Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:28 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Conservative places like the south are extremely cheap for a reason

I live in The Woodlands, Texas. Almost all of The Woodlands is in Montgomery County.

The Daily Caller has ranked Montgomery County, Texas as the 3rd most conservative county in the nation.

The Woodlands is the largest of the CDPs/Townships/Cities in Montgomery County. It has about 110,000 residents.

Per Redfin, there are currently 266 SFRs/Townhomes/and Condos on the market in the Montgomery County part (most of) The Woodlands listed at $800,000 and above. Per HAR, the part of The Woodlands that is not in Montgomery County adds another 19 to that total.

Moving on to the county The Daily Caller has ranked as #1...the most conservative county in the nation...Williamson County, Tennessee. Williamson County also ranked as the 17th wealthiest county in the nation in 2006, and the 17th wealthiest again in 2010.

The two largest cities in Williamson County, Franklin and Brentwood, together have about the same population as The Woodlands, Texas.

Per Redfin, Franklin and Brentwood together currently have 291 SFRs/Townhomes/Condos on the market at $800,000 and above.

Now let's look at the two cities in the Bay Area that are the closest in population to my Texas example and my Tennessee example......Santa Clara (116k +) and Concord (125k est.)

Per Redfin, Santa Clara currently has 46 SFRs/Townhomes/and Condos listed at $800,000 and above.
Per Redfin, Concord currently has 20 SFRs/Townhomes/and Condos listed at $800,000 and above.

Looking at more of the picture (but without looking at the total number on the market at any price), one could wildly guess that more properties in the $800,000 and above category aren't on the market in Santa Clara or Concord because longtime owners don't want to give up their low assessed valuation (courtesy of Prop 13).

However, another part of that larger picture is that the owners of those $800,000 + residences in my Texas example (and I imagine in Tennessee as well) are paying a higher % of the assessed value in Property taxes....and that is obviously sans Prop 13 as well.

Concord is one of the cities in the East Bay that is that farthest from Silicon Valley....but Santa Clara...nope.

Per HAR, the most expensive residence currently listed on the market in The Woodlands is listed at $15,000,000.00....and a sale is pending.

Last edited by RMESMH; 04-07-2016 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

I live in The Woodlands, Texas. Almost all of The Woodlands is in Montgomery County.

The Daily Caller has ranked Montgomery County, Texas as the 3rd most conservative county in the nation.

The Woodlands is the largest of the CDPs/Townships/Cities in Montgomery County. It has about 110,000 residents.

Per Redfin, there are currently 266 SFRs/Townhomes/and Condos on the market in the Montgomery County part (most of) The Woodlands listed at $800,000 and above. Per HAR, the part of The Woodlands that is not in Montgomery County adds another 19 to that total.

Moving on to the county The Daily Caller has ranked as #1...the most conservative county in the nation...Williamson County, Tennessee. Williamson County also ranked as the 17th wealthiest county in the nation in 2006, and the 17th wealthiest again in 2010.

The two largest cities in Williamson County, Franklin and Brentwood, together have about the same population as The Woodlands, Texas.

Per Redfin, Franklin and Brentwood together currently have 291 SFRs/Townhomes/Condos on the market at $800,000 and above.

Now let's look at the two cities in the Bay Area that are the closest in population to my Texas example and my Tennessee example......Santa Clara (116k +) and Concord (125k est.)

Per Redfin, Santa Clara currently has 46 SFRs/Townhomes/and Condos listed at $800,000 and above.
Per Redfin, Concord currently has 20 SFRs/Townhomes/and Condos listed at $800,000 and above.

Looking at more of the picture (but without looking at the total number on the market at any price), one could wildly guess that more properties in the $800,000 and above category aren't on the market in Santa Clara or Concord because longtime owners don't want to give up their low assessed valuation (courtesy of Prop 13).

However, another part of that larger picture is that the owners of those $800,000 + residences in my Texas example (and I imagine in Tennessee as well) are paying a higher % of the assessed value in Property taxes....and that is obviously sans Prop 13 as well.

Concord is one of the cities in the East Bay that is that farthest from Silicon Valley....but Santa Clara...nope.

Per HAR, the most expensive residence currently listed on the market in The Woodlands is listed at $15,000,000.00....and a sale is pending.
Compare upscale with upscale. Bring in hillsborough, atherton, Palo Alto, Menlo park, woodside, portola valley, and your little McMansions get crushed. Comparing places based on population is stupid and you know it. We can pull out terrible comparisons all day long: alpine nj to Podunk Alabama or Detroit to San Francisco.
Santa Clara is solidly middle/working class and concord is definitely working class/lower class.

Last edited by Perma Bear; 04-07-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok...?
You can't use the correlation/causation argument all the time. Otherwise you might as well let Jeffrey Dahmer run a boys camp.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
You can't use the correlation/causation argument all the time. Otherwise you might as well let Jeffrey Dahmer run a boys camp.
When all you're doing is pointing out "trends" with no explanation for it yeah you kind of can.

Look at cities with the highest crime rates, they area all pretty much democratic and have large black/minority populations so there for that must be the reason why crime is so high. That's basically your oversimplified line of thinking in a nutshell.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
When all you're doing is pointing out "trends" with no explanation for it yeah you kind of can.

Look at cities with the highest crime rates, they area all pretty much democratic and have large black/minority populations so there for that must be the reason why crime is so high. That's basically your oversimplified line of thinking in a nutshell.
I've also mentioned that democrats bring in better stock market returns and have stronger job markets in the cities run by them with only a few exceptions i.e. Detroit which was crippled by only having 1 industry

Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Compare upscale with upscale. Bring in hillsborough, atherton, Palo Alto, Menlo park, woodside, portola valley, and your little McMansions get crushed. Comparing places based on population is stupid and you know it. We can pull out terrible comparisons all day long: alpine nj to Podunk Alabama or Detroit to San Francisco.
Santa Clara is solidly middle/working class and concord is definitely working class/lower class.

^^^^^ And this has nothing to do with your idiotic original question, 'how can conservatives afford an 800g house?' that motivated my original reply.

My previous post = just a small example that illustrates the idiocy of that 'conservatives/800g' question. Obviously plenty of conservatives can afford 800k plus.

As Churchill said ....."If you're not a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at 40 you have no brain".

I'm guessing that you are fairly young.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
I've also mentioned that democrats bring in better stock market returns and have stronger job markets in the cities run by them with only a few exceptions i.e. Detroit which was crippled by only having 1 industry
Ok so? That still doesn't mean they are that way because they are "liberal". Also a lot of the cities with the strongest job markets are considered "conservative" too, like Dallas and Houston.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Ok so? That still doesn't mean they are that way because they are "liberal". Also a lot of the cities with the strongest job markets are considered "conservative" too, like Dallas and Houston.
I guess I should tell the tech millionaires who live on multi acre estates in atherton that they have no brain and the tea party redneck who lives in a trailer park in Mississippi is smarter than him. It's gonna be tough to break it to them.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Most large cities are run (if you mean government officials) by Democrats.

Sav858 was discussing the residents themselves and their lawlessness and lack of personal responsibility.....not the people who run the cities.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Most large cities are run (if you mean government officials) by Democrats.

Sav858 was discussing the residents themselves and their lawlessness and lack of personal responsibility.....not the people who run the cities.
In that case I agree. Naive college kids and welfare recipients who vote d for no reason are dumb and don't help. The economic policies of democrats and their support of immigration are what help our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland