Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 10:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Then you should also be aware that, used correctly, it can and DOES replace a car for MANY users. Probably most users.
It can't be "used correctly" unless you are very lucky.

You can't really take transit to Cupertino and Apple's offices. You can't take efficient transit to the vast majority of Silicon Valley companies. That's why they run shuttles.

I can't take transit to the Peninsula job centers unless I can spend $12-15 each way and about 2.5 hours each way. To visit my friend who lives about 2 miles away, it would take 3 buses and a 1 mile walk to get to her place taking transit. She lives near a major thoroughfare and I am pretty well served by transit. On the weekend buses to downtown only run from 8-8 and best case once every 30 minutes. Not very good, and I live in a fairly transit friendly part of town.

Our transit is not designed to get people to their major destinations: work, school, errands, health care, groceries, social activities, etc. Our transit is designed to get commuters to work and isn't up to the task, since many job "centers" have limited to zero transit access.

Quote:
How so? Because they can't afford a single family home? See above.
The middle class can't afford a family sized home. We don't even build family-sized places anymore. We have very limited inventory and it is very expensive. One of 20 housing units in my neighborhood and the surrounding ones has more than 2 bedrooms. And maybe one of four of five housing units have 2 bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 10:37 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It can't be "used correctly" unless you are very lucky.

You can't really take transit to Cupertino and Apple's offices.
Sure you can. Bus 23 drops you off less than a mile away, a fifteen minute walk. You can get there from downtown San Jose on bus 323 (the limited stop version of 23) in about 45 minutes. People with Apple IDs are seen on 23 and 323 all the time, especially during commute hours.

I used to take 23 all the time when I was attending De Anza College in Cupertino. It drops you off right across the street from the campus.

Quote:
You can't take efficient transit to the vast majority of Silicon Valley companies. That's why they run shuttles.
No, it's really because some of their employees feel that transit is beneath them. Those same companies usually give the employees a free transit pass.

Quote:
Our transit is not designed to get people to their major destinations: work, school, errands, health care, groceries, social activities, etc.
Well, people use it for all that. I do.

Quote:
The middle class can't afford a family sized home.
They can't afford a single family home. They can afford a condo or an apartment (rented or owned).

Quote:
We don't even build family-sized places anymore.
Can't speak for Oakland, but here in San Jose, we have hundreds of units planned:

The San Jose Blog: Epic list of Downtown San Jose projects

Old 08-07-2016, 11:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Sure you can. Bus 23 drops you off less than a mile away, a fifteen minute walk. You can get there from downtown San Jose on bus 323 (the limited stop version of 23) in about 45 minutes. People with Apple IDs are seen on 23 and 323 all the time, especially during commute hours.

I used to take 23 all the time when I was attending De Anza College in Cupertino. It drops you off right across the street from the campus.

No, it's really because some of their employees feel that transit is beneath them. Those same companies usually give the employees a free transit pass.
Nope, it is because it is not efficient for public transit to serve office parks. It is too low density and the distances are too far. Even if there was a bus, it would only run once and hour and take forever. No one wants to take a bus for 60 minutes when the car ride is 10-15 minutes. Downtown San Jose is not a center or hub for the region. We live in a metro that is very dispersed and people come from every direction to get to all sorts of destinations. Unlike in places like Chicago and NYC where there is a central business distract that most people go to, places like "Silicon Valley" have no heart or hub. So it is impossible to build great transit, unless things get denser. And deser development gets consistently blocked.

Quote:
They can't afford a single family home. They can afford a condo or an apartment (rented or owned).

Can't speak for Oakland, but here in San Jose, we have hundreds of units planned:

The San Jose Blog: Epic list of Downtown San Jose projects
And of those hundreds of units, very few will have 3 bedrooms. We have hundreds of units planned in Oakland as well. And In a building with 100 units, there might be five with 3 bedrooms. And in a rare case, eight to ten. That is not exactly leaving room for families.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:00 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
Quote:
How so? Because they can't afford a single family home? See above.
Are you trolling? Serious question.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:49 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Weird, I thought you said you lived in Silicon Valley,
Yeah im confused? I thought neutrino lived in sj, not a "vibrant cultural place?"

Old 08-08-2016, 09:04 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Your links are not discussing the influence these cities have on the world. Silicon Valley is in the pantheon of the World's Great Cities. Denver, not so much. I'm sure some people in London have heard of Denver, but many more have heard of Silicon Valley.
It is actually is. Feel free to provide a ranking of the world's most influential cities that show San Jose at the top or anywhere near places like London, Paris, etc.. I'll be waiting...

Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Nope, it is because it is not efficient for public transit to serve office parks. It is too low density and the distances are too far.
What are you talking about? Transit goes to office parks all the time. Just for an example off the top of my head, bus 23/323, the one that goes to Cupertino from downtown San Jose, stops at many office parks.

Quote:
Downtown San Jose is not a center or hub for the region.
It is one of the main hubs in Silicon Valley. Palo Alto is another; Santa Clara is another.

Quote:
And of those hundreds of units, very few will have 3 bedrooms. We have hundreds of units planned in Oakland as well. And In a building with 100 units, there might be five with 3 bedrooms. And in a rare case, eight to ten. That is not exactly leaving room for families.
Yeah...unrealistic housing expectations. How many apartments in New York City have ten rooms? Who needs ten rooms?

A family with two spouses and one kid needs TWO ROOMS. If they have two kids, they need maybe three rooms (if the kids are different genders). Ten rooms is not the minimum to be considered family size by any means. That would be two rooms.

You guys need to accept that this region is a Great City at this point. If you can't get a ten room dwelling in London on a middle class salary, don't expect it here. For the same reason.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:15 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Transit in Silicon Valley is terrible:

"A quarter of a century ago, Santa Clara County's first light-rail train left the station as excited supporters heralded a new wave of state-of-the-art transportation to match the region's burgeoning high-tech industry.

But there was no grand celebration this month as Silicon Valley marked 25 years of light rail.

The near-empty trolleys that often shuttle by at barely faster than jogging speeds serve as a constant reminder that the car is still king in Silicon Valley -- and that the Valley Transportation Authority's trains are among the least successful in the nation by any metric. Today, fewer than 1 percent of the county's residents ride the trains daily, while it costs the rest of the region -- taxpayers at large -- about $10 to subsidize every rider's round trip."

25 years later, VTA light rail among the nation's worst - Mercury News

Old 08-08-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
It is actually is. Feel free to provide a ranking of the world's most influential cities that show San Jose at the top or anywhere near places like London, Paris, etc.. I'll be waiting...
I did already.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...San_Jose-3.pdf

https://hbr.org/2014/12/what-still-m...ley-so-special

Empire of the geeks | The Economist

Concentrated Economic Power and Silicon Valley

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-s...er-john-mathon

Silicon Valley has a chance to influence cyber security policy: column

I guess if you're not familiar with world politics and finance you might think that Silicon Valley is some backwater place that has no influence, but most who know anything about the subject would disagree.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Transit in Silicon Valley is terrible:
Says a guy who never uses it.

I love laughing at the losers sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, GOING THE SAME ROUTE AS ME, as I blow past them at 55 mph on Light Rail in the median of highway 87.

Half the people in New York City don't own a car. The other half claim that the subway is terrible. Except it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland