Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:16 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,411 times

Advertisements

You don't need car and can just walk or ride a bike to your grocery store and library? No need for bus most of the time?

Is this the case in SD or LA as well? I don't like traveling too long for my groceries.

Last edited by Kansoku; 08-31-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM

12 posts, read 27,373 times
Default Since SF is Manhattan of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
You don't need car and can just walk or ride a bike to your grocery store and library? No need for bus most of the time?

Is this the case in SD or LA as well? I don't like traveling too long for my groceries.
It depends. I wouldn't say that SF is like Manhattan at all - it's more low key. LOL!

I live in LA and I think that SF is more accessible with their public transportation & the city is compact that you can walk & ride your bike throughout the city with access to whatever you need. The BART is pricey, but the buses & MUNI trains are cheap - $2; you can use the tickets as transfers up to a certain time.

LA is bigger & more spread out, so having a car makes it easier to get around. There is access to metro lines & buses, but the metro rail only stops at certain areas. I'm hoping that LA can provide PT like SF in the future. We have a lot of commuters that travel up to 4 hours to work each day.

There are many neighborhoods that you can walk to your local coffee shop, grocery store, library, etc, - it just depends on what your prefer in a neighborhood. Downtown LA is building up a lot with restaurants, bars & clubs and I've seen plenty of people walking around late at night. When I first moved to LA, downtown was literally a ghost town at night.

San Diego's PT I'm not sure about. It is spread out as well & most residents depend on their car too, but it is walkable depending on the area you want to live.

If you don't own a car or want to drive a lot, the Bay Area is the place to be.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgzinthecity View Post
If you don't own a car or want to drive a lot, the Bay Area is the place to be.
Agreed. The Bay Area (really just the city of San Francisco) is the only place west of Chicago that I would even consider living in without a car.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Depends where you live. I lived in LA for three years (in two different locations) without driving. It depends on where you live and where you work. Parts of LA are better served by public transportation than are parts of SF. I usually walked to get my groceries, but sometimes got lazy and hopped on a bus to get back. In both places I lived within easy walking distance of stores, library, restaurants, doctors, and everything else I needed for daily life.

Most parts of the city of SF are very easy to live in without a car (although some areas are less walkable than some parts of LA), but that's not necessarily true of the entire Bay Area.

I can't speak for San Diego , although I have friends who live there and who do very little driving. I think if you live in the right place you'd be able to live a carfree life pretty easily.

In all cases, whether SF, LA, or SD, the trick will be picking the right neighborhood. You can find nice, walkable neighborhoods in all three cities.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
You can live in SF without a car assuming that you live & work in the city. The difference between SF & NYC are the hills. If you live outside of SF (meaning in the Bay Area) you might need a car.
In L.A. it is possible to live without a car if you live near a major street served public transportation and there is a supermarket/pharmacy, etc. within walking distance. But in general to get around L.A. without a car can be problematic.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Having lived in paris, chicago... I don't think SF has the same pt options you might be used to if you are coming from that perspective. I would use a mix preferably... have a car for the area, but u can use public transportation easily for a lot of things as well. It is still good to have one, unlike NYC it is a hassle and expense to have it. If you are limiting yourself to JUST sf...yeah you can get around, but I wouldn't... The Bay area has a lot of stuff to explore in comparison to other metros where u probably want a car, and I think that is why a lot of people choose the area (certainly not just for SF)
My overall advice, get a cheap car, use public trans when u can. If you are couple I think you can easily get by with just having one car, and not two like many other places.
If you are in SF I don't think u will have to go very far to anything though, walkable in almost any time of year.
Don't go there expecting it is Manhattan though, definitely urban and a city, but, not Manhattan.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:29 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
Seattle is the Manhattan of the West. San Francisco is a beast all its own.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:10 PM

12 posts, read 25,366 times
Quote:
Seattle is the Manhattan of the West.
First time I've ever heard that said. And I disagree.

San Francisco is a mini-Manhattan on the West Coast. I wouldn't call it a "beast" in any regards save natural scenery, aesthetics, and computer technology (in some of its peripheral communities).

Los Angeles is a big, powerful city, heavily populated, and teeming with the dynamics and opportunities to "make it big" of a Manhattan, though spread across a vast basin -- the antithesis of compact.

Seattle is a sparkling gem of its own, even on its rainy days, nearly every day.

L.A. is a global alpha city, like Manhattan. SF is not far off being one. Seattle is the next tier down altogether.

Last edited by Danoliafoya; 09-01-2009 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
My overall advice, get a cheap car, use public trans when u can. If you are couple I think you can easily get by with just having one car, and not two like many other places.
If you are in SF I don't think u will have to go very far to anything though, walkable in almost any time of year.
Don't go there expecting it is Manhattan though, definitely urban and a city, but, not Manhattan.
I'm moving to San Francisco in a few months and I plan on keeping my car. However, my biggest concern is parking. I most likely won't be able to afford a place that comes with a dedicated parking spot (at least in the city) so how is street parking in SF? I've heard some say that it's not so bad, while others say it's impossible. I'm purposely looking at the Sunset and Richmond districts because street parking seems easier in these places. But is it? What about car owners who live in more densely packed areas like Nob Hill or North Beach? Do they rent garage space?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
The Sunset and the Richmond may be "easier" for parking, but that's all relative. I can only speak for the Inner and Central Richmond, but you'll be spending a lot of time cruising for parking if you live in those areas. Not to say that there aren't spots, but let's just say that the spots in front of our place remain empty for about 10 seconds, max. You can rent garage spaces, though.

I think there are quieter areas of the Richmond and Sunset where parking is a bit easier, and yes, my Richmond-based friends who have lived elsewhere in the city do say that it's easier in the Richmond compared to many neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland