Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:45 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
I remember researching Berkeley pretty heavily before as we know it is a liberal area, but I couldn't remember what turned us off (as I have researched so many places it is difficult to keep them straight). But I just did a little looking and realized that it was the schools and the crime in the area. Albany seems to have good schools though.
You saved me from writing my little summary. I think you should check out Albany if it appeals to you.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 AM

18 posts, read 59,746 times
Do Fairfax or San Anselmo get very foggy and cool? How is the weather generally?
Does anyone know how schools are in these areas?
Thanks

Old 02-08-2009, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,376 times
Hi! okay, so fairfax, is absolutely, hands down, the right place for you. Marin is a beautiful, wonderful county. And fairfax is a quiet town tucked away, just a few miles west of san rafael and San Anselmo. It is a very safe town, good schools, and maybe a little out of your price range, but relatively less expensive than the majority of Marin. Its also inland, so it doesn't get a lot of fog. There is a local health food store, and a darling downtown; and isn't a far drive to the whole foods and trader Joes in San Rafael. TRUST ME. Move to Fairfax, it's my favorite town on earth.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,461 times
Default Fairfax

Thanks everyone! We were pretty focused on Scotts Valley, but since so many of you are telling me Fairfax, I am intrigued. I told DH today that we shouldn't commit ourselves to a rental in Scotts Valley until we have had a chance to go to Fairfax. He agrees. If anyone has anymore detailed info about it, please share!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcestream View Post
Do Fairfax or San Anselmo get very foggy and cool? How is the weather generally?
Does anyone know how schools are in these areas?
Thanks
I was hoping someone would answer your questions so I am bumping this thread.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:17 AM

18 posts, read 59,746 times
Thank you. Does anyone know about the fog, weather and schools in Fairfax or San Anselmo?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesfan View Post
Again, check out Fairfax in the North Bay area, or San Anselmo and San Rafael.

Maybe try Campbell or Willow Glen in the SJ area?

If you've written off the Santa Cruz area it's going to be tough to find everything you are looking for in 1 place. Best of luck to you.
I was looking at pictures of Fairfax today and it looks like it might be a little too Bohemian for us. I will still check it out in person. But we're hippies at heart, but not the Birkenstock wearing, super laid back types. Also, it looks like we'd have to drive to other towns for Whole Foods and Trader Joes. I am coming there in 24 days () to check it out while DH drives cross country. Do most people think that Fairfax is the only place worth looking at for us? What about San Anselmo and San Rafael? I definitely don't want to be anywhere near gangs with my children.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:38 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,931 times
Do you really want to move out here? No place is "perfect".

Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM

I know that no place is perfect. We lived in CA for 13 years and it is as close to perfect as you can get in this country in our opinion.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
There tends to be some gang activity in central/eastern San Rafael, mostly hispanic youths, I think, although I am no expert. I live in norther San Rafael, and you don't see that, except occasional graffiti. We are in the Dixie school district, which is one of the best in the area. We have friends who have lived in Fairfax for 25 years, and who are not hippies. You don't have to wear birkenstocks and tie-dye to fit in. Maybe the pictures you saw emphasize that side of Fairfax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland