Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:53 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Speaking of great food at any budget.
Quote:
of late can you find crème brûlée peddled from a cart and pizzas slung from a Weber converted into a wood-burning oven.
Street Food.
An assortment of Spencer on the Go food, including lobster orange salad, escargot lollipops, skate cheeks, blue crab soup, and braised sweetbreads.

yummy.

Bay Area Street Food, San Francisco, Oakland, Taco Trucks, Food Carts: Chefs + Restaurants : gourmet.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
^holy crap, that looks amazing! I can't believe they sell something like that out of a mobile truck. Do you how much a meal like that would be from a street cart?

One thing I did notice after spending time in LA is that the Bay Area seems to lack good east coast style Jewish deli's compared to LA.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:49 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
One thing I did notice after spending time in LA is that the Bay Area seems to lack good east coast style Jewish deli's compared to LA.
yes...L.A. probably beats us witless as far as kosher and/or jewish delis.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL

Next time ur in Oakland--please check out Zachary's on College Avenue in Rockridge-that place has a cult following(scary actuallyLOL) cause the pizza there is just out of this world.

Zachary's Pizza 100 best pizza awards San Francisco Bay Area Oakland Berkeley San Ramon CA Restaurants
Yes. For Chicago style. THE best.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
One of the things I can't stand about bay area eating is that everything closes very early. In NY and LA you can find pretty much whatever food you want at all hours of the day. Can't say the same thing for here and the East Bay just doesn't do this. Zachary's is ok, but not better than NY pizzas.
Hey man! That's because ... I get up every day at 6AM (weekends included) to go .... JOGGING!!!! WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Only Neanderthals stay out late!!! /sarc

Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,403,257 times
I was born and raised in the Bay Area. I currently live in Midtown. I do miss the Bay Area a lot. There are so many vastly different feels and landscapes that are day trips like Tahoe, Napa, and Monterey. There is just not that kind of variety here in Atlanta. I do like the Midtown and Buckhead area of Atlanta. I live in one of the new highrises in Midtown. I can walk to about 40 great bars and restaurants. We actually do have a great restaurant scene. I actually just ate at Richard Blaise's (Top Chef, Iron Chef) restaurant FLIP complete with liquid nitrogen milk shakes. It was very good and not very expensive. Three of this seasons Top Chef contestants are from Atlanta. I think that anyone from the Bay Area would be impressed by the bar and restaurant scene in Atlanta if they gave it a chance. Just don't expect a Bay View!

While I do miss the Bay Area, there is no way to live my current lifestyle in San Francisco. It would cost so much more. I found the people out here to be very nice also. On my way to Atlanta, I lived in Boston which was very different for a native Californian. I couldn't get out of there sooner (even though I lived there for five years).

Old 10-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Oh yeah, please don't judge Atlanta by the Housewives of... They are not from Atlanta as much as they are from a different planet. I haven't actually seen the show, but the commercials are enough to make the standard Atlantan sick.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I was born and raised in the Bay Area. I currently live in Midtown. I do miss the Bay Area a lot. There are so many vastly different feels and landscapes that are day trips like Tahoe, Napa, and Monterey. There is just not that kind of variety here in Atlanta. I do like the Midtown and Buckhead area of Atlanta. I live in one of the new highrises in Midtown. I can walk to about 40 great bars and restaurants. We actually do have a great restaurant scene. I actually just ate at Richard Blaise's (Top Chef, Iron Chef) restaurant FLIP complete with liquid nitrogen milk shakes. It was very good and not very expensive. Three of this seasons Top Chef contestants are from Atlanta. I think that anyone from the Bay Area would be impressed by the bar and restaurant scene in Atlanta if they gave it a chance. Just don't expect a Bay View!

While I do miss the Bay Area, there is no way to live my current lifestyle in San Francisco. It would cost so much more. I found the people out here to be very nice also. On my way to Atlanta, I lived in Boston which was very different for a native Californian. I couldn't get out of there sooner (even though I lived there for five years).
How long does it take to reach the Western NC ski areas with no traffic (for example, driving up there on a mid week day, mid morning after the commute)?

Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 AM

It only takes about 2 and a half hours to get to western NC from Atlanta. I don't hear a whole lot of raves about southern skiing. I really don't know how much snow they get at all. Here is Atlanta, we might get a light snow a couple times a year. OF course the whole town shuts down. The things they call mountains out here, people in the Bay Area would call foothills.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:36 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
18Montclair, I hope the food tastes as good as it looks in the pictures. There are many photos and restaurants I can show of LA, NY, and Atlanta too.

Archan, the skiing isn't so bad but better on the west coast. The more North of Atlanta one goes the more mountainous it gets. I was so surprised when I was in Marietta and had a mountain view of the city. No GA doesn't have Napa but there is always Le Chateu Elan (hope I spelled that right). Virginia and the Carolinas now has vineyards as does Georgia. North Carolina beaches and the scenery is just so beautiful (different from CA yes, but has its own beautiful feel). A 2 hour drive to me is close enough since I hardly have time to enjoy the beach or the mountains here anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland