Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 10,372 times

Advertisements

Dear @golgi1 and @BlinkingBlythe!

@golgi1, your responses are truly remarkable. Your response covering the minimum wage hike and the homelessness issue are marvelous. @BlinkingBlythe, my work is with the the state, and we have seen a HUGE influx of mentally ill homeless into both the criminal justice system and to the state hospitals. This means that people who are mentally ill have no place to go - the deinstitutionalization of our nations' homeless did them an enormous disservice. It seems, on the surface, that a refusal by the state to compel inpatient treatment is merciful, but it is NOT. These people come to us with the most horrible medical as well as mental issues, issues that could easily have been addressed had they been safely housed and treated in an institution. Instead, they are trying to negotiate a confusing world and end up committing crime after crime (the AVERAGE number of arrests before we get them is 14-17 now). Many of these crimes are very, very serious - they are all felonies. We are bursting at the seams with 5,500 patients and counting - the courts force us to turn them 'around' fairly quicky (within three months) so they go right back to the street.

ANother reason for the homeless explosion is the decriminalization of drug use/possession, and the re-classification by the state of crimes that used to be felonies. Many types of arson, shoplifting, and car theft (if they say they planned to give it back) are misdemeanors now. A ciminally-incliined, drug-using individual who is okay with not being housed basically has the run of the land out here - no wonder there are so many.

Thank you both and have a blessed evening!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 11:11 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,274,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfca30 View Post
When I came to San Francisco nearly ten years ago in 2008, there was a lot I liked. The year-round mild weather and escape from summer humidity was really good for me. Beautiful scenery, lush winters, etc. Made some good friends over that time frame (most of whom who have now left the city). The place wasn't perfect (higher than average homeless population, etc) but I liked it.

Fast forward to 2018, and I can't wait to leave. I am looking to move to the east coast. There are a number of reasons why I want to leave and I wanted to post here to see if anyone has had similar experiences. I understand that my experience with the city may be unique and not everyone will agree, etc.

Some background-- I'm a conservative Republican in the most liberal city in America. This alone doesn't bother me too much as I have lived in very liberal areas my entire life. No where, however, did I experience such hostility and hatred based on political views. Conversations that aren't one sided simply aren't welcome here. Having to keep my political views silent in order to maintain friendships is not a good thing.

The homeless situation here has always been bad. But in recent years, it has gotten progressively worse with no signs of ebbing. Many streets and sidewalks are filled with overflowing trash cans with trash spread out across the street. The Civic Center BART station smells, has a severe problem with loiterers and extremely deranged individuals all over the place (and no one seems to care). This wasn't always the case. In 2008, when I first moved here for example, Civic Center BART was clean in comparison.

Quality of life seems to have diminished all over the place. Ridiculously high rent for a city I no longer love. Crime is up significantly all around, and I no longer feel very safe walking in certain parts of town. My neighborhood has deteriorated in this department.

I am seeing more and more vacant storefronts everywhere, years go by, despite massive population growth, and areas of Market St for example remain totally vacant. Imagine if the theater district area had bustling restaurants, clubs, coffee shops, and beautiful apartment buildings instead of stereo and shoe stores and check cashing stores. I feel like the city invites this.

Population has grown significantly since I first moved. The sidewalks are very crowded pretty much everywhere I walk, and if you want to get a seat at Peet's and Starbucks it's a challenge.

I do not understand why San Francisco doesn't seek to have clean roads, clean neighborhoods, and safe communities. I've been to a lot of places, with politics and policies similar to San Francisco's, and never have I seen a city this unclean.

Muni and BART are absolutely embarrassing. Trains still look like 1970, no new Muni trains, delays in getting the new BART trains operating, slow transit. The city is still operating as if our population didn't have exponential growth in the last decade.

Simply put, I no longer feel a reason to live here. I don't feel happy here. Part of the reason I have resisted moving in the past couple of years are the close friendships that I have developed with people here.

I must say, however, there are a couple of things that are obviously outside of San Francisco's control. One of which is, of course, the weather. I used to love the fog, the breeze, and cold nights. The last couple of years, and especially the last year, that's all gone away. We've had ridiculously sunny days along with extremely warm summer/fall season, and with most of the city refusing to get air conditioners, and apartment buildings not allowing air conditioners(!), it makes the experience all the more miserable.

One more thing to add, the city is just too slow paced for me!

Maybe life is good for people who have a nice Victorian in the Marina, but even if I had the means for that, I don't think I'd choose to live here anymore.

Is anyone else considering leaving San Francisco (or the greater Bay Area) for the same reasons? Different reasons? Has anyone left and felt good/bad about it?

Thanks for indulging!
I observed everything you just posted the year I moved to the Bay Area which was in 2009. I moved here from a very nice clean well run city. I can't wait to get out of this cesspool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland