Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:28 PM

961 posts, read 2,567,023 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who is familiar with the two areas tell me what the weather differences are between Scotts Valley and Fairfax/San Anselmo area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Albany actually would be better for you than Marin imHo. I live in Marin and while people love to talk about being organic, Marinites have one heck of a carbon footprint. LOL
I think that you are right. Thanks for your valuable input.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:50 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,266,964 times
I would say the climate is fairly similar between Fairfax and Scotts Valley. Both are sort of in the coastal mountains and catch a good amount of the winter rains when they come, so there are lots of redwoods and such. Summers are warm, sunny, and dry, and winters are cool to mild and unpredictable. Scotts Valley probably has more warm days in the winter, but Fairfax is probably a bit warmer in summer.

Fairfax would also be a good fit for you. It's really a whole lifestyle, and it's incredibly unique -- more so than Albany, which I know you're looking at too. But for the price range you want, Albany can be a great compromise because of the demographic, location, etc. You'll get a lot more house for the money there.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM

*Update* So we have been living in Capitola (Santa Cruz) since March. On the way in from Chicago we drove through Albany and while it was nice, it wasn't for us. Scotts Valley had too much of a conservative, mountain town vibe. We didn't even bother looking in Marin since the commute would be terrible for DH. But things could be changing soon and they may finally let him work from home full time. That would make Marin an option for us again. We plan to drive up there this weekend.

Can anyone comment on how the real estate market is going up there? I am finding that most of the houses in our price range are in San Rafael. There also happen to be mid century modern homes (our favorite!) and the Dixie school district which has a great reputation. I'd love to hear everyone's take on living in San Rafael. TIA!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Of course we will be looking at Fairfax extensively as well since so many of you pointed us in that direction (thanks again everyone!). I took a look at median sales prices in the different cities in Marin this morning and they have come down quite a bit. When I look at mls though, Fairfax seems out of our reach for now anyway.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:35 PM

184 posts, read 448,066 times
San Rafael is nice and close enough that you could spend your evenings or weekends in neighboring areas like Fairfax. Some people complain about the sketchy areas of San Rafael like the Canal District, it never seemed that bad to me and it's easy to avoid since it's limited to a few areas. I don't think it's as charming as Fairfax or San Anselmo, but the price reflects that.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Default Microclimates

Thanks for your reply eightiesfan. I'm really looking forward to our drive up these this weekend.

Can anyone tell me about the weather in Fairfax, San Anselmo & San Rafael (or any other place you think we should be looking)? Are there well known microclimates? When I look at weather statistics, they always seem inaccurate. For example, the stats show that the average sunny days are 258 in Aptos, 255 in Soquel (which gets MUCH less fog than Aptos) and 257 in Fairfax. The rainfall is 35.5" in Fairfax and only 24.9" in Aptos. Yet people tell me that Fairfax is warmer, sunnier and less rainy than Aptos.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:06 PM

184 posts, read 448,066 times
No worries. I'm not sure that the 3 vary that much climate wise. I can tell you it's usually much warmer and sunnier in those 3 than it is in the city. It's not uncommon that I'll leave my place in SF with a jacket or sweater on and by the time I'm across the Golden Gate I'm just in a tshirt.

I've never lived in Santa Cruz but the time I've spent there seems much cooler and foggier than the North Bay communities discussed.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:16 PM

That sounds good to me. Santa Cruz is chilly and foggy quite a bit and that is a bummer for me.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:00 AM

63 posts, read 225,325 times
Fairfax is a cute organic hippie town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland