Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don't think that Chevy plant is at 73rd and Foothill.... it's looks like the one near me on Durant and International. I recognize the water tower -- it's still there and painted for the Durant Center.
For the life of me I couldnt figure out where on 73rd that was--but just copied directly from the source anyway.

Thanks for the clarification!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
I don't think that Chevy plant is at 73rd and Foothill.... it's looks like the one near me on Durant and International. I recognize the water tower -- it's still there and painted for the Durant Center.
Upon review... the hills in the background look to be too close for the Durant Plant and it looks like the Leona Quarry is clearly visible too.

Don't forget that Foothill Square was the site of the first purpose built passenger buses and later the company became Peterbilt as in Peterbilt Trucks...

Chrysler also had a Oakland Plant too...

Oakland wasn't called the Detroit of the West for nothing...

Old 12-03-2009, 10:41 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Upon review... the hills in the background look to be too close for the Durant Plant and it looks like the Leona Quarry is clearly visible too.

Don't forget that Foothill Square was the site of the first purpose built passenger buses and later the company became Peterbilt as in Peterbilt Trucks...

Chrysler also had a Oakland Plant too...

Oakland wasn't called the Detroit of the West for nothing...
The guy I knew had said it was a Chevy Plant -- he could have been wrong and it was a Chrysler plant? He worked at the Pelton Center Discount Stock brokers, which I don't think is there now. He showed me pics of my old neighborhood and one of them showed a very familiar face to just about every one here.... a very young man who got his start as a stunt man in Hollywood. Jimmy Stewart. Apparently knew this man's older brother and came up for a visit... He showed me all this when I went in to sell my nine shares of Bay View stock. They had just started the ESOP when they closed my little branch in San Ramon and I got laid off.

I also remember when I worked at Bay View near Bay Fair quite a few times some old old cars driving up and certain family members coming in to do their banking.... Those cars certainly were beauties, and one of the tellers there, Susan... I don't remember her last name -- had a crush on those handsome young men.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:46 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Is Lake Merritt a natural lake? For some reason I thought it was man made....

Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM

328 posts, read 306,805 times
These are some great photos.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The guy I knew had said it was a Chevy Plant -- he could have been wrong and it was a Chrysler plant? He worked at the Pelton Center Discount Stock brokers, which I don't think is there now. He showed me pics of my old neighborhood and one of them showed a very familiar face to just about every one here.... a very young man who got his start as a stunt man in Hollywood. Jimmy Stewart. Apparently knew this man's older brother and came up for a visit... He showed me all this when I went in to sell my nine shares of Bay View stock. They had just started the ESOP when they closed my little branch in San Ramon and I got laid off..
I'm not up to speed as much as I should be... my understanding is the Durant Square facility was used to build the "Oakland" automobile and later used as a parts depot... General Motors also built Durant automobiles too...

A since deceased friend of mine used to work at the Chevrolet Plant as a welder where Eastmont Mall is today... I remember seeing the old plant with every window broken out or at least it seemed like it too me... there was a lot of excitement when the new mall was built to replace it...

Quote:
I also remember when I worked at Bay View near Bay Fair quite a few times some old old cars driving up and certain family members coming in to do their banking.... Those cars certainly were beauties, and one of the tellers there, Susan... I don't remember her last name -- had a crush on those handsome young men
You are too kind... and I think it was my brother Susan was interested in...

PS... the Old Cars are still around... they don't get out much though...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-03-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:

In order to do what they did, they had to keep the facade of the old plant and reuse a great deal of the building. The top level in the picture is also now all rental lofts. I've never been in them.

I once knew a guy who lived near where I do now, and he told me about the area.

Across the street there were fruit orchards, but they soon tore them out to start building (I live near there and my house was built in 1924.) All the streets were fruit names before they became numbers. That's why you still have Apricot, Pippin, Blenhiem (I think that's a peach variety) Pearmain, Apple.... but some orchards remained, behind that neighborhood, in what became San Leandro. Those went in WW2, when they built housing on Bristol and Suffolk, Farrelly, below E 14th and above San Leandro Blvd was all built during the war as war housing when the Chevy plant became a producer for war machinery.

At least that's what he said.
When I was a kid (over across the Bay) there were still a few remnants of apricot orchards surrounded by development. Apricot fights!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
When I was a kid (over across the Bay) there were still a few remnants of apricot orchards surrounded by development. Apricot fights!
I spent more than a few days helping my newly married High School friends work on their first home at Apricot and Orange...

He was working at Grand Auto and she was going to Cal State Hayward and they just had a new born and managed to buy a home on their own... I think they were 22?

Fixed it up real nice and never had a problem with the neighbors... I do remember their daughter looking at some early house pictures and asking why everyone doesn't have a hole in the roof so they can see stars

They bought the quintessential fixer... bought what they could afford and used the pay as you go method to repair with lots of help...

They are both Oakland School Teachers and live high in the Montclare Hills of Oakland now... and yes, that house was a fixer too...

Old 12-03-2009, 03:06 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
nice pictures, some good ones are oakland during world war two. A good portion of the pacific war was being jump started from there.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
^Yeah the Bay Area was involved big time during world war II. A Japanese submarine actually came into range of SF once, and the captain gave the orders to fire on the city...yet miraculously, at the last moment they got an order to go somewhere else, and thus SF literally escaped being attacked by minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland