Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 PM

291 posts, read 958,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The way I'm reading your OP, you're open to San Jose as well. $500K actually goes surprisingly far here. The Santa Teresa area is within your budget, good schools, light-rail service that connects to Caltrain at the Tamien station. There are also some very nice parts of Evergreen and Berryessa within your budget, but the traffic can be intimidating and the public transit is pretty bad.
Yes, I'm interested in the entire bay area including San Jose. I've hear Morgan Hill is also an option, thoughts?

Thank you everyone for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
Yes, I'm interested in the entire bay area including San Jose. I've hear Morgan Hill is also an option, thoughts?

Thank you everyone for your input.
I grew up in Morgan Hill and went to Nordstrom Elementary, which is considered best in the town. It's like San Jose was 50 years ago, with orchards and horses instead of tech companies and Starbucks, and very sleepy.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:12 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Up the money amount, and I'd move to Lafayette.... walking distance to my favorite quilt shop Cotton Patch on Brown Ave...
Sorry off topic, but that place is GREAT (not that I sew/quilt). They have the nicest and most helpful people working in there when I was confused trying to figure out my child's sewing project for school.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
This would have been a lot more fun if you hadn't put those constraints on it. To answer your original question: a home in the Berkeley Hills with a view of Memorial Stadium and the Golden Gate.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
Assuming a portable job and not a lot of money, where can one find the following:

1) Good schools
2) $500k budget for a house or $2500/month for rent
3) Sunny & warm(er) microclimate (hate gloomy days!)
4) Open minded & friendly people
5) Family oriented & safe
6) Near BART

Is this even possible?

I know that inexpensive and good schools don't go together but maybe there's a pocket somewhere...

PS: I wasn't sure where to post this, here or at the San Jose forum. I wanted to include the entire bay area though. So please, if including San Jose area disregard item 6.
I would live in San Rafael. Away from all the crime and poverty in San Francisco city. I have history there anyway. And it seems like a nice city. But too bad it's not that diverse. But hey, you can't win them all.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
Union City=
1. good elementary/middle schools, only 1 option for high school
2. 500k is about average
3. warm/sometimes hot in the summer. low-mid 80s i suppose. rainy (but not crazy rainy) in the winter. really good weather, not cloudy like daly city
4. i suppose
5. yes
6. yes

fremont is also nice, but a little more expensive.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 PM

9 posts, read 48,058 times
los gatos, los altos, palo alto, cupertino, and of course the part of marin close to SF would be my absolute top picks

next on my list would be orinda, lafayette, moraga, pleasanton, san ramon

Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 PM

20 posts, read 125,908 times
"San Mateo or Redwood City, and possibly San Carlos - 500k or 2500 will get you a 2/3 bedroom place"

Sorry, but I can't imagine what that poster was thinking--you would be hard-pressed indeed to find a 2-3 bedroom house for around 500k (or even in the low 600s) in San Mateo, San Carlos or Redwood City, unless it's perhaps in a very scuzzy part of SM or RC with lousy schools. Possibly an older condo would go in that range in those cities. I know the area and the real estate market there pretty well. Two of my cousins in SM are successful real estate agents, and my parents own a home in SM. I also have relatives all over the general area, so we have looked at buying homes in those cities many times, including quite recently.

As far as rent, though, yes, you might be able to rent a decent place for $2500. Stick to the other cities people mentioned for better schools and warmer weather in your price range--San Ramon, Dublin, Walnut Creek, parts of San Jose, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland