Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 PM

961 posts, read 2,567,023 times

Advertisements

G Grasshopper, perhaps you are right. This was the photo slideshow that I viewed Fairfax, California: My Hometown Photo Gallery by Karen Mickleson at pbase.com

I have heard great things about the Dixie school district. That is one of the reasons we are considering this area actually since we plan to utilize public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:15 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
I looked at the slide show. Interesting pictures. Those things definitely are a part of Fairfax, and Fairfax does tend to be more hippy-ish than San Rafael, (and less than Bolinas), but it is still a mixed bag, and the slideshow didn't show the supermarkets, gas stations, usual looking houses, etc., that are more "mainstream". A lot of the "summer of love" hippies from San Francisco eventually moved to Marin County years ago, and haven't left, so there are some enclaves that go in that direction. I would say anywhere along the ocean side of the Marin Coast (west of the Golden Gate Bridge, and then north along the coast) are a bit more counter-culture than inland, although there are certainly people of that lifestyle in Fairfax and Mill Valley, and actually all around Marin and Sonoma Counties. But I don't consider that to be a problem. Its just part of the mix of people.

Dixie district has been considered to be a good district for a long time. We have not had a child in school for 10 years, but we were very glad we were living here at the time. Our son definitely got a personalized education. I still see Dixie District touted on realty fliers, so I imagine it is still good, but I have no recent experience.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Like I said, I still plan to thoroughly check out the area. The slideshow was a bit off-putting, but I also believe that you haven't seen it until you have actually seen it - in person! This is a very big decision for us as we really want to get it right this time. We have made two bad decisions; first we moved to Palm Desert area last April (we are mid century modern architecture fanatics, but it wasn't enough to keep us there) and after we realized that the area was not a good fit for us, it was off to Chicago in June. It didn't take us long to realize that California is where we belong and we needed to work on getting back. So fast forward 9 months and here we are on our way back! The choice is between Scotts Valley in Santa Cruz or somewhere in Marin. If we chose Marin, DH's company is either going to have to let him work from home full time (right now he goes into the office twice a week), or he is going to have to find a new job as his office is in Salinas.

In 23 days, I'm flying into SF with my two young children (ages 4 and 22 months) by myself. So it is going to be a bit tricky to try to check things out while driving at the same time and dealing with children who would rather not being in the car all day. Can anyone suggest a good plan of attack so that I can see as much as possible in a short amount of time? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:10 PM

495 posts, read 1,831,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
I know that no place is perfect. We lived in CA for 13 years and it is as close to perfect as you can get in this country in our opinion.
Alright then. Just checking in because it seems like you've been somewhat indecisive with all of the suggestions provided. But that's none of my business really. lol. I have a more impulsive nature I think - I just do it! Good luck wherever you land.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:14 PM

We "just did it", twice - RECENTLY! That is why I am agonizing over this decision. I'm sure you can understand the desire to get it right this time. Not only is it hard on the kids, but I am so tired of moving. If I never see another packing box it will be too soon! Plus, I think it is completely reasonable to be indecisive about a place you don't know much about. We've been to Marin, once, to check out some Eichler homes in San Rafael. It was pretty, but it didn't make us want to leave Aptos.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 PM

No judgement on my part. I'm one of those weird people that moves every 1-2 years and enjoys moving. I'm nomadic. And to be fair, I don't have kids yet. Again, good luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:27 PM

Well having kids makes all the difference. I absolutely LOVED moving before the arrival of my little darlings.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM

So I like what this website has to say about Fairfax: A little bit about Fairfax, CA « From Marin County to Sonoma Valley, Life is Good Here! They make it sound like a more happening place than the impression given by the slideshow I watched.

Fairfax, California is a groovy little town West of San Anselmo and the Marin County seat, San Rafael. Known for it’s liberal politics, redwoods and oaks, bicyclists (who think they are on the Tour de France) and its diverse and colorful population, often seen wearing tie-dyed t-shirts and burning incense.

Fairfax is also home to the most night life in Marin County, with quite the variety of small night clubs like 19 Broadway, Peri’s, Café Amsterdam (which is being replaced by a revived Sleeping Lady Café) and don’t forget about the Fairfax Theater.

Before you go and check out all this night life, you are probably going to want to catch a meal at one of the many restaurants like Iron Springs Pub and Brewery, Fradelizio’s, Ghiringelli’s Pizzeria, Barefoot Café, Grilly’s, Pancho Villa’s, Siam Lotus, M&G Burgers, Chad’s Grill and Garden Cafe or Deer Park Villa.

During the day there are some unique shops to peruse like Lola’s Depot, Magpie and Yeah Baby (all three are clothing and novelty stores), Purple Haze Smoke Shop, Sherman’s General Store, The Potting Shed, Fat Angel Bakery, Culture Shock, Frog’s Spa, Revolution 9, Tibet Moon and, of course, there is much more.

In addition to night life, restaurants and shopping, Fairfax also offers many community events throughout the year like the Fairfax Farmer’s Market (which is really more like an event than a market), the Annual Fairfax Town Picnic and Barbecue, the Annual Fairfax Festival and EcoFest, the Annual Easter Egg Hunt in Bolinas Park, the Annual Good Festival, and there is usually something going on Earth Day as well. And if that isn’t enough, Fairfax even offers one of California’s finest golf clubs, the Meadow Club.

Let’s face it, Fairfax is very unique. In fact, they have a bumper sticker that reads “Only in Fairfax” because it just has it’s own special feel and appeal. There are sites dedicated to photography of it and even Wikipedia weighs in with some pretty interesting stuff.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 PM

I have a horde of friends in both San Anselmo and Fairfax. I enjoy visiting them and there's plenty of stuff to do. I will not say "go for it", but will leave that to you to decide. ha. Best.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:47 PM

I would love to hear from someone who knows the Scotts Valley area as well as the Fairfax/San Anselmo area so they could compare the two for me. That might be like finding a needle in a haystack though. Anyone out there who knows about these towns well enough to give a comparison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland