Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 05:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 836,165 times

Advertisements

....the homeless people.

I can't say I'm surprised. And sure she got around and saw some nice stuff and some interesting neighborhoods, but it seems like this homeless thing at some point is going to take its toll on tourism. She specifically said she didn't feel safe walking down the street to get some coffee early in the morning (she's got a couple of hours time difference where she's from and her body didn't really adjust so she was up early every morning). With all the money this city has, I'm still amazed they can't get this under control. I don't recall seeing anything remotely like it in New York or Chicago when I visited. At one point, she had to wait in a CVS because a homeless person had been arrested for shoplifting and the store security and police had the door blocked while they apprehended him. Such a black eye for the city. And really, no excuse for it. I don't know why San Francisco can't just look at models used by other metropolitan cities and get with it. Especially for a city that prides itself on being on the cutting edge of everything.

I think this article nails it when speaking of the impressions tourists are having about their vacations in San Francisco..

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...t-12534954.php

Tiffany’s and tents. Neiman Marcus and needles. Macy’s and mental illness.

“I am sorry about the street scene,” Handlery responded to the commenter. “But unfortunately our city has failed to address the issue.”

“People come into hotels saying, ‘What is going on out there?’ They’re just shocked. ... People say, ‘I love your city, I love your restaurants, but I’ll never come back.’”

Last edited by JJonesIII; 06-24-2018 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 12:00 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
https://www.wired.com/story/big-tech...its-all-of-us/

EXCERPT:

"Everyone who works on homelessness agrees on the way to fix the problem. Build more homes. Not coincidentally, more places for people to live would help alleviate all sorts of other problems, from climate change to income inequality. But the kinds of housing California needs are not the kinds that get built. The reasons amount to an obstacle course built from policy mistakes, economic vicissitudes, and prejudice. “This is not something like pancreatic cancer, where thousands of scientists are striving to find a solution for a really difficult problem that we literally don’t know what to do about,” says Margot Kushel, a professor of medicine at UCSF who studies homelessness. “We actually know what to do. We just lack the will.”

Old 06-25-2018, 12:20 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post

I think this article nails it when speaking of the impressions tourists are having about their vacations in San Francisco.
The article says what I've said before. San Franciscans are so used to it, they don't really SEE it anymore. They are not horrified by a scene that is actually horrifying.

And the proof of that is that it's only gotten worse over time. Hell, I knew people who were shocked in the 1980s when they visited SF, and it's on a whole different level now.

Visitors see it with fresh eyes. Since no other place in America has a homeless problem as severe as SF, visitors from everywhere are going to be shocked . . . even New Yorkers.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
We'll see what the new mayor does.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:46 PM

872 posts, read 595,907 times
What about a new Governor too? At least people in Northern California are waking up.. does anyone think that Greasy Gavin is going to clean this mess up and get the "homeless" people into nice , safe places where they can get some 24/4 supervised help and care?
Corollary question: Does anyone think that this will get a LOT worse if greasy gavin is governor?
This is way beyond being out of control and the left just shrug their shoulders insisting that we need to buy the 'homeless" homes and/or rooms in hotels or apartments while they roam the streets...this is the most pathetic, immoral money grab ever... they are the ones that have let them out of facilities (they needed to stay in) already or essentially invited them to "come out hang out"
Please- we need to get this fixed and get our lives and communities back!
John Cox is our best choice for governor, who is the best choice for mayor?

Last edited by TCROX; 06-25-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 01:58 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Since no other place in America has a homeless problem as severe as SF, visitors from everywhere are going to be shocked . . . even New Yorkers.
Actually, bad as it seems and is, this is not true. NYC, L.A., Seattle, Washington D.C., Honolulu, San Diego, San Jose all have higher numbers of homeless ... and most, if not all, have a higher rate of homelessness as well. Another ½ dozen or more have nearly identical problems.

Some of those cities, including NYC, have more sheltered homeless so somewhat less visible.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Great, another out of towner coming to crap on SF. Sweet. we definitely don't have enough threads on here to tell us how much SF sucks and point out problems we all know exist.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:08 PM

830 posts, read 486,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Great, another out of towner coming to crap on SF.
Out of towners don't even need to crap on SF, since the sidewalks are already covered with it.

It will be interesting to see how this story ends. Tourism pulls in a lot of money in San Francisco, but lately it has been getting a pretty bad rap nationally for homelessness, filth, and car break-ins.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:28 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Out of towners don't even need to crap on SF, since the sidewalks are already covered with it.

It will be interesting to see how this story ends. Tourism pulls in a lot of money in San Francisco, but lately it has been getting a pretty bad rap nationally for homelessness, filth, and car break-ins.
I agree. It is a pretty bad situation. I hope that convention business doesn't start to leave.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:37 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
https://www.wired.com/story/big-tech...its-all-of-us/
EXCERPT:

"Everyone who works on homelessness agrees on the way to fix the problem. Build more homes.
Who's money will fund these new homes for the homeless? Who's money will maintain these homes? Pay the insurance, utilities and garbage fees?

I think a better plan is to allow them to panhandle enough money to purchase a ticket to more affordable city with cheaper and more plentiful housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland