Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:19 PM

80 posts, read 95,770 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be graduating grad school this December and I recently accepted a job at a tech company. I have the option to work in Atlanta, making $105k, or here in SF making $120k. I'm having a hard time making a decision between the two. I know my money will go much further in Georgia, but I have friends and family in the Bay Area.

I'm pretty much looking for insight that might sway my decision. Everything helps!

Also, where do young professionals who work in SF, live in the Bay Area? (My office is right by the first exit off the Bay Bridge.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 03:51 PM

473 posts, read 521,423 times
If you're single and in your 20s or early 30s, I'd say move to the Bay Area if that's what your heart is telling you to do. You can always transfer to the Atlanta office down the road (and probably keep the higher salary). Money isn't everything.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:23 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
That's a good starting salary for the Bay Area. And since you have family there, you pretty much know what you'll be getting into (COL, traffic, etc.) So I'd go for it, if I were you. If you later decide it's not for you, you can always transfer.

Just curious; would you be able to live with your family members, at least at first? That would make a HUGE difference, because it would allow you to save pretty quickly for a downpayment on a house. That would be a ridiculously big advantage.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:31 PM

80 posts, read 95,770 times
@WanderingFar, I hadn't really considered the possibility of going to ATL after being in SF, but that's a good point. Thanks!

@Ruth4Truth, My family is in Hayward and already confirmed they would let me stay there rent free. You're right, it would make a huge difference. The stubborn, and admittedly prideful side of me wants my own place, even though I know it's not the best thing to do financially. I hadn't even considered looking for a house of my own at this point. I just assumed that was out of reach in the Bay Area.

Would love to get feedback on where single young professionals live that work in SF.

Last edited by Ambitions; 09-29-2016 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-29-2016, 06:50 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
You'll live a rich lifestyle in Atlanta on that salary and a average lifestyle in SF. Take a trip to SF and decide which city you like more and if you end up liking SF more, think about if you like it enough to give up the high life in Atlanta.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:02 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitions View Post
I'm going to be graduating grad school this December and I recently accepted a job at a tech company. I have the option to work in Atlanta, making $105k, or here in SF making $120k. I'm having a hard time making a decision between the two.
I lived in both Atlanta and SF and greatly prefer Atlanta. The prices for many things are in the twilight zone in SF. $120k in SF will feel like $40k in Atlanta especially when you want to eventually buy a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitions View Post
Also, where do young professionals who work in SF, live in the Bay Area? (My office is right by the first exit off the Bay Bridge.)
Five years ago they used to live in the western part of the Mission. Look at the area by 18th and Guerrero for an example. Now everywhere is so expensive they live anywhere they can find. Maybe in Oakland.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:26 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
If you want to live on your own, go for ATL. You'll be making enough to save and live comfortably.
However, if you want to get a jumpstart on retirement and a rainy day fund or downpayment, staying with your family in Hayward is a huge advantage.

It comes down to what you value more. I tend to like adventures and trying a new city.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:47 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
If you want to live on your own, go for ATL. You'll be making enough to save and live comfortably.
However, if you want to get a jumpstart on retirement and a rainy day fund or downpayment, staying with your family in Hayward is a huge advantage.

It comes down to what you value more. I tend to like adventures and trying a new city.
This sums it up pretty well. The greatest expense for most people in the Bay Area is the rent. It'll be a somewhat lengthy commute from Hayward to SF with BART (an hour or more each way), so that'll be a bit of a slog, but the OPC can save up a lot of money to do trips elsewhere, though eating two hours a day each day for the commute might rub some people the wrong way.

You'll also save up some money by not having to own a car in the Bay Area. It's highly recommended to own a car in Atlanta, even if you live in a walkable neighborhood and your workplace can be reached via mass transit though if you've got the latter, then you get by without a car.

OP, where in Atlanta would your workplace be if you went with that option? Have you visited Atlanta before? It's a pretty fun place if you haven't. If your workplace is in Midtown or Downtown, then you can ostensibly live within those neighborhoods in the heart of the city and simply walk to work. It'd free up a lot of time for other things (and potentially allow you to forego having a car) which could be great.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-30-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 07:50 AM

187 posts, read 206,476 times
You're young, single, and in tech - don't mess around with Atlanta. Take the job in SF and live in either SF or Oakland. You may want to stay with your fam in Hayward for a few months while deciding exactly where to live but you really want to get to the City or Oaktown asap. Things are crazy expensive in the bay but you'll be able to afford a small apt in a reasonably cool area on $120K. Realistically, all the exciting things to do for young people in the bay area are centered around SF and Oakland.

Down the road, when you're considering settling down and starting a family, Atlanta (along with many other cities not in the bay area) would be a fantastic place to consider. In fact, I often fantasize about relocating to someplace else - North Carolina, Pacific Northwest, New Mexico, the list goes on ...

BTW, feel free to PM me if you want more details about working in tech and living in the bay area (both pros and cons).

Old 09-30-2016, 01:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejerryronnie View Post
You're young, single, and in tech - don't mess around with Atlanta. Take the job in SF and live in either SF or Oakland. You may want to stay with your fam in Hayward for a few months while deciding exactly where to live but you really want to get to the City or Oaktown asap. Things are crazy expensive in the bay but you'll be able to afford a small apt in a reasonably cool area on $120K. Realistically, all the exciting things to do for young people in the bay area are centered around SF and Oakland.

Down the road, when you're considering settling down and starting a family, Atlanta (along with many other cities not in the bay area) would be a fantastic place to consider. In fact, I often fantasize about relocating to someplace else - North Carolina, Pacific Northwest, New Mexico, the list goes on ...

BTW, feel free to PM me if you want more details about working in tech and living in the bay area (both pros and cons).
Agree with this. Or, given all the tech opportunities here, barring any major recession, you could significantly increase your base and bonus by changing jobs over the next 10 years. Not sure, if that can be done in Atlanta. Plus, you're young if you like SF, then live and work there, or Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland