Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 05:25 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

I'm retired and I'm thinking about moving to Concord at a location close to the Concord Community Park in order to live near my son, his wife and grand daughter.

I realize that the cost of housing is huge and I have a way with dealing with that but I'm mostly interested in learning about other aspects such as safety, crime, availability of medical services that will accept a new Medicare client and community resources available for seniors.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 08:30 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
It's a pretty average, run of the mill middle class suburb. Some parts of Concord are a little run down and/or have high crime but not really the areas near Concord Community Park. It's a decent value for the Bay Area; plenty of amenities with BART access.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:20 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
It's a fine place. Some areas are not so nice (you will know immediately-around Monument Blvd) , some neighborhoods are very nice (around Treat Blvd, for instance). It's very diverse and has and most everything you'd need shopping/cute downtown area/parks and recreation/movie theaters, etc. I found this site--might be helpful for seeking out which areas to avoid. There are 2 very good John Muir hospitals (one right on the border with Walnut Creek and one in Concord)

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 02-05-2020 at 02:03 AM..

Old 02-04-2020, 06:04 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Concord is a perfectly fine, boring American suburb. Your money will go further there than it will in a place like Pleasant Hill or Walnut Creek, and quality of life will be better than it is in a more distant suburb like Antioch.

I have friends with a house in the "rougher" part near Monument Blvd., and other than quinceañera celebrations that put my Richmond neighborhood to shame, it's not that bad. My main complaint about Concord is the difficulty of walking around. Lots of neighborhoods without sidewalks.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:22 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
Concord is one of the cheaper suburb communities in the Bay Area. And of course, you get what you pay for.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:32 AM

855 posts, read 450,232 times
I used to live within walking distance of Concord Community Park. Not a bad area. Decent value.

But with Concord crime and gangs are never that far away. Even in that neighborhood, car breakins, shady people knocking on doors trying to scam home owners, stealing packages off porches, etc, was very common. The Mexicans take over the parks on the weekends.

I would look either West of Oak Grove if you can swing it, Pleasant Hill or if you must, Clayton which is more affordable just a little hotter than Concord.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 AM

492 posts, read 234,281 times
I lived in Concord from 1984-2015. My family still lives there. Concord has a good Police Dept. It's changed a great deal. I would move closer to Clayton or Walnut Creek Border. The medical services are the best in the Country. the Big C Athletic Club is also a great gym, lots of older folks, ,friendly too. I went there for 25 years.

I always liked the Valley better and closer to Clayton.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:35 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
When my daughter rented her first spot it was off of Monument Blvd.
She had no idea it was in “little Tijuana”.
Yup right in the heart of it.
Her 2 roomies and her were the only blonds there.
They were welcomed with open arms P
after being accepted by the neighbors.
They bonded, shared meals and attended birthday parties within the neighborhood.
Their cars were never touched, they could walk at night and they felt safe.
I think they were fortunate but I find this to be the norm after you have been accepted.
Partying with Mexicans on their kids first birthday is a treat that is hard to beat .
I’ll take me some of that over a day at “Chucky Cheese” surrounded with a bunch of wanna bees any day.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:37 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Any new information about Concord?

We're planning a move to be there by September.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:19 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Any new information about Concord?

We're planning a move to be there by September.
Yes, home prices are through the roof like everywhere else in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland