Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:32 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
No...one of you has a roof over his head and the other does not.
I would rather be homeless than pay to have the privilege of living with other people. The hobo is better off than you actually especially since homeless can make up to 60k a year in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 08:49 AM

11 posts, read 10,804 times
We are moving from the Houston area to the Bay Area next week. Every step of the way it seemed impossible to make it work, but we kept doing the next thing, and here we are finally making the move. The first big obstacle was income. We didn't want to move and have a lower standard of living. We did the math and to achieve that, my husband needed to double his salary. It took almost a year of negotiations but finally we were able to work that part out.

Next, he has worked there for a year while we stayed in Texas to make sure the job was going to work out before selling our house in Texas. Then we needed to decide on an area to live. Since my husband was working there, he had time to visit open houses and drive around neighborhoods narrowing down the here we want to live. We need a bigger house because we have 5 children, but we don't need to live in a good school district because we are homeschoolers.

We ended up buying a house in Vallejo Architechtural Heritage District. My husband's commute to San Ramon is shorter than it was in 22 years in Houston. I do know that one trade off will be living in a higher crime area, but we have an alarm system, big dogs and nice neighbors so I'm pretty sure that part will be okay.

The good news is that my husband loves his new job and we were able to make all of the financial pieces work although it did take 2 years to get to the actual moving part.

I just wanted to encourage you that it can be done, but don't expect it to be fast at easy.

Good Luck!

Old 07-03-2016, 07:26 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Door Knob View Post
We are moving from the Houston area to the Bay Area next week. Every step of the way it seemed impossible to make it work, but we kept doing the next thing, and here we are finally making the move. The first big obstacle was income. We didn't want to move and have a lower standard of living. We did the math and to achieve that, my husband needed to double his salary. It took almost a year of negotiations but finally we were able to work that part out.

Next, he has worked there for a year while we stayed in Texas to make sure the job was going to work out before selling our house in Texas. Then we needed to decide on an area to live. Since my husband was working there, he had time to visit open houses and drive around neighborhoods narrowing down the here we want to live. We need a bigger house because we have 5 children, but we don't need to live in a good school district because we are homeschoolers.

We ended up buying a house in Vallejo Architechtural Heritage District. My husband's commute to San Ramon is shorter than it was in 22 years in Houston. I do know that one trade off will be living in a higher crime area, but we have an alarm system, big dogs and nice neighbors so I'm pretty sure that part will be okay.

The good news is that my husband loves his new job and we were able to make all of the financial pieces work although it did take 2 years to get to the actual moving part.

I just wanted to encourage you that it can be done, but don't expect it to be fast at easy.

Good Luck!
Just out of curiosity, do you know what the political climate is in Vallejo and the area where you're moving? Are you OK with that, being that you are home schooling your 5 kids? San Francisco, Oakland, Berkley and the entire region up there (including Vallejo) is extremely liberal.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:23 PM

11 posts, read 10,804 times
That is a really good question. We do not homeschool for religious reasons, but because I'm a former public school teacher so I can give my kids individualized instruction while still allowing them to have time to spend on their passions.

My 17 year old was the most reluctant to move, which is understandable considering her age. She hates the rodeo and the rednecks and the intolerance that some people here have, so I told her that when we get there she will feel like she has found her people. She has been spending the summer with friends in Carmel and she told me not to bother buying her a return ticket to say bye to anyone here, so I just might have been right.

I'm sure there will be an adjustment, but We are not politically conservative...so there is that.

Last edited by Door Knob; 07-03-2016 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 06:28 PM

318 posts, read 337,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Door Knob View Post

Good Luck!
UPDATE !!!!! Thanks for the info

Well we were kinda discouraged after looking for apartments seeing the expensive rents $2300-2600 for one bedrooms in Fremont area. But San Jose is cheaper and has more options

So we just got some great info, Wife has interview next week with a hospital in SAN JOSE and they have a free insurance for our whole family $1,000 deductible because of the Union there ! This is major, in Texas to have something like this teaching it's $700-800 a check & in nursing it's $400-500.

So since I don't have insurance coming out and were (married) pay checks are now estimating $2,300 for me & $2,700 for my wife. So we're hoping here interview goes well

I have 2 school districts wanting to hire me one 15-20 min drive from her job other 25-30 Mins from her job. both very supportive and are really trying to get me out there. One I may be able to get coaching job at also!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 AM

59 posts, read 47,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
I've been researching San Diego area and Southern California for years jobs ,crazy house prices, renting etc since we visited 3 years ago, which is where we wanted to live but our fields in education & nursing didn't pay as much and I didn't have a potential offer.

PAY / JOBS / SAVINGS/DEBT ----- I randomly applied to a few jobs in Bayarea and got calls quick, possibly might take a job when the school year starts in August $80,000 for 187days, Wife's a nurse looking at $50+ a hour, so around $100k working 3 days a week if she can find something by then. These are big raises from our pay in Houston area. We both have our masters so potential to move up if we stayed longer. We have about $60k in savings, and about $550 in monthly debt between the both of us. Wife can do travel nursing try to get contracts and get the housing aissatnce but we don't want to count on that.

US/ HOUSTON --- 28 & 30 Were super frugal, travel, love going to sporting by events college/professional. Houston area but the heat is really getting to us every summer & we've done everything here from shows, sporting events, Restaurants, visiting Galveston beach on weekends after that it's pretty much not much to do or see but work and look forward to the next vacation. Weather is brutal and hot so outdoor activities aren't big here even tho we still run and play basketball in the heat to excerise, but you can't wait to get back inside your AC car to get back home. Houston is still a great place especially if you never lived here before.

CALIIFORNIA ---- When we visit Southern California it's a different vibe with weather and things to do because it's all fresh to us. You can actually go to parks, beaches, walk around ride bikes, eat outside without worrying about the heat. Can drive to so many different other cities on weekend trips & even see more. However We've never been to the BAY AREA so would be moving there Without trying it out.

BAY AREA - it's brutal out there I see the home prices & rent prices and understand we won't be making much compared to everyone in the tech world, it's seems like right now is the highest it's ever been in history. We don't plan to even think about buying out there we know we couldn't afford, would maybe stay for a year or 2 and be on to our next location. We want to continue seeing new places, but actually live/work there VS just 4 day vacations.

QUESTIONS -

On $80k how much would I bring home a check with the state taxes ???

What's good areas to rent that aren't super far from MILPITAS, HAYWARD, FREMONT areas that could maybe be a deal at least safe, school districts aren't a issue.

Do we need to bring both our cars living in this area ???

Anyone travel nurse in BAYAREA, do they still pay those super high apartment rates during your contracts ?

Would you rent a condo, townhouse or APARTMENT in our situation ?

Anyone from Texas have advice and what are sporting event prices compared to Astros, rockets, Texans out here ??

-------

Anyone considering to move to Houston?? I will tell you anything you need to know... THANKS !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
UPDATE !!!!! Thanks for the info

Well we were kinda discouraged after looking for apartments seeing the expensive rents $2300-2600 for one bedrooms in Fremont area. But San Jose is cheaper and has more options

So we just got some great info, Wife has interview next week with a hospital in SAN JOSE and they have a free insurance for our whole family $1,000 deductible because of the Union there ! This is major, in Texas to have something like this teaching it's $700-800 a check & in nursing it's $400-500.

So since I don't have insurance coming out and were (married) pay checks are now estimating $2,300 for me & $2,700 for my wife. So we're hoping here interview goes well

I have 2 school districts wanting to hire me one 15-20 min drive from her job other 25-30 Mins from her job. both very supportive and are really trying to get me out there. One I may be able to get coaching job at also!
This is fantastic news! Please keep us up to date how it all goes for you. We are in the same boat. Your example is sort of my model for relocating to SF, being a teacher and all.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:38 AM

The Bayarea is soooooooo nice a lot to do, people are really cool and laid back at my job. It's been totally different so far

Old 09-03-2016, 10:11 AM

16 posts, read 9,821 times
We're in the process of leaving Houston for the Bay Area ourselves. Houston has been good to us overall but there are some things we just can't look past anymore and we are both highly employable out there (non tech, as well). Glad to hear the success stories. We won't be far behind!

Old 09-03-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredofTexas View Post
We're in the process of leaving Houston for the Bay Area ourselves. Houston has been good to us overall but there are some things we just can't look past anymore and we are both highly employable out there (non tech, as well). Glad to hear the success stories. We won't be far behind!
It all depends on your salary, family, size, if you want to rent or buy, it's ALOT of different areas to live here depending on where your job is. Be aware of the state tax. I can give you a lot of advice on what to expect coming from Houston & different areas. The only thing more expensive is housing & gas is like 75cent more on average.

What area do you live in Houston ? Job salaries ? We came from Clearlake area

Old 09-03-2016, 11:21 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
[sarcasm]How can you guys want to move here, since you can't afford to buy a single family home in an excellent school district? Surely you live in poverty? [/sarcasm] lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland