Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 07:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
I grew up in Fremont. Fremont/Newark/Union City/Milpitas are all going to be fairly family-oriented suburbanish. It's a bit tough but maybe I would do Fremont, specifically near Lake Elizabeth for outdoor running, and there's a couple places like Jack's Brewing and Mojo Lounge and restaurants like The Counter and a Philz Coffee.

Commuting in the Bay Area is awful- it just to me wouldn't be worth it to come from San Jose or Oakland. Also Fremont you can live near BART and at least be able to easily access Oakland/SF.
This makes a lot of sense to me, but the OP also said, she wants diversity beyond just a couple of ethnicities. She may not like Fremont, for that reason, IDK. Would that make it worth putting up with the commute from Oakland, even a BART & bus commute? Only the OP can make that call.I think the OP should visit for a week, scope out Oakland neighborhoods, try the commute from there, then scope out Fremont.

Any other good suggestions for hangouts in Fremont would probably be helpful. I see singles in the Fremont Starbucks locations all the time. (Speaking of pre-Covid times) F'mont is full of techies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 08:30 PM

124 posts, read 110,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This makes a lot of sense to me, but the OP also said, she wants diversity beyond just a couple of ethnicities. She may not like Fremont, for that reason, IDK. Would that make it worth putting up with the commute from Oakland, even a BART & bus commute? Only the OP can make that call.I think the OP should visit for a week, scope out Oakland neighborhoods, try the commute from there, then scope out Fremont.

Any other good suggestions for hangouts in Fremont would probably be helpful. I see singles in the Fremont Starbucks locations all the time. (Speaking of pre-Covid times) F'mont is full of techies.
Fremont has the new mini downtown with the new century movie theater that was built in like 2010, with restaurants, asian boba places, habit burger, Buffalo Wild Wings, In-In Out burger is usually open until like 1 am. Some of those asian boba places are open until like 10-11 pm. The hub and paseo padre area have whole foods, chipotle, blaze pizza, applebees, peets coffee, smoking pig bbq etc. Mission Pizza is privately owned and is really good and they have live music. Next door to Fremont is the newpark mall and BJ's restaurant, that place is always packed. I'm sure all these places will be up and running, once COVID-19 is over.

There is a sort of new place called Campo Di Bocce, this place took over City Beach Bar and Restaurant. They have indoor rock climbing, a bar, a bocco ball game thingy and a restaurant.

Fremont even used to have a Hooters, a while ago, lol. This is around 2008. I was surprised, they shut it down due to a lack of business, which is odd. I guess people really didn't go there during the weekdays. I think the closest Hooters to Fremont are in San Jose and Dublin? I thought it would be popular but anyhow , that is just a little bit of history.

At the end of the day, it's just personal preference, Fremont does well for being a family-oriented suburb. It's just a decision that you have to make yourself.

Last edited by BayAreaResiding; 12-31-2020 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-31-2020, 08:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
You're going to commute one way or another. Either to/from work to home or from home to where you want to socialize, etc. I highly suggest living close to where you work. It's nice to run home for lunch. then, wait for the traffic to calm down and drive somewhere interesting for walks, eateries, etc.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:34 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amohame6 View Post
Hello friends,

I'm relocating to the Bay Area for the second time for a new job. First time around I lived in Alameda for 3 years and that was ok. I felt Alameda was so family oriented, felt isolated and cliquish. However, it also was safe, beautiful, middle upper-class and provided great running trails.

Here are some info to guide the discussion:

1. I'm a single (recently divorced) female in my mid-40's
2. Would like to buy but I do understand the bay area real estate challenges. I'm considering renting as well.
3. Looking for a 2 BR and 2 BA. My budget is $3000-$450, would like to stay in that range.
4. Looking for an area that provides some sort of a social life, walkable, dinning (once we are over Covid-19) and safe for outdoor running.
5. A diverse upper middle class neighbourhood. I don't want to live in a place where 1 or 2 races make up for most of the population.

I appreciate your thoughts and guidance.

AM
Newark itself is more like a 3-race city: Asian, White, and Hispanic. Very few Blacks, less than 6%.

Surrounding cities are some variation of that, some places more Asians, some a little bit more White, but nowhere located near Newark has many upper middle class Blacks, if that is what you seek.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:45 PM

To fill out the dining options in Fremont beyond fast food and coffee, Fremont has (or had, pre-Covid; hopefully some of these businesses will survive) several good Afghan restaurants, and a number of Indian, Chinese and Asian fusion restaurants, and Italian. It's actually a pretty good restaurant town.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 12,227 times
I'm starting to narrow down my search to areas such as San Mateo, Redwood City, Menlo Park and Palo Alto. They appear to be more diverse, expensive but within my price point for rent. And it appears to have some nice ritzy dining, etc.

Any thoughts about that?

Thank you
Amira

Old 01-02-2021, 05:44 PM

Ritzy dining? Check! Diversity? No more than in Fremont. Palo Alto's shopping/restaurant district gets over-run with Stanford University students at lunch time, especially. Palo Alto has beautiful neighborhoods, but if you want less of a student vibe, consider the others. Menlo Park's downtown is very cute, green, beautiful.

Just bear in mind you'll be dealing with bridge traffic for your commute. Otherwise, you may find those towns preferable to the East Bay, in some respects.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:52 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
I'm starting to narrow down my search to areas such as San Mateo, Redwood City, Menlo Park and Palo Alto. They appear to be more diverse, expensive but within my price point for rent. And it appears to have some nice ritzy dining, etc.

Any thoughts about that?

Thank you
Amira
A few years ago, I would've ruled out Redwood City but they've really built up their downtown area and there are quite a few nice restaurants there. You just have to be careful not to live in or near the sketchy areas in the southern part of the city, as they still exist.

I think any of the cities would tick the boxes for you. Here are my thoughts:

-Palo Alto - Very upscale and a lot of nice restaurants. Tends to be college focused with Stanford, but still has a lot of nice places to eat (my favorite are Evvia and Tamarine)
-Menlo Park - Also ritzy and has some good restaurants (my favorite being Flea Street) but a little sleepier than the others
-San Mateo - Largest downtown area and probably the most diverse. Somewhat ritzy but not as nice (in my opinion) as neighboring Burlingame
-Redwood City - Up and coming with several nice restaurants (my favorite is Vesta). Avoid the sketchy areas and you'll be fine

If you're looking on the peninsula, would also recommend you look at San Carlos. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2021, 06:34 PM

124 posts, read 110,450 times
Quote:

Any thoughts about that?

Thank you
Amira

They all have downtowns , so you would definitely like that. You have the nightlife that the downtown provides and the peace and quiet of suburbia, all in one city. The best of both worlds.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:06 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Quote:

Any thoughts about that?

Thank you
Amira
They all have a different feel to them, and I recommend visiting each one. Palo Alto is very posh and Stanford focused. Mostly higher mid-range and higher end dining only. San Mateo is more diverse overall, has much better Asian options, and has the largest number of restaurants of the four towns you mentioned. Menlo Park is the smallest of the four. No reason to go to Menlo Park unless you live there, which may be a plus or minus for you. If you like the small-town vibe of Menlo Park, there's a chance you might like San Carlos too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland