Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 04:00 PM

899 posts, read 517,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Old Naval Weapons station.
Concord has a history with the military, so that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 10:04 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,335 times
Concord is quite spread out, so expect to drive to all destinations except San Francisco and Oakland by BART.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:37 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Concord is a perfectly fine, boring American suburb. Your money will go further there than it will in a place like Pleasant Hill or Walnut Creek, and quality of life will be better than it is in a more distant suburb like Antioch. I have friends with a house in the "rougher" part near Monument Blvd., and other than quinceañera celebrations that put my Richmond neighborhood to shame, it's not that bad. My main complaint about Concord is the difficulty of walking around. Lots of neighborhoods without sidewalks.
LOL.

I live in Texas, and people have asked me about differences.

My illustrations have included (in Texas) roads without shoulders, roads without curbs, and dearth of sidewalks in types of places where they would exist in California.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
The future development of the old Concord Naval Weapon Station might be a game changer as far as desirability goes.
Right next to a Bart station and hopefully done a bit upscale.
I’ve lived near there many years ago.
I think that area could be really nice and I’m not much of a Concord fan
We will see.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:54 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
How the Bay Area’s biggest housing development fell apart in 2020

https://www.sfgate.com/local/editors...g-15883163.php

"How do you kickstart a historically ambitious, multibillion-dollar housing development while the world’s economies remain paralyzed?

That’s the dilemma facing Concord after 2020, a year that not only dashed financial markets and upended everyday life across the Bay Area, but also wrecked this city’s critical redevelopment project at the Concord Naval Weapons Station, a huge disused military facility that could be its only means of significantly expanding housing stock.

“Concord is effectively built out,” says Guy Bjerke, Concord’s director of community reuse planning. “We're fooling around with some parcels downtown, and there is some ability to redevelop, but there isn't a lot of green field development going on. This base provides the best opportunity [to hit major housing goals].”

It’s perhaps the only opportunity."

"Cities look at massive projects like piñatas full of affordable housing and amenities; developers, on the other hand, are in it for market-rate homes and commercial spaces that pad their profits. When these goals conflict, the strain can sink a development — and a city’s housing futures."

Old 01-08-2022, 10:34 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
How the Bay Area’s biggest housing development fell apart in 2020

https://www.sfgate.com/local/editors...g-15883163.php

"How do you kickstart a historically ambitious, multibillion-dollar housing development while the world’s economies remain paralyzed?

That’s the dilemma facing Concord after 2020, a year that not only dashed financial markets and upended everyday life across the Bay Area, but also wrecked this city’s critical redevelopment project at the Concord Naval Weapons Station, a huge disused military facility that could be its only means of significantly expanding housing stock.

“Concord is effectively built out,” says Guy Bjerke, Concord’s director of community reuse planning. “We're fooling around with some parcels downtown, and there is some ability to redevelop, but there isn't a lot of green field development going on. This base provides the best opportunity [to hit major housing goals].”

It’s perhaps the only opportunity."

"Cities look at massive projects like piñatas full of affordable housing and amenities; developers, on the other hand, are in it for market-rate homes and commercial spaces that pad their profits. When these goals conflict, the strain can sink a development — and a city’s housing futures."
The naval yard is still being redeveloped but Seeno is a sprawl developer and its projects cater to Asian immigrants. I predict the new development will be auto oriented and about 70% Asian.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:25 AM

I've now lived in Concord for 6 months. We're retired. A few thoughts;

-The weather is very mild. I'll admit that I don't miss the cold and wind of Colorado.

-People here have back yard furniture. They spend a lot of time outdoors on their patios. I do like that.

-The traffic is much less than I expected. If I wait until about 9 AM, a drive down Clayton Rd is a breeze. However, I tend to avoid the weekends because that's when the "workies" must buy their supplies. Another tactic is to go early. At 7 AM, the line to get gas at Costco is very short.

-The cost of housing is insane. As a result, there are many homes here where there are 3 generations living together. It's not possible for young people to buy a house without getting big financial support from their families.

-As a result of high housing costs, everything is more expensive. For example, a sandwich is $12 instead of $8 back in Colorado. Businesses here have higher overhead costs and must pay higher wages. I've learned to use Amazon and Costco to mitigate the higher costs.

-I've discovered new allergies. I think it's tree pollen.

-My grandkids are amazing. It's a joyful time playing with them.

-Bottom line: I think the benefits exceed the costs. In the end, the only thing you have left is your family.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:32 AM

899 posts, read 517,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've now lived in Concord for 6 months. We're retired. A few thoughts;

-The weather is very mild. I'll admit that I don't miss the cold and wind of Colorado.

-People here have back yard furniture. They spend a lot of time outdoors on their patios. I do like that.

-The traffic is much less than I expected. If I wait until about 9 AM, a drive down Clayton Rd is a breeze. However, I tend to avoid the weekends because that's when the "workies" must buy their supplies. Another tactic is to go early. At 7 AM, the line to get gas at Costco is very short.

-The cost of housing is insane. As a result, there are many homes here where there are 3 generations living together. It's not possible for young people to buy a house without getting big financial support from their families.

-As a result of high housing costs, everything is more expensive. For example, a sandwich is $12 instead of $8 back in Colorado. Businesses here have higher overhead costs and must pay higher wages. I've learned to use Amazon and Costco to mitigate the higher costs.

-I've discovered new allergies. I think it's tree pollen.

-My grandkids are amazing. It's a joyful time playing with them.

-Bottom line: I think the benefits exceed the costs. In the end, the only thing you have left is your family.
Glad you like it. Where in Concord do you live?

Old 03-20-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Glad you like it. Where in Concord do you live?
Near Treat and Clayton Rd

Old 04-10-2024, 08:14 AM

Environmentalists call this project ‘the worst ridgeline development in Northern California’ — and just got it delayed

Annexation vote delayed as parties try to work out agreement

free lnk:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04...catiitycneomrr

"CONTRA COSTA — Fearing the development of a major ridgeline just outside Pittsburg, environmentalists are hoping to convince local officials and the developer to create an open-space buffer between them.

Twice approved by the Pittsburg City Council, the Discovery Builders’ Faria project proposes to build some 1,500 homes in the hills southwest of Pittsburg overlooking Thurgood Marshall Regional Park in Concord, where the former Naval Weapons Station was once located.

But before any work can begin, the 606 acres of land must first be annexed into Pittsburg. The Contra Costa Local Agency Formation Commission, which oversees such boundary changes, was set to do that this week, but the item was continued after the small agency was flooded with hundreds of emails and letters, mainly from members and supporters of the nonprofit Save Mount Diablo who have environmental concerns about the proposed project, according to Lou Ann Texeira, executive officer of LAFCO. On its website, Save Mount Diablo calls the planned development “the disastrous Faria project that would bulldoze the top of Pittsburg’s hills.”"

NIMBYs in action
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland