Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 PM

60 posts, read 435,731 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family is trying to decide where to move, now that are lease is almost up, and my work situation is changing. Currently, my husband works in Redwood Shores, and I have a few job possibilities in San Franciso. I have a four year old, so do want to get set up for good schools. Ideal would be rent for $2700or less (less is preferred). We currently live in Sunnyvale.

1. Does Pacifica make sense location-wise for a commute to Redwood Shores and San Francisco (probably around Embarcadero bart station). Is the Daly City bart station the closest one to Pacifica, or is Colma better?
2. If Pacifica is an option, I have heard that Linda Mar is the sunnier part of town (and Sun Valley?). Is this area really significantly sunnier than the rest of town? Is it comparable to the Sunset in SF or Burlingame, weatherwise. Is it feasible to find a 3 bedroom home in LInda Mar in my price range? Is there another part of Pacifica that is sunny as well?
3. Alameda - is a commute from Alameda to Redwood City reasonable, or horrible? Has anyone done this commute, and if so, how long did it take? Does living in Bay Farm make the commute any better? Is Bay Farm really vulnerable to liquification in the case of an earthquake? (I never cared about this until I lived out of state, and got an outsider's perspective). Is it possible to find house rentals in the East End or Gold Coast in my price range (thinking about schools)?
4. Does anyone have first hand experience with Pacifica schools, particularly elementary schools in the Linda Mar area?

Thank you, and sorry for so many questions. They have been building up for some time!

P.S. This forum was an invaluable resource when my family moved from the east coast to Silicon Valley one year ago. Thanks for everyone's time and input!

Last edited by gmkarr; 12-11-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Pacifica gets seriously seriously fogged in. There have been times that I was driving on 35 through the East Sharp Park area, the wind was blowing, my windshield wipers and headlights were on and I couldn't see 100 feet. If you're willing to deal with that, the commute is not bad otherwise. There are express buses from almost anywhere in town that can take you to San Francisco or to Colma BART, plus regular service to the BART stations during off-peak hours. I don't know about getting to Redwood Shores from there on public transit, though, you'd have to drive but it's not a bad trip.

Alameda to Redwood Shores.. well.. the San Mateo Bridge isn't bad normally, but 880 is a very unreliable and unpredictable commute. Both commutes are too long for my taste. If it was my choice, I'd rent a townhouse in Redwood Shores or Foster City.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 AM

60 posts, read 435,731 times
Thanks very much for your post, Sonarrat! I know I packed in a lot of questions.

To clarify, the commute to Redwood Shores would definitely be by car, and my commute to San Francisco (near embarcadero of financial district) would definitely be by public transportation.

Since I am responsible for the childcare pickup part, I am trying to keep my commute the shortest. It looks like the commute from Redwood Shores to San Francisco would be pretty long?

Also, have you noticed if the Linda Mar area in Pacifica is significantly sunnier than the rest of the town - I have heard that it is sunny, but maybe that just means "sunnier" than the rest of Pacifica, rather than sunny like another city like Burlingame.

I should add that one reason for my interest in Alameda (besides commute to San Francisco), is that I just love the town, and it is close to the grandparents.

Many thanks!

-Grace

Last edited by gmkarr; 12-12-2008 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
There is an express bus from Redwood Shores to SF Mission & First St, the SamTrans NX, and another one from Foster City, the FX.

I think you're right, Linda Mar doesn't get the severe winds and fog that East Sharp Park does.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:39 AM

21 posts, read 119,304 times
Sonarrat is right (once again!) in that many parts of Pacifica get unbelievable foggy. I helped a client find a home in the valley area off Fassler Ave, which is one area that doesn't get as much fog. The further you go back in that valley, the less fog you get.

They have a similar commute situation to yours -- one goes to the City, and the other to Palo Alto. To get out of Pacifica and over to the bay side of the Peninsula, the best (only) route is to go north and over Skyline to i280. This is fine for the SF commute, but for Redwood Shores it means doubling-back by several miles. My client said the commute to Palo Alto was taking her about 40 minutes (and not during peak time.) So you can figure Redwood Shores is going to take about 25ish???

Just something to consider. With jobs in SF and Redwood Shores, I'd recommend staying on the Bay side ...just my 0.02 worth!

Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,460 times
Default Paifica

I have lived in Pacifica for 17 years and raised 2 daughters here. THe best elementary school I believe is Ocean Shore, Carrillo and Vallemar your child can attend any of those schools anywhere you live in Pacifica. They do hold a lottery though and at times can be hard to get a slot in one of those schools.
The weather is VERY foggy and cold usually although we do get "Indian summer where it can be one of the most beautiful sunny (but mild) places I have ever seen... the green hills, the ocean,the sunsets ... You can find a house for sure in you price range - I pay $2300 for my 3x2 house. Linda mar can be a lot sunnier (that's where I live) "the back of the Valley as we call it or the BOV can be quite warm when the rest of the town is fogged in. Some houses back there even have pools !
I think its a great place to raise kids but not so much teenagers. If you don't keep them surer engaged and in to sports you can lose them - I don't really recommend the High Schools here. I guess it depends on the child.
The Bart station is about 10 min away in Daly City and easy to get to for your SF commute, redwood-shores isn't to bad of a drive either 30 min I would say depending on traffic, if you get to 280 as quick as you can it's actually a very beautiful drive, not all stressful and icky like 101.
Pacifica is a strong community we have made many great friends here.
It also did very well during the last "big one",built on bedrock in a lot of places and solid.
Hope this helps !

Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
This topic is from 3 years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland