Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 02:31 PM

276 posts, read 221,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That's quite some logic you have going there.

So because it's only in places that have lots of tourist traffic, but not everywhere, it's a lie?

Should tourists have to go elsewhere because SF refuses to deal with their homeless problem?

Although it's not just tourists. Residents of the city deal with it as well. I'm not sure why you won't admit that the city is full of homeless? The city is earmarking millions to deal with the urine, feces, trash and needles. It's a problem.
Yes, it is a big lie, because the way they say it, they make no specific reference that it is a problem in a small area of the city. They say "SF has an enormous homeless problem". And then people who read it automatically assume (like you?) that the WHOLE city is filled with homeless and feces and needles. This is absolutely FALSE. Most people who live in SF do not run into homeless, unless they go to those specific areas where the homeless are. I mean they may occasionally interact with a few, but its not like being portrayed here, as constant harassment. Why is this difficult to understand?

Not that I am dismissing the homeless problem that does exist in those concentrated areas, frequented by some types of tourists, but the city is NOT "full of homeless", from the Bay to the ocean, from the Presidio to Daly City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 02:33 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
According to the California State Auditor, 24 percent of the country's homeless live in California. That's about 134,000 people.

California also has the highest proportion of unsheltered homeless persons (68 percent) of any state. In contrast, New York City and Boston shelter all but 5 percent and 3 percent, respectively, of their homeless populations.

Dated April 19,2018
And your point in quoting my post with regard to this information was? ....

Old 06-26-2018, 02:43 PM

276 posts, read 221,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
When I was in SF last summer, I did notice some homelessness in parts of town (particularly around The Tenderloin and Mission), although I wouldn't call it the main thing I noticed. Has it gotten particularly worse within the past year? (I didn't come across human waste or needles...).
This sounds to me more like the typical situation the average tourist would encounter in SF. It makes me wonder, why are some tourists complaining they are constantly surrounded by homeless and needles? Are they going to these areas looking for something they don't want to admit publicly

Old 06-26-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Just wow the ignorance and false assertions being parroted by you! We have a dedicated homeless officer who works with our neighborhood. We have his direct number and email address so calling 911 is not the way we contact him. We also have an online police crime reporting option. You need to catch up!
Yeah. So calling an officer’s direct line is different from calling 911 ... how? Other than you don’t go through the dispatch to the officer ... it’s the same thing: you’re calling in to the cops to report crimes. Yes. (And you should.). And that is not “working with the police” in any special way to solve homelessness. That is what any citizen can (and should) do anywhere about any criminal activity. You aren’t part of some special outreach taskforce creating new pathways to ameliorate homelessness. You are dialing 911 ... ooops, my bad ... you are dialing officer Friendly direct.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
That's right CA has a very dysfunctional enabling bleeding heart culture that no other state in the US has. Bleeding hearts only scream what they want but never think about the consequences or aftermath. They have no ability to see things through.
Regardless. Apparently you think Californians are a genetically different species from other people. And it’s particularly peculiar in that when “normal” people move across the state line into California, their formerly quality genetics just undergo this same deviant transformation.

Well, good news: you don’t have to live here and be around the mutations. You can leave anytime you decide!

Old 06-26-2018, 03:11 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,981 times
From some of these comments I get the feeling that if there were an uncovered manhole on the street many of you posters would fall right into it. Do you even notice your surroundings?

We had a coworker get harassed by a homeless guy outside our office today. Tapping on the window and staring at her for 10 mins. We called security and closed all the blinds. Our office isn't even in the city!

Like I have said before, they need to cut off services and do tough love for all but the ones who need it the most. In many other cultures people would be ashamed to be homeless.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:15 PM

830 posts, read 486,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
When I was in SF last summer, I did notice some homelessness in parts of town (particularly around The Tenderloin and Mission), although I wouldn't call it the main thing I noticed. Has it gotten particularly worse within the past year? (I didn't come across human waste or needles...).
You probably didn't notice because you're from Seattle so you've acclimated.

And, no, it hasn't gotten particularly worse in the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
Yes, it is a big lie, because the way they say it, they make no specific reference that it is a problem in a small area of the city. They say "SF has an enormous homeless problem". And then people who read it automatically assume (like you?) that the WHOLE city is filled with homeless and feces and needles. This is absolutely FALSE. Most people who live in SF do not run into homeless, unless they go to those specific areas where the homeless are.
I think you're understating the problem, perhaps as much as the tourists who stay in Union Square are overstating it. Everyone who lives in SF sees homeless people all the time. The worst area is the Tenderloin, but there is also the Mission, the Haight, Hayes Valley, Western Addition, SOMA, the design center. You'll also see them, although less so, in FIDI, all along the Embarcadero, Dogpatch, around the parks....as a matter of fact just about anywhere except for the strictly residential areas like the Sunset, Richmond, Forest Hill, and Seacliff. Pretty much anywhere there is a strip of shops, you're more likely to find a homeless person than not.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Actually, bad as it seems and is, this is not true. NYC, L.A., Seattle, Washington D.C., Honolulu, San Diego, San Jose all have higher numbers of homeless ... and most, if not all, have a higher rate of homelessness as well. Another ½ dozen or more have nearly identical problems.

Some of those cities, including NYC, have more sheltered homeless so somewhat less visible.
SF homeless are far more visible and exist in areas of the City that tourists seek out when here.

That is probably the biggest difference between SF and many other cities with similar homelessness issues.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:21 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
The article says what I've said before. San Franciscans are so used to it, they don't really SEE it anymore. They are not horrified by a scene that is actually horrifying.

And the proof of that is that it's only gotten worse over time. Hell, I knew people who were shocked in the 1980s when they visited SF, and it's on a whole different level now.

Visitors see it with fresh eyes. Since no other place in America has a homeless problem as severe as SF, visitors from everywhere are going to be shocked . . . even New Yorkers.
I think you're wrong. Every SF resident I know (including natives) sees it. Along with housing prices, it's probably one of the biggest issues for people living here.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
SF homeless are far more visible and exist in areas of the City that tourists seek out when here.

That is probably the biggest difference between SF and many other cities with similar homelessness issues.
Yeah. I pointed to that when I observed other cities have more sheltered. Right.

Here’s some more related information:
Quote:
Many San Franciscans have the impression that homelessness has been growing in recent years. In 2016, residents called 311 to complain about encampments five times more than in the previous year.

What’s confusing is — the population of homeless people in San Francisco has actually stayed relatively flat.

So, if the numbers aren’t changing, what is? Three things.

The growth of encampments ... (read link)
Why homelessness in San Francisco appears to be growing when, in fact, it isn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland