Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:50 PM

274 posts, read 860,866 times

Advertisements

If there is I can't find it.

good: great income, Marin county and Monterey bay area is nice those would be the only 2 places I'd want to live in if I stayed here.

bad: traffic,traffic, cost of housing more than 50% + of income, traffic, after spending long hours weekly commuting to tired to go anywhere. Cost of everything which means less disposable income.

and it's cold here. Very, very few really nice hot days in SF.

SF public transit is filthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 04:36 PM

1,099 posts, read 902,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post

good: great income, Marin county and Monterey bay area is nice those would be the only 2 places I'd want to live in if I stayed here.

bad: traffic,traffic, cost of housing more than 50% + of income, traffic, after spending long hours weekly commuting to tired to go anywhere. Cost of everything which means less disposable income.

I gotta disagree with you on some of your points. The weather has actually been pretty darn good this year and last. We've had quite a few days in the mid 70s and some pretty good runs of unseasonably warm weather. And of course, we're about to hit that time of year (happens every year when the kids go back to school), when the weather will get downright hot. Starting in March, we rarely went cooler than 60. But check this out...

April 5-7 79,86,73
April 16-21 79, 83, 82, 80,75,70
May 1 80
May 6 80
May 17 87
May 18 73
May 26-June 7th Not a day below 70
June 11-12 80, 76
June 16-21 Not a day below 72 (peaking at 84)
June 23rd-27 No days below 70
June 30 - July 4 No days below 70

I could go on, but we've had tons of days over 70 and some in the 80s. You couldn't get a nicer year than this one (not to mention the incredible microclimates in the Bay Area...80's are usually no more than 10-15 miles away).

How bad is your commute? I don't bat an eye at an hour, but maybe you're longer or have a crappier commute than mine? I get so caught up with news, music, and hands free conversation that I barely notice it. 101 gets a little backed up, but 280 is pretty free flowing so I just kick in the cruise control and I'm just watching other cars and enjoying myself and the nice scenic drive.

Yeah COL sucks...no doubt about that (try doing some free stuff...plenty of that in the city and great neighborhoods to walk around). We have an awesome walk in my neighborhood that I take periodically (San Bruno Mountain...great view of the city). The wife and I went down to Golden Gate park earlier today and had a great walk. Get out and get some exercise...that energy will come back.

It's not so bad. And if it ever gets to the breaking point, you can move for greener pastures and a lower COL. My wife and I will be out of here eventually, but for now, it's been home for 50 years.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:47 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times
Quote:

While the Bay Area isn't the kind of place I'd want to live long-term, it still offers quite a lot if you don't mind certain things. There are a lot of great ethnic restaurants, hiking areas and nice places to walk around.

The cons eventually outweighed the pros for my personal taste, which is why I moved out, but the Bay Area has a lot of great qualities too. Also, some of my cons are pros for other people.

I absolutely hate the cold weather, homelessness/poverty, trashy streets, brown dried up landscapes much of the year and ugly expensive housing...

...but to some the homeless crack heads give the city character, the cold windy foggy weather reminds them of being in a Steven King movie, the dried up landscape gives them reason to look forward to the frigid winter, the ugly houses also gives character and the trash sometimes has some salvageable tasty nom noms where you can post on Facebook with the caption "YASSSSSSSSSS!".

Last edited by bmw335xi; 09-05-2016 at 04:55 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 10:58 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,463,472 times
Quote:

There is if you have enough money and live in the parts of the bay with sunshine.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:13 AM

1,099 posts, read 902,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
There is if you have enough money and live in the parts of the bay with sunshine.
Yeah, he's right. You can get a whopping 3 more days of Sunshine if you go to San Diego, or 32 more in LA (Woo Hoo!). It doesn't matter how much proof you show these guys, they'll insist San Francisco has no sun, it's foggy all the time, and never breaks 70 degrees.

I don't waste my time with it as some people are always looking to start an argument despite all proof to the contrary.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...f-sunshine.php

Of course you can always move to places like Hot-lanta, Austin, Houston, Jacksonville, or Orlando (all areas known for hot weather) and enjoy even more fog

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ity-annual.php

This chart only goes through 1990, but as you compare 2014-2015, you'll see what I'm talking about by the chart below (and 2016 has been even better.....yeah, the last three years have kicked ass and it's similar to the peaks between 1985-2000)

The topic isn't really debatable. The proof is there for those that don't have blinders on.

You won't get three nicer years in this area than the last three we've had and we have a warming trend going on. If it's not warm enough for some than clearly this isn't the place for you.

Forecast for rest of September- 17 out of 24 days over 70 and only one day without sunshine. Rock on!

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 09-06-2016 at 06:47 AM..

Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 AM

36,664 posts, read 67,591,134 times
Quote:
No place appeals to all people. That's your problem.

Quote:
Good thing no one asked.

Quote:
Yawns. Cry me a river.

Quote:
Sorry boo but anything over 80 is too hot for me. To each his own.

Quote:
I drive.

These weak, whiny posts get tiresome.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:44 AM

197 posts, read 271,603 times
As someone who moved to the Bay from a lower COL state, and immediately moved back after a year:

Your quality of life significantly improved in terms of things to do and see, nature, history, oceans, etc.

If you are middle class, your quality of life will significantly decrease in terms of housing.
If you're single, or married with no kids, you might find it acceptable. If you have children like we do, the sacrifice we thought would be fine was not fine.

Just couldn't live in old small crappy housing. No amount of the Bay Area fun could offset the sacrifice in where we lived.

Need $200,000 income to have a decent life with a family.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:12 AM

675 posts, read 1,191,245 times
I loved living in the Bay Area. The quality of life was way better than my NYC experience (born and raised, lived there until I was 36, moved back at age 43). I feel the Bay Area is way more chill than NYC. I always felt way more laid back in the Bay Area. Commute didn't bother me (35 minutes on the BART as opposed to over an hour every day while living in NY on Mass Transit). There are more issues as far as cancellations and delays on my commute every week in NYC as there were in 7 years living in the Bay. The overall beauty, and speed of life seems way more chill. At work I was in management. I was told to ease off people on my team, I was being too intense, but that was my NY attitude, and work pace I was used to. Once I slowed down, definitely enjoyed life more.

I love the quality of life in the Bay Area, quick trips to Napa and Sausalito on weekends always felt like heaven to me.

It really is all relative, I came from NYC, so I had to learn to slow down, if you come from some slow moving laid back city, SF and the Bay Area may seem hectic to you, therefore you might feel there is no quality of life. But I loved it.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:49 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,640,493 times
I am pretty open to realistic criticism of the Bay Area, but I think yours is pretty weak.

First of all traffic. I am not going to post it again, but actual studies have found that the commute times in the bay area are among the best among all major metro areas in America. You clearly have never commuted by car in LA, Atlanta, Vegas, Chicago or NYC. I have lived here for 7 years now and I have very rarely been stuck in traffic. I plan trips around traffic, I know shortcuts, I know when events that could block traffic, such as marathons and festivals, are. It is very easy to avoid. I also live in the city and my commute to work is 15-20 mins.

Public transportation is not filthy. I take it all the time and filthy has almost never come to mind. Have you taken public transport in other cities? The subway in NYC is dirtier in my view.

I personally love it here. The two things that really bother me are the politics and the trash within the city. Other than that, I think the Bay Area is amazing and as long as you can afford it, I think it is harder to find a better place to live.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,690,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
I gotta disagree with you on some of your points. The weather has actually been pretty darn good this year and last. We've had quite a few days in the mid 70s and some pretty good runs of unseasonably warm weather. And of course, we're about to hit that time of year (happens every year when the kids go back to school), when the weather will get downright hot. Starting in March, we rarely went cooler than 60. But check this out...

April 5-7 79,86,73
April 16-21 79, 83, 82, 80,75,70
May 1 80
May 6 80
May 17 87
May 18 73
May 26-June 7th Not a day below 70
June 11-12 80, 76
June 16-21 Not a day below 72 (peaking at 84)
June 23rd-27 No days below 70
June 30 - July 4 No days below 70

I could go on, but we've had tons of days over 70 and some in the 80s. You couldn't get a nicer year than this one (not to mention the incredible microclimates in the Bay Area...80's are usually no more than 10-15 miles away).
SF just had the coldest August in 74 years and it didn't even hit 70 once. July wasn't much better either.

Fogust: San Francisco shivers through coldest August days in 74 years - SFGate
SF shivers as July temperatures plunge below February's average - SFGate

The coastal climate here is pretty terrible overall in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland