Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM

19 posts, read 21,005 times

Advertisements

Its likely that I'll be getting a job in the bay area soon (San Leandro) and am considering different places where I could live.

I currently live on the central coast which I absolutely LOVE, however, they're aren't many job opportunities or room for growth here.

The opportunity in the bay is fantastic and I'd be doing something I enjoy.

That brings me to my question. I am also 25 and single and want to live somewhere you I can have fun and potentially meet somebody. Seeing as how I would be working in San Leandro I really don't think living in SF proper is an option due to the 1 hour commute one way.

Do you guys have any recommendations? The employer said I should look in Alameda. Supposedly Alameda is pretty nice?

I have plenty of friends in the bay area so wouldn't be completely alone.

I'm looking for somewhere relatively safe, close to San Leandro to cut down on commute, and has people my age, or at least isn't too far away from fun places for younger people.

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM

Also, I value a little bit of nature as well; something I cherish about the central coast. I'm a huge surfer too so I don't want to be TOO far from the ocean as well haha.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:51 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Well, Alameda is affordable, compared to much of Oakland and Berkeley. And it's probably a better place for meeting people than Fremont would be, which is too suburban. Alameda also has easy access to Oakland, for nightlife, and it has a Bayside beach. It's a nice little community. You could look up the demographics, to see how many singles are there.

Oakland has a big redwood park in the hills, actually--more than one redwood park, and there are other big regional parks in the hills in Berkeley and El Cerrito.

On longer weekends, you can explore other parts of the Bay Area, and beyond. Santa Cruz County is full of nature (more huge redwood parks), as you may know. the North Bay also has lots of nature to explore: Marin County and Sonoma Co. Lots of scenic beaches and redwood forests, hikes down mountainsides to the beach past waterfalls, nature galore. And you can drive up the coast, for more scenery.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:03 PM

57 posts, read 57,747 times
You'll be happy in Alameda, easy access to the city, Oakland airport, and San Leandro also. You have the beach, some decent restaurants and bars and shopping options. I rented there for 6 years, and work in West Oakland basically on the other side of the Webster Tube. ~7 years ago I had to move about 10 miles east to the lower Richmond hills in order to buy a house - Being a homeowner is great and was a higher priority; but I'd be telling a tall tale if I said I didn't miss living in Alameda.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the input everyone! I just received my formal offer from the company and am going to accept it tomorrow.

I think I like Alameda!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californialivin805 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! I just received my formal offer from the company and am going to accept it tomorrow.

I think I like Alameda!
Let us know how you like it, after you get settled in.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:11 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
As a young single guy, no. Alameda is more for young families. I think you should look into Oakland. Maybe Uptown, around Lake Merritt, or Rockridge. Depending on where your office is in San Leandro you might not have to use a car to commute.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Let us know how you like it, after you get settled in.
Will do! I'm going to be applying starting tomorrow.

I really have considered Oakland but the quiet and sort of out of the way charm of Alameda is alluring to me. Fortunately I have a ton of friends in the city proper and am a social person so I really don't think it will be hard for me to meet someone!

I guess I'm putting more value on proximity to work and and nice place to live rather than nightlife, which will be easily accessible anyways.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:53 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Alameda has a good mix of people, including younger single people. I am in my mid-30s now, but I've known people my age in Alameda for as long as I've lived in the East Bay. (I moved to Berkeley at 24.) While Alameda is family friendly and also has seniors and whatnot, it has a chill vibe with good restaurants, bars, breweries, wineries, and even a well-known distillery.

In the off chance there is something you can't find in Alameda, the hip spots in Oakland are a 10-minute drive/bus ride/Uber/Lyft away and SF can be easily reached by ferry or bus. Especially coming from the Central Coast (I went to Cal Poly), it sounds like Alameda will be a better fit. Oakland is cool and all, but it has urban grit and challenges that you might find taxing without the positives you want and can get in Alameda.

I recommend moving to a place within walking distance of Park Street if possible. This is where most of the action is, and it's closer to San Leandro. If you can't swing that, at least find a place within walking distance of Webster Street. The Webster Street side of the island is quieter, and you'll have to drive through town on your way to San Leandro. Also, for the record, don't bother with Bay Farm Island. While pretty, it's just big homes with families and you'll get bored quickly.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:06 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
This was published in today's LA Times and may be of interest to you: https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr...113-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland