Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Are the homeless from those camps now:
Clean and sober?
In mental health care?
Housed?
Employed?
In long-term jail cells?
That's not my issue to worry about. Once you're an adult in this life you're on your own, and are responsible for yourself and your behavior as well as facing the consequences of your behavior. That's just the way life works Mutt. No one is here to babysit adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No it really does not matter who is committing the crime does it? The homeless just make it easy since they are in your face with the crimes they commit.

Since this thread is about homeless folks and their behaviors it makes perfect sense to discuss the crimes they are committing. You are free to go and start a thread on crime committed by housed neighbors if you so choose.
Right. Some homeless commit crimes and inconveniences. It’s a fair part of the topic. But you still haven’t supported your claim to be knowledgeable of the overall issue, while others are not - beyond your front yard.

Crime is crime, whoever commits it against whom, wherever.
Littering is littering.
Drug use is drug use.
Mental illnessis mental illness ... no matter who, where.

When those behaviors are linked to lack of housing there are dynamics specific to the lack of shelter, food, hygiene and personal safety that exacerbate - and in many cases cause - the behaviors you are defending yourself against. You haven’t shown the slightest grasp of the root issues. You appear to believe these miscreants deliberately choose their misery and therefore are refuse ... and very tellingly, you seem quite content to kick them into the next neighborhood rather than address management for the benefit of all society.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Right. Some homeless commit crimes and inconveniences. It’s a fair part of the topic. But you still haven’t supported your claim to be knowledgeable of the overall issue, while others are not - beyond your front yard.

Crime is crime, whoever commits it against whom, wherever.
Littering is littering.
Drug use is drug use.
Mental illnessis mental illness ... no matter who, where.

When those behaviors are linked to lack of housing there are dynamics specific to the lack of shelter, food, hygiene and personal safety that exacerbate - and in many cases cause - the behaviors you are defending yourself against. You haven’t shown the slightest grasp of the root issues. You appear to believe these miscreants deliberately choose their misery and therefore are refuse ... and very tellingly, you seem quite content to kick them into the next neighborhood rather than address management for the benefit of all society.
I get the root issues but it's not my responsibility to babysit, cater to or rehabilitate the mentally ill, the drug addicts, the criminals or the homeless etc.

If any of the above become a menace on society it's up to law enforcement agencies to handle it.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
That's not my issue to worry about. Once you're an adult in this life you're on your own, and are responsible for yourself and your behavior as well as facing the consequences of your behavior. That's just the way life works Mutt. No one is here to babysit adults.
Like it or not Matadora, some adults do require babysitting. And denying that reality is failing the society that is affected by their condition. Simply blaming them for their own miserable situations - rightly or not - doesn’t make it all go away. Does it? I haven’t condoned any of the behaviors you complain about. It’s just right in your face whether there are any excuses or not.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:17 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
It's really not a distorted view. SF has a huge homeless problem. It's in your face every single day because SF is only 46.87 mi².

SF Human Wasteland
Homeless problem? Not so! An out-of-control Nimby problem!

Old 06-26-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Like it or not Matadora, some adults do require babysitting.

And denying that reality is failing the society that is affected by their condition.
Of course some adults require babysitting and if their family can't provide the babysitter then these folks need to be institutionalized.
Quote:
Simply blaming them for their own miserable situations - rightly or not - doesn’t make it all go away. Does it?
That's not what I've done.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I get the root issues but it's not my responsibility to babysit, cater to or rehabilitate the mentally ill, the drug addicts, the criminals or the homeless etc.

If any of the above become a menace on society it's up to law enforcement agencies to handle it.
Lol. Fine! Now you have to create the laws that will allow, and society (including you) pays for the resources. Simply chanting “Lock them up! Lock them up!” isn’t getting it done, huh ...

Old 06-26-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Homeless problem? Not so! An out-of-control Nimby problem!
I know reality flies over some folks head...thanks for demonstrating this.

Not only SF but many large cities in CA are experiencing serious out of control homeless issues. Keeping your head in the sand and blaming or pointing the the finger at the wrong folks for why this situation exists is not going to help one bit.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:23 PM

276 posts, read 222,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
You so have blinders on. The majority of people coming to SF are tourists and business people. Not hard to see that the homeless are everywhere right in the middle of office buildings and restaurants. Just try going to any restaurant at lunch from an OFFICE, and you will likely encounter homeless people, and they're not just laying on the ground like other places. They are screaming, taking craps and causing commotion. You just must enter your garage and never leave.

I can say Albany/Berkeley doesn't have a homeless problem to if I just leave my house, get in my car, drive to work and park in the office garage and never venture out. Unfortunately, that's not what people do, maybe you're an anomaly.

And, yes in a prior post I meant Russian Hill, not Nob Hill. What do I have to LIVE in SF to know what neighborhood I am visiting? My guess is you never leave your house. Or maybe your gazing constantly at the sky and not looking down to notice. Sounds like your Mr. Magoo.
Obviously, I can glean from your posts, we have very different lifestyles. I am self-employed and semi-retired, you sound like work in downtown SF and commute in from the east bay daily? So, yes I can relate to your frustration with all the homeless around the area you work, it really must major suck. I hate going downtown because its such a bad neighborhood.

BUT, what downtown isn't more rough than the suburbs? That's a universal demographic I think, and the Market St/Mission/Civic Ctr/tenderloin has historically been the worst part of the city, for ever and ever. probably back to when they started to rebuild it after the 1906 quake! 25 years ago there was less homeless types than today, but there was more drugs, rif-raff, prostitution, gambling, organized crime, biker gangs, you name it, every vice under the sun has been through that part of town throughout its history.

So what are we going to do about a bad part of town? It a bigger problem than just changing vices, you need to clean up an entire mind-set that creates and maintains a red-light district.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
BUT, what downtown isn't more rough than the suburbs?
DT Houston...the 4th largest city in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland