Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:41 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times

Advertisements

I'm staying on the table. But it has been almost two months and there are a few other interesting options on the market now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 04:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Depending on how flexible you are... you can hold firm and on the appraisal contingency and thank everyone for their efforts... this might be enough to get things moving in your favor.

The downside is... there is the possibility that someone else will buy the home.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:36 PM

I saw another house today that was three times the size, on three times the lot, for the same price, lower down in the Fruitvale. On the down side, almost everything has been torn out, even the kitchen sink.. which is why it's priced so low. But there's a lot of value there. It's going to make it very hard to keep waiting for this cramped little bungalow.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I saw another house today that was three times the size, on three times the lot, for the same price, lower down in the Fruitvale. On the down side, almost everything has been torn out, even the kitchen sink.. which is why it's priced so low. But there's a lot of value there. It's going to make it very hard to keep waiting for this cramped little bungalow.
Let me say this -- we bought our house in 1987, as a starter home... and we're still here.

And it's getting tinier! It's the opposite of the TARDIS! LOL Bigger and you get to redo it -- sounds good to me...

Old 07-13-2008, 02:11 PM

595 posts, read 2,307,734 times
Hey 'Rat,
Following your house hunt in Oakland is quite interesting. Could you please give us some numbers to put with these properties you are describing? Upper Laurel is pretty cool. My friend had a SF view from his balcony. He did have the car break in problems in front of his home and at the Fruitvale BART. Nothing real serious, though. He eventually moved to the Mission and was paying 1700 per month for a one bedroom, where he was afraid to go out at night. That was about 10 years ago.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
Hey 'Rat,
Following your house hunt in Oakland is quite interesting. Could you please give us some numbers to put with these properties you are describing? Upper Laurel is pretty cool. My friend had a SF view from his balcony. He did have the car break in problems in front of his home and at the Fruitvale BART. Nothing real serious, though. He eventually moved to the Mission and was paying 1700 per month for a one bedroom, where he was afraid to go out at night. That was about 10 years ago.
The house I was looking at to begin with was 4016 Masterson, which is in the Upper Laurel, for $199,500. I ruled it out for reasons that had nothing to do with the property. I went on to a house under MacArthur, but still in the Laurel, for about the same price. That was the one that appraised low. The one I have my eye on now is close to Int'l and 55th Ave and is listed under $190K. I have an apartment on the peninsula currently which is costing me $1075 a month.. if this works out I'll be paying roughly that, but I'll have a house that could rent for over $3000.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:21 AM

595 posts, read 2,307,734 times
Thanks for the info. It might be even more interesting if you could tell us what these homes were selling for at the peak of the boom. Good Luck! Sounds like the appraisers are playing hardball--maybe they don't want to go to jail.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
Thanks for the info. It might be even more interesting if you could tell us what these homes were selling for at the peak of the boom. Good Luck! Sounds like the appraisers are playing hardball--maybe they don't want to go to jail.
Oh I don't mind telling you that. 4016 Masterson St sold for $365,000. The house I want to buy in the Laurel sold for $300,000. The big one - which is in the Melrose - sold for $491,000 in early 2006, then $589,000 five months later.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:36 AM

Financing fell through. Not because I couldn't qualify - but because the house was determined to be insufficient collateral. So I stay on the peninsula for now, which is not so bad.. maybe by the time the market settles down I'll be able to afford something in San Bruno or Millbrae.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,655 times
I just bought my first house. It's in the Laurel and I must say I'm digging the hood so far. I'm three blocks away from the Farmer Joes. It was tough to find a place to buy as I had a really cool and affordable apartment in Lake Merrit. (Lake View Penthouse with a private roof deck on two sides of the apartment for 1260 a month) I knew I couldn't find a place with the same amenities as my old neighborhood, it's tough to find a place mere blocks from a district like the Grand Lake Theater Area and not pay through the nose. But I found the Laurel to be a close second. (At least in My price range)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland