Some of your other options in Berkeley and Oakland are an even shorter BART ride.

BTW, I don't think BART is noticeably worse than the Metro (they are built on the same technology), except that the Metro has much better coverage of the DC area. But if your commute is in the areas where BART goes, that's immaterial.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:05 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,655 times
Texas

Old 12-18-2015, 05:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not following you - there are BART stations near almost every address I listed.
You wrote: Point Richmond - great place to live but I don't know where nearest BART[LEFT]
Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...#ixzz3uiprV62y
[/LEFT]

Old 12-18-2015, 05:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
There's no significant safety difference between El Cerrito and those parts of Richmond. Lots of good choices 2sleepy.
Right, but I was answering the question regarding the closest BART to Pt. Richmond.

Pt. Richmond has no BART station. You're either going to Richmond or El Cerrito Plaza from there. Tell you what, go ahead and take a walk from there to Richmond BART and tell me what you experience.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Right, but I was answering the question regarding the closest BART to Pt. Richmond.

Pt. Richmond has no BART station. You're either going to Richmond or El Cerrito Plaza from there. Tell you what, go ahead and take a walk from there to Richmond BART and tell me what you experience.
I did not calculate how far Pt. Richmond was to the BART station because it seemed that if the OP was interested in living there they would likely do that. Why are you nit picking over this anyway?

Old 12-18-2015, 06:26 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,990,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slclady View Post
Yeah, we haven't really looked out in those places, because I kinda felt like, if we were going to do the city, we want to really experience the city. And then if we hated it, THEN we could look out in the suburbs. We've visited NYC several times, and it does seem really family-friendly: lots of families, lots of resources for kids, like parks and activities and whatnot. But yeah, if we hated living in a tiny apartment in the city, we could always go back to what we have now: big house, long commute (which I'm just really, really tired of).
NYC does totally seem cool with kids/families. I'm from San Francisco and I honestly don't want to completely put you off about the possibility of having a great experience of living in the City with kids---it can and has been done---but from my own experiences, after having children in the City, the vibe and stress were ultimately not great for us (this was many years ago, when perhaps more families, more community spirit, and less wealth were floating around).

Something that I haven't read about yet here that affected us quite a bit for a time----the anti-kid "vibe". For some reason (my parents didn't experience it when I was a kid) but a lot of people that have moved in over the past 20 or so years can be quite nasty/rude when you show up nearly anywhere with a younger kid-- Even if you're at a lunch spot right next to a kid's museum at lunchtime! Just showing up in a restaurant with a kid, people will roll eyes and be automatically give you the "stink eye" (this is before we've even been seated/ and without any whiny/annoying child in tow). We've encountered tons of discrimination over the years---here and there, beginning with being pregnant...(few would offer a seat for you on a crowded bus, for instance). Many of the kids you run into at many of the parks are not with their parents---mostly nannies that tend to hang out with one another (depending on neighborhood). There are very few stay at home parents in the City anymore--cost is definitely a factor!

I think San Francisco is just very young and very transient, can be very judgmental and many are escaping other places where there might be a lot of pressure to conform/marry young/have kids/not turn out gay/be religious...just my opinion. It's become overly anti-family over the years, to be honest.

It's a wonderful and beautiful City for sure---it's still my "home", but the demographic of who stays to make a life there has totally changed that I really appreciate NOT living there anymore...despite having a lot of my family still there. Few of my family and friends that DID stay, know their neighbors anymore, kids are all in different schools (a school lottery situation that probably would not effect you as a homeschooler), and parents that are more tiger mom over hippie mom. Homeschooling as you mentioned, is somewhat frowned upon (too associated with religion). No offense at all....not to say that there isn't a thriving community of that---I honestly don't know or personally know anyone that's done that.

Just wanted to give a little differing perspective. Please though---look into ALL opinions of people WITH kids, actually doing it successfully---I know there are families that exist that love the City and seem to thrive despite the challenges that me and my friends with kids have experienced.

Let me also add, that living in some parts of the City would actually put your husband in the hour long commute category. I used to live with kids in the Sunset---right on the N Judah line--my husband worked in the Financial District and it would take him about an hour---that's if the train didn't experience a problem.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:19 AM

150 posts, read 298,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
NYC does totally seem cool with kids/families. I'm from San Francisco and I honestly don't want to completely put you off about the possibility of having a great experience of living in the City with kids---it can and has been done---but from my own experiences, after having children in the City, the vibe and stress were ultimately not great for us (this was many years ago, when perhaps more families, more community spirit, and less wealth were floating around).

Something that I haven't read about yet here that affected us quite a bit for a time----the anti-kid "vibe". For some reason (my parents didn't experience it when I was a kid) but a lot of people that have moved in over the past 20 or so years can be quite nasty/rude when you show up nearly anywhere with a younger kid-- Even if you're at a lunch spot right next to a kid's museum at lunchtime! Just showing up in a restaurant with a kid, people will roll eyes and be automatically give you the "stink eye" (this is before we've even been seated/ and without any whiny/annoying child in tow). We've encountered tons of discrimination over the years---here and there, beginning with being pregnant...(few would offer a seat for you on a crowded bus, for instance). Many of the kids you run into at many of the parks are not with their parents---mostly nannies that tend to hang out with one another (depending on neighborhood). There are very few stay at home parents in the City anymore--cost is definitely a factor!

I think San Francisco is just very young and very transient, can be very judgmental and many are escaping other places where there might be a lot of pressure to conform/marry young/have kids/not turn out gay/be religious...just my opinion. It's become overly anti-family over the years, to be honest.

It's a wonderful and beautiful City for sure---it's still my "home", but the demographic of who stays to make a life there has totally changed that I really appreciate NOT living there anymore...despite having a lot of my family still there. Few of my family and friends that DID stay, know their neighbors anymore, kids are all in different schools (a school lottery situation that probably would not effect you as a homeschooler), and parents that are more tiger mom over hippie mom. Homeschooling as you mentioned, is somewhat frowned upon (too associated with religion). No offense at all....not to say that there isn't a thriving community of that---I honestly don't know or personally know anyone that's done that.

Just wanted to give a little differing perspective. Please though---look into ALL opinions of people WITH kids, actually doing it successfully---I know there are families that exist that love the City and seem to thrive despite the challenges that me and my friends with kids have experienced.

Let me also add, that living in some parts of the City would actually put your husband in the hour long commute category. I used to live with kids in the Sunset---right on the N Judah line--my husband worked in the Financial District and it would take him about an hour---that's if the train didn't experience a problem.
Very, very helpful. Thank you so much.

I know the anti-kid vibe of which you speak. We have definitely experienced it in some places. (I can actually rant at length about it, but I'll spare you all.) This is one of the reasons we're very drawn to neighborhoods like Park Slope. When we've hung out there, there are kids everywhere. When we went out to eat, kids in every restaurant, stroller parking outside. It was so nice!

But yeah, if SF isn't like that, we would prefer the East Bay. And I know there is a very hoppin' homeschool community over there, mostly secular like us.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:18 AM

58 posts, read 78,697 times
The neighborhood most similar to park slope that I can think of is Noe Valley. I'm not sure if 3 bedroom rentals can be had there for under $5500, but possibly. A slightly cheaper version is probably the Adams Point neighborhood of Oakland.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

A few years ago I was having lunch and coffee with a friend. After we had been there a while. Keep in mind with coffee cups on the table. A family walked in, with 1-2 kids and a stroller. They asked the bartender/hosted if they had coffee and availability.

The hostess said "no we don't serve coffee." Meanwhile the coffee mugs were in plain view, and we were drinking it. And the restaurant wasn't closing for another 30-45 minutes. It was empty as there was only one other patron besides us. We got our bill and left. And posted horrible reviews on Yelp about the ride hostess. I was happy to see the place had closed about 6 months later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland