Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 AM

426 posts, read 1,736,461 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about going the roommate route in San Francisco, rather than moving to a distant suburb like Walnut Creek. There are many people from other states (or from California) who are my age and moving to San Francisco. It would be the easiest way to make friends, and also have some money to enjoy my time there (because thats one of the reasons I'm going there afterall).

My question is, what would be a good area for me? I'm 22, liberal, and heterosexual. I'd be single, and definitely looking for someone. I understand being a single straight guy can be good in San Francisco, as the straight girl-straight guy ratio is a bit scewed to the guys favor. Not paying attention to where I'd work right now, I'd like to be close to Golden Gate Park and other "get away from the city" type areas within the city, but also close enough to the nighttime amenities to have fun without having to pay a whole lot just for transport.

Also, just wondering, what are the nighttime areas that aren't poisoned with blatant tourism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
The Marina, Cow Hollow, Nob Hill, apartments near the financial district. Avoid the Castro for obvious reasons.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 56,133 times
I've always love the Marina...also if you're super-liberal, you might like the Haighy-Ashbury district (though, it can be very hippy-ish).

Places that aren't tourist-ridden??? Everywhere in SF is overflooded by tourists! Hit the suburbs.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:16 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,461 times
It it realistic to find roommates just moving to San Francisco like me? Most people looking for roommates want people sttled in the area, with a job they've had for years, etc. I obviously won't have that.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:26 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
It it realistic to find roommates just moving to San Francisco like me? Most people looking for roommates want people sttled in the area, with a job they've had for years, etc. I obviously won't have that.
Go to sfbay-dot-craigslist-dot-org... under "housing", select either "rooms/shared" or "housing wanted", and you can also narrow it down to San Francisco by choosing "sfc" (at the top of each page). There are TONS of people looking for roommates, and I'm sure you could find someone new to the area.

And in response to your original question, I'd second most of the above suggestions. My personal favorite neighborhood is Inner Richmond, but it might be too far from nightlife. Other good ones for you would be SoMa (South of Market), Noe Valley, Western Addition, and maybe Potrero Hill & Bernal Heights. And I actually think Castro wouldn't be a bad idea, despite it being the official gay neighborhood... it's really close to everything, fairly safe, and has some very nice rental homes/apartments. You'd just have to go over a few blocks to meet the ladies, LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-13-2007 at 03:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland