Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 01:25 PM

830 posts, read 486,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFsucks View Post
I am leaving the filthy city by next month and can't wait!
To which perfect paradise are you moving?

I agree with much of what you say about SF, but even though I could live anywhere I've chosen to stay in Sf for the past 20 years. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for, but the list of "great" cities in the US is probably pretty short.

Anyways, IMO, the pros and cons of SF:

Pros:
* Pretty Safe
* Weather
* Great options for weekend getaways
* Great walking city
* Decent restaurants

Cons:
* Everything closes early
* Homelessness and property crimes
* Lack of cultural diversity
* Expensive
* Public transport into and out of the city

A lot of the above depends on what cities you're comparing with SF. The other city I've considered is NYC, which I consider a great city. Of course SF (or any other city) will lose to NY on certain metrics (live music, goings-on, etc), but so will every other city in the world. But I've had days where I woke up in the morning, went hiking in the Marin Headlands with friends, stopped in Sonoma for wine tasting and was back at Davies Symphony Hall for a concert that evening. Try doing *that* in New York!

Also, the weather. Sure, it is cool and foggy in SF in July and August. But if you want, you can head 30 minutes outside of the city and avoid it. I know it's personal preference, but what cities in the US have better weather? Those summer nights come with a steep price in most areas: Hot, humid days, mosquitos and long freezing winters. I'll take SF, thanks!

Last edited by Dapper Zoom; 09-02-2018 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 03:49 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFsucks View Post
I am leaving the filthy city by next month and can't wait!
Looks like you moved to Austin TX... how original, lol.

With all the Californians moving to Austin, it'll be just like SF in no time! Except with heat/humidity and bugs. Eventually you'll start whining about everything that sucks in TX, and moving to the next trendy "ex-pat" city. Have fun, but if this happens more than a few times, you might wanna look at yourself before criticizing whatever town you're living in.

Quote:
The so called "mild" weather in SF is also terrible. No real summer in the city!
That happens to be one of my FAVORITE things about SF! I'm originally from Maryland, so yes - I am very familiar with "real summers," complete with the stifling heat and humidity. It's the main reason my family moved here (when my father was offered a transfer) in 1983, and why none of us have gone back to the east coast since. I'll take cool and mild any day, and if you really want a bit of heat, you can drive 20 minutes in any direction to find it. I'm down in the south bay now, and it's often 20+ degrees warmer in the peak of summer. I'd move back to SF in a heartbeat if my job wasn't down here, and I hadn't been priced out since leaving in 2011. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-02-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 06:36 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post

Also, the weather. Sure, it is cool and foggy in SF in July and August. But if you want, you can head 30 minutes outside of the city and avoid it. I know it's personal preference, but what cities in the US have better weather? Those summer nights come with a steep price in most areas: Hot, humid days, mosquitos and long freezing winters. I'll take SF, thanks!
I often hear that one and the practicality of it escapes me. The likelihood of you driving 30 minutes outside the city to get to some "nice" weather is kinda silly when you work in the city and either live there or are close enough to experience the colder weather. On a typical work day, you are going to work and going home. I'm not much on the hiking scene, so going to the East Bay or Peninsula is not at all on the agenda on a weekend. Sure, the option is there, but as much as people talk about microclimates, I think the tendency is to stay closer to home (so you're not really experiencing anything but the cold and fog). I also find it odd in that if you're in the city, then it appears that's where you want to be, but now you're saying you should leave it to experience better weather. So what's the point?

I'm always amazed how people always want to bad mouth other areas of the country because the weather is warmer and then they'll try and paint the worst possible picture (i.e. mosquitoes, long freezing winters, etc.). Hate to burst the narrative, but not everywhere in the country has all the negative things people always like to point out. And of course, there's that cost of living thing that always seems to get discounted (and yet it's one of the highest priorities for most families).

Old 09-03-2018, 09:03 AM

653 posts, read 463,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
I often hear that one and the practicality of it escapes me. The likelihood of you driving 30 minutes outside the city to get to some "nice" weather is kinda silly when you work in the city and either live there or are close enough to experience the colder weather. On a typical work day, you are going to work and going home. I'm not much on the hiking scene, so going to the East Bay or Peninsula is not at all on the agenda on a weekend. Sure, the option is there, but as much as people talk about microclimates, I think the tendency is to stay closer to home (so you're not really experiencing anything but the cold and fog). I also find it odd in that if you're in the city, then it appears that's where you want to be, but now you're saying you should leave it to experience better weather. So what's the point?

I'm always amazed how people always want to bad mouth other areas of the country because the weather is warmer and then they'll try and paint the worst possible picture (i.e. mosquitoes, long freezing winters, etc.). Hate to burst the narrative, but not everywhere in the country has all the negative things people always like to point out. And of course, there's that cost of living thing that always seems to get discounted (and yet it's one of the highest priorities for most families).
If you're in the Sunset or Richmond, it can be a bit dreary in the summertime, I'm told. But most other places in San Francisco are cool and sunny (65 degrees) nearly all the time. This feels like springtime where I'm from! Then, if you want to take a quick day trip on the weekend to check out a little nearby town, you can be in 85 degree weather (early summer-like) in 30 minutes.

Then, mix in the no bugs thing and I think that's really perfect.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
If you're in the Sunset or Richmond, it can be a bit dreary in the summertime, I'm told. But most other places in San Francisco are cool and sunny (65 degrees) nearly all the time. This feels like springtime where I'm from! Then, if you want to take a quick day trip on the weekend to check out a little nearby town, you can be in 85 degree weather (early summer-like) in 30 minutes.

Then, mix in the no bugs thing and I think that's really perfect.
Not really Deano (50+ year native here).

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usca0987

And I already stated my thoughts on these "day" trips. Shy of having something specific to do on the Peninsula or in the East Bay, I'm more prone to just stay home in my area, so the microclimate thing doesn't really mean anything to me (sounds like you really didn't read my comment). I also commented on the bug thing and the "freezing cold" winters. I'm always amazed at how people always like to paint the negative picture to fit their narrative. You'd think by many of the comments that outside of the Bay Area, everyone lives is swamp infested areas doing the summer, and below zero temperatures in the winter. Please stop sensationalizing. How much you like the weather is a very personal thing. I understand that some people like the cool, fog like temperatures of San Francisco (that's fine...more power to you). However, there are some (like myself), that don't care for the mid 50 degree average and would like to be in temperatures nearer 75-80 where we live, not 30 minutes away. I think it's OK for us to have a difference of opinion without trying to smear other areas, isn't it?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:51 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,273 times
This June-July-August in San Francisco:

5 days with highs in the 50's, 72 with highs in the 60's, 14 with highs in the 70's, and one day with a high of 80.

Total precipitation 0.01 inches.

This was for the downtown station... in the Richmond/Sunset etc it will be even cooler.

Some people love the cool foggy weather but really there is no semblance of a summer there most years. Also the monotony of the weather being basically the same day after day gets to some people. Of course there is no winter there either, which for many people is a huge positive.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:55 AM

505 posts, read 368,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
SF features a low crime, diverse environment...

Old 09-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Admittedly, the diversity claim is truly comical with 75% of the people being White or Asian.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:49 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Admittedly, the diversity claim is truly comical with 75% of the people being White or Asian.
What, Asian doesn't count? And then there are the other 25% you just mentioned. That sounds like a pretty good mix, to me. A lot better than Seattle or Portland.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What, Asian doesn't count? And then there are the other 25% you just mentioned. That sounds like a pretty good mix, to me. A lot better than Seattle or Portland.
It might be better than Seattle or Portland, but if 75% are two races, that's not exactly what I would call diverse or a melting pot. There's a city right next door (Oakland) that has much more diversity than San Francisco.

According to the 2010 Census, the racial and ethnic composition of Oakland was: White: 34.5% (non-Hispanic: 25.9%) Black or African American: 28.0% Asian: 16.8% (8.7% Chinese, 2.2% Vietnamese, 1.6% Filipino, 0.7% Cambodian, 0.7% Laotian, 0.6% Korean, 0.5% Japanese, 0.5% Indian, 0.1% Mongolian) Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander: 0.6% American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.8% Other race: 13.7% Two or more races: 5.6% Hispanic or Latino of any race: 25.4% (18.1% Mexican, 1.9% Salvadoran, 1.3% Guatemalan, 0.7% Puerto Rican)

Sacramento also is better.

Face it, with San Francisco being one of the highest cost of living in the country, this trend is going to continue and soon that two race figure will probably jump to 85-90%. San Francisco is fast become the total opposite of diversity.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 09-03-2018 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland