Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 17,801 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family (wife and two young kids, not yet in school) are moving to Santa Rosa for a job transfer soon, but aren't sure where to live. We did some preliminary research on SR schools (not very encouraging) and found the Rincon Valley was recommended for great schools and safe neighborhoods-first and foremost, we want to live in an area where we can feel safe. Can anyone give me a "boots on the ground" perspective on SR vs Rincon Valley? Is RV a suburb of SR? Coming from the Twin Cities, everything is a suburb and no one admits to actually living in Minneapolis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Rincon Valley is a neighborhood in Santa Rosa...there are a few Santa Rosa folks roaming around here ..I'm boots on the ground for Petaluma if your interested, otherwise, I'm sure the SR folk will appear shortly!

Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM

516 posts, read 1,338,627 times
Hey, I answered this on the general California forum....

Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 44,804 times
I don''t recommend livng in Sonoma County... Period!! Too many illegal alien gang-bangers everywhere! Guerneville is especially bad, comprised of used-up old hippies and a fresh supply of white powder drug dealers from Mexico.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank2 View Post
I don''t recommend livng in Sonoma County... Period!! Too many illegal alien gang-bangers everywhere! Guerneville is especially bad, comprised of used-up old hippies and a fresh supply of white powder drug dealers from Mexico.
I'm guessing with this kind of misinformation that you probably DON'T live in Sonoma County then. Which is good for everyone involved.

Actually most of the old hippies live in Sebastopol (and in Humboldt County). These days Guerneville is more of a gay town.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank2 View Post
Clearly this poster lives in Arkansas.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshMN View Post
Hello, my family (wife and two young kids, not yet in school) are moving to Santa Rosa for a job transfer soon, but aren't sure where to live. We did some preliminary research on SR schools (not very encouraging) and found the Rincon Valley was recommended for great schools and safe neighborhoods-first and foremost, we want to live in an area where we can feel safe. Can anyone give me a "boots on the ground" perspective on SR vs Rincon Valley? Is RV a suburb of SR? Coming from the Twin Cities, everything is a suburb and no one admits to actually living in Minneapolis!
I've tried to resist the urge to post, but every time I open up the SF page I see this post's heading. So, here goes... just got to stick up for my home town of Minneapolis! Not everything is a suburb, and I can say from experience that there are just as many people there who would never admit to being from a suburb. (yes, I'm a little touchy, but a couple of weeks ago in SF someone asked me if people "actually lived" in the city of Minneapolis. Yes, they do. Happily.)

Ignore Hank2. Don't know what his problem is. Sorry I don't have any useful information to contribute, other than to say that California is a great state, and the weather should be a nice change from Minnesota!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:20 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Look into Novato...perhaps better socio-economics than stuff further North (and an easy commute given CA weather and traffic flows)

Much as Medtronic often lists Minneapolis as hq (in Annual Repts, etc), even though in suburban ?Fridley, most of SF region's economy is based in various suburbs (just most are ~40mis S of SF in Silicon Valley, not up in Marin/Sonoma/Napa or out in EastBay, aside from Chevron)...

Old 05-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Don't live in Novato if you are going to be working in Santa Rosa. Its not worth the commute (which will NOT be easy once you get to Petaluma on the 101).

Besides why live in Marin County when you can live in Sonoma County? Sonoma is cheaper and more beautiful.

One thing that I was thinking though, if you are already looking at Rincon Valley, you might be able to find a cool country place in Kenwood or Glen Ellen if you don't mind the additional driving time. I've always wanted to be able to live there, personally.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 17,801 times
Thanks Stacy-It's not easy trying to "see" the big picture from 2000 miles away.
Uptown- I guess I was just trying to distinguish between SR and an area/burb/neighborhood. While I don't live in Minneapolis proper, I love the city too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland