Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 04:13 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
It's not just amazing, the women in SoCal are all over the modeling magazines around the world. Stephanie Seymour, Naomi Campbell, and more recent, Gigi Hadid are all from SoCal, I could go on and on. That's only the model community. Singers, actresses, etc who are all from SoCal or claim SoCal as their home far outnumber Bay Area personalities known for their beauty.

San Francisco is a great place if you want to meet beta male tech workers, but hot model type women? No thanks.
Some of the most interesting and intelligent women I've ever met were in the Bay Area. I'll take that any day of the week. In my dating days, I dated plenty of pretty attractive (physically) women - so I don't see what the issue is.

I don't really notice a significant difference in "quality of looks" between the Bay Area and the rest of the U.S.

LA certainly attracts more models, and the "standard beauties" (blond, blue eyes, etc.) types, but I don't think you'd find average people in LA to be that different looks wise. Your typical model type isn't dating your typical guy - so much of this discussion is moot for your average person.

But, feel free to continue on with your chest thumping.

I think there are a lot of legitimate reasons not to move to SF these days (and as such, I don't recommend it to my friends anymore) - but I think this "issue" is fairly irrelevant and low on the priority list. Being able to afford it is a much bigger problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 05:00 PM

351 posts, read 342,549 times
The SF Bay Area, where the streets are paved with single young men | Visualizing NYC

this is another reason. Only zip code in Bay Area that doesn't have 10-30%+ more guys than girls is the Marina.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
The SF Bay Area, where the streets are paved with single young men | Visualizing NYC

this is another reason. Only zip code in Bay Area that doesn't have 10-30%+ more guys than girls is the Marina.
You're not good with maps are you?

Old 12-20-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Eh...what? Did you even look at the map you cited?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:24 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,093 times
The economic engine of Los Angeles is Hollywood or entertainment. This is an industry in which it is normative to have plastic surgery to obtain or enhance the attractiveness or beauty needed to obtain employment. Beauty helps people obtain work and earn money more so than in other industries.The effects of people from all over the world moving to L.A. and striving towards beauty is noticeable.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:31 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,093 times
Quote:

Since a fair number of the men in San Francisco are not interested in dating women This may not be significant and possibly in favor of men who are interested in dating women

Old 12-20-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Since a fair number of the men in San Francisco are not interested in dating women This may not be significant and possibly in favor of men who are interested in dating women
In my experience (as a man dating in his late 20's at the time), it was pretty even. I wouldn't say the numbers are in men's favor at all (it's no NYC) - but it's also not really in women's favor, either. Certainly better than the "numbers" indicate.

I think part of the "evening out" of what appear to be heavily skewed ratios is that people in the Bay Area seemed pretty willing to travel for dating...and you get places like Oakland, which seem to have more single women then single men, contributing to the overall dating population in SF (and surrounding cities), thereby "adding to" the overall dating ratios. In the end, it feels pretty balanced.

To that end, I never had a hard time getting date.

Maintaining connections was a different matter (aka 2nd, 3rd, 4th dates...) - but I had that problem in other cities, too. It's more of an expectation problem I think with younger people these days, and how they date (i.e. "always something better out there" thinking in the back of people's minds and "hookup culture" (made worse by Tinder and other apps) - both can be pretty destructive to ones dating life). I experienced the same stuff in NY and Boston at a statistically similar rate as SF (i.e. for every great date, I had about 2-3 "bad" dates with "flakey"/non-committal people) - it was kind of remarkable how consistent that was for me in different places.

After a while, I met an awesome girl who I'm still with. SF native with deep familial roots in the Bay Area, no less.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:05 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
The economic engine of Los Angeles is Hollywood or entertainment. This is an industry in which it is normative to have plastic surgery to obtain or enhance the attractiveness or beauty needed to obtain employment. Beauty helps people obtain work and earn money more so than in other industries.The effects of people from all over the world moving to L.A. and striving towards beauty is noticeable.
Economic engine of LA is manufacturing and logistics (import/export).

For what it is worth, SF has more plastic surgeons per capita than LA. But yes, beautiful people are drawn to LA.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times
The parking situation throughout most of SF is enough to make me not want to live there. And obviously, the rents are unbelievable, especially for what you get. Much of the housing stock is old and unkept looking, with dingy exterior colors and frayed facades; and you are lucky to get a private parking spot and even a little greenery in your 'yard'; most front yards are simply concrete, with maybe a few shrubs and maybe a tree somewhere close by. And yet you still have to pay a premium to live in such areas. It's rather depressing. And when you see all the bars on the windows and heavy security doors at the entrances of most buildings, it gives off the feeling of living in a prison. Those tenement-style buildings emit a sort of rundown ghetto vibe. So many of the entrances to many of the apartments are so drab and rundown looking and dark-- it's sort of depressing to think people are paying so much to live in such dank buildings. Not all mind you, but a large portion of SF housing stock looks down right crappy and ugly, yet it costs a premium to live in those places.

And even the nice, upscale areas are congested, have parking and traffic issues, and are always a stone's throw away of some crime-ridden area.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:11 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
In my experience (as a man dating in his late 20's at the time), it was pretty even. I wouldn't say the numbers are in men's favor at all (it's no NYC) - but it's also not really in women's favor, either. Certainly better than the "numbers" indicate.

I think part of the "evening out" of what appear to be heavily skewed ratios is that people in the Bay Area seemed pretty willing to travel for dating...and you get places like Oakland, which seem to have more single women then single men, contributing to the overall dating population in SF (and surrounding cities), thereby "adding to" the overall dating ratios. In the end, it feels pretty balanced.

To that end, I never had a hard time getting date.

Maintaining connections was a different matter (aka 2nd, 3rd, 4th dates...) - but I had that problem in other cities, too. It's more of an expectation problem I think with younger people these days, and how they date (i.e. "always something better out there" thinking in the back of people's minds and "hookup culture" (made worse by Tinder and other apps) - both can be pretty destructive to ones dating life). I experienced the same stuff in NY and Boston at a statistically similar rate as SF (i.e. for every great date, I had about 2-3 "bad" dates with "flakey"/non-committal people) - it was kind of remarkable how consistent that was for me in different places.

After a while, I met an awesome girl who I'm still with. SF native with deep familial roots in the Bay Area, no less.
SF and LA is a womens dream. More single men than women. So they have a good pick of the litter.

NYC, Chicago, Sac are places where there are more single women. So it is way more competitive for women.

Even in LA, you will see average girl next door types with high income men with MBA's from UCLA.

But the thing is, in LA average looking women know their place. They might play their cards well, but they know where they are on the totem pole.

In SF average women think they are hot. I remember I once asked a girl in SF when the muni bus was scheduled to arrive. Her literal response was," I have a boyfriend".

LOL wtf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland