Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:49 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

Yeah, viewing Youtube videos totally makes you an expert on the local scene at Venice beach. I mean why travel or live anywhere, you can just view Youtube videos like you and be an expert on anywhere and everywhere!

Do you like being wrong on everything?
As a male I think you and I would be more cognizant of female looks than Ruth and I have to agree that socal has more attractive women. The Bay Area has some attractive women but they are definitely located more in certain areas.
I was talking to a guy in the gym in the Bay Area who had moved from socal and he really complained a lot about the looks of nor cal women compared to where he had moved from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Uh huh. Cute.

Again....

According to the 2010 Census, the racial and ethnic composition of Oakland was: White: 34.5% (non-Hispanic: 25.9%) Black or African American: 28.0% Asian: 16.8% (8.7% Chinese, 2.2% Vietnamese, 1.6% Filipino, 0.7% Cambodian, 0.7% Laotian, 0.6% Korean, 0.5% Japanese, 0.5% Indian, 0.1% Mongolian) Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander: 0.6% American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.8% Other race: 13.7% Two or more races: 5.6% Hispanic or Latino of any race: 25.4% (18.1% Mexican, 1.9% Salvadoran, 1.3% Guatemalan, 0.7% Puerto Rican)

Sacramento also is better.

That's diversity!

Here's a more updated one on San Francisco that supports the claim I made on the previous post about this White/Asian ratio getting into that 85-90% ratio

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...co-population/

San Francisco Demographics
According to the 2015 census estimates, the ethnic makeup of San Francisco was:

White: 53.6% (non-Hispanic: 41%)
Asian: 35.3%
African Americans: 6.1%
Native Americans: 0.8%
Pacific Islanders: 0.5%
Other: 6.6%
Two or more: 4.2%
Hispanic or Latino of any race: 15.3%

The Chinese population of San Francisco represents the single largest ethnic minority group with 21.4% of the population. Other major Asian groups include: Filipinos (4.5%), Vietnamese (1.6%), Japanese (1.3%), Asian Indians (1.2%), Koreans (1.2%), Thais (0.3%), Burmese (0.2%) and Cambodians (0.2%).

The claim that San Francisco is diverse and some kind of a melting pot is a joke.
But the demographics of the US as a whole are Whites: 61%, African-Americans: 12% Latinos: 17%, Asians: 6%.

SF, though not as diverse as it used to be, is still pretty diverse; Whites are only 53.6%, compared to 61% for the US as a whole. Native Americans are just 1% of the US total population, but somehow are managing to hold their own in SF, in spite of the ridiculous housing costs, at 0.8%. The SF Latino population is close to the percentage they have of the total US population.

Are you just mad, because the Asian population has a greater piece of the pie, than it does for the US as a whole? I have news for you; it's always been that way in SF, due to historical processes and its location on the Pacific coast. Are you new to the area? You would have known that, if you were from the Bay Area.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 AM

1,203 posts, read 836,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But the demographics of the US as a whole are Whites: 61%, African-Americans: 12% Latinos: 17%, Asians: 6%.

SF, though not as diverse as it used to be, is still pretty diverse; Whites are only 53.6%, compared to 61% for the US as a whole. Native Americans are just 1% of the US total population, but somehow are managing to hold their own in SF, in spite of the ridiculous housing costs, at 0.8%. The SF Latino population is close to the percentage they have of the total US population.

Are you just mad, because the Asian population has a greater piece of the pie, than it does for the US as a whole? I have news for you; it's always been that way in SF, due to historical processes and its location on the Pacific coast. Are you new to the area? You would have known that, if you were from the Bay Area.
Did we really need to go there, Ruth? It's amazing to me that someone pointing out simple facts has to have accusations thrown their way. We can't have a reasonable conversation here?

No, I'm not mad. I'm pointing out that this silliness about San Francisco having diversity is a lie and it has been for years (as you pointed out in your accusation).

If I'm going to use the term diversity and throw around comments such as "melting pot" (like so many of my friends have over the years), then I would make sure I had numbers in the nationality category much closer to Oakland or Sacramento, and I think that should also be similar in the income category. San Francisco is nothing like that. And no Ruth, I don't care if San Francisco is 100% Asian. If they're smarter than everyone and can command the type of salary to live in San Francisco, then more power to them. But as I commented on and later proved (since in my first example they were 2010 numbers, and in my 2nd example they were from 2015), it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where things are headed (and I didn't know the 2015 numbers when I made that prediction to you). The city has been gentrified. Areas like the Mission district of old, barely exist any more. And it will continue along these lines

I simply wish people would stop fooling themselves with what is nothing more than an urban legend now. San Francisco is not diverse.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 09-04-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-04-2018, 01:08 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Ha! I love the correctness police on these forums. Years ago I was scolded right here on these boards for calling California “Cali”. So when one of my relatives who has been living in California for a number of years said “Cali” instead of “California” I told him I heard Californians don’t use that term. He laughed and said that’s stupid- lots of people do.

My guess is they will say the same about “San Fran”
Not so serious, but every city has its lore ... it's a bit like calling NY's Sixth Ave - Avenue of the America's, or thinking that Gotham's Houston Street sounds like somewhere in Texas.

Last edited by modernist1; 09-04-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-04-2018, 03:15 PM

629 posts, read 620,039 times
Quote:
Did we really need to go there, Ruth? It's amazing to me that someone pointing out simple facts has to have accusations thrown their way. We can't have a reasonable conversation here?

No, I'm not mad. I'm pointing out that this silliness about San Francisco having diversity is a lie and it has been for years (as you pointed out in your accusation).

If I'm going to use the term diversity and throw around comments such as "melting pot" (like so many of my friends have over the years), then I would make sure I had numbers in the nationality category much closer to Oakland or Sacramento, and I think that should also be similar in the income category. San Francisco is nothing like that. And no Ruth, I don't care if San Francisco is 100% Asian. If they're smarter than everyone and can command the type of salary to live in San Francisco, then more power to them. But as I commented on and later proved (since in my first example they were 2010 numbers, and in my 2nd example they were from 2015), it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where things are headed (and I didn't know the 2015 numbers when I made that prediction to you). The city has been gentrified. Areas like the Mission district of old, barely exist any more. And it will continue along these lines

I simply wish people would stop fooling themselves with what is nothing more than an urban legend now. San Francisco is not diverse.
I actually agree with you on something. Add to that, it is also not diverse in arguably the most important way IMO, the diversity of thought. The complete intolerance of alternative viewpoints on almost every issue of significance is staggering. I don't care what color your skin might be, if everyone thinks and acts exactly the same way, you are not truly diverse. An echo chamber with no realistic perspective of the outside world is a sad and dangerous place.

But that's just my opinion...

Old 09-04-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
I actually agree with you on something. Add to that, it is also not diverse in arguably the most important way IMO, the diversity of thought. The complete intolerance of alternative viewpoints on almost every issue of significance is staggering. I don't care what color your skin might be, if everyone thinks and acts exactly the same way, you are not truly diverse. An echo chamber with no realistic perspective of the outside world is a sad and dangerous place.

But that's just my opinion...
Well said Alliance. That also.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:36 PM

830 posts, read 487,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
I agree, but prefer the phrase hive mind when referring to this phenomenon. SF has become somewhat Orwellian in this sense, especially when compared to how it was in the 70s and 80s.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Ha! I love the correctness police on these forums. Years ago I was scolded right here on these boards for calling California “Cali”. So when one of my relatives who has been living in California for a number of years said “Cali” instead of “California” I told him I heard Californians don’t use that term. He laughed and said that’s stupid- lots of people do.

My guess is they will say the same about “San Fran”
Nobody who was born and raised in CA calls it "Cali". Your relatives had only been "living there a number of years", that's why they call it "Cali", and why they have friends who do.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:

That's your personal perspective, though. You define "diversity" your way, I'm just pointing out that compared to the national figures, SF is still pretty diverse. I'm trying to understand your mindset. To locals, the term "diversity" is still representative of SF. So it's not Oakland, Oakland is a bit of an outlier nationally, along with NYC and LA, probably. Not many cities in the US are as diverse as those places.

Is SF less diverse than it used to be? Sure, no argument, but given the numbers, it's still more diverse than most places in the US, and more diverse than the national demographics. Why is this such an emotional issue for you? I get it; newcomers define diversity differently from locals. I used a national metric, which I thought would be an impartial way of looking at it. I didn't know you'd get triggered over my pointing that out, or pointing out SF's long history of having a large Asian minority. To multi-generational Bay Area-ites, it's normal. That's the perspective some of the people you've been talking to are coming from. That's all.

Sheez.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's your personal perspective, though. You define "diversity" your way, I'm just pointing out that compared to the national figures, SF is still pretty diverse. I'm trying to understand your mindset. To locals, the term "diversity" is still representative of SF. So it's not Oakland, Oakland is a bit of an outlier nationally, along with NYC and LA, probably. Not many cities in the US are as diverse as those places.

Is SF less diverse than it used to be? Sure, no argument, but given the numbers, it's still more diverse than most places in the US, and more diverse than the national demographics. Why is this such an emotional issue for you? I get it; newcomers define diversity differently from locals. I used a national metric, which I thought would be an impartial way of looking at it. I didn't know you'd get triggered over my pointing that out, or pointing out SF's long history of having a large Asian minority. To multi-generational Bay Area-ites, it's normal. That's the perspective some of the people you've been talking to are coming from. That's all.

Sheez.
I wasn't the one throwing out accusations (sounds more like you were the one that got triggered). Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not a newcomer (and probably have spent more years in San Francisco than most here). Doesn't sound like you took the time to really understand what I said (in particular that you proved my point by your comment related to Asians).

And your national comparison is one sided. SF also only has 6% Blacks and the average is 12%. The national average on Asians is 5.6%, San Francisco is 35.3%. I have no idea what comparison you're trying to make but you conveniently left out these huge disparities.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 09-04-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland