Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 AM

Location: Las Vegas, NV and West Hills, CA a few times a month
7 posts, read 28,872 times

Advertisements

I feel I can give you some pretty good info on NYC and LA. I lived in NYC for about 4 years after I graduated high school and go back every year. I go in between LA (West Hills) & Vegas now.

So here's the deal on LA:
California in general is very tempting. It is incredibly beautiful and there are plentiful amounts of people in your occupation, which is a plus and a minus. A plus in that it would be a great place to look for jobs, a minus in that there will be a lot of competition. I agree and disagree with some of the other posts. Contrary to what some people have posted, a car is essential in LA in your profession. If you free lance, that means you'll have to be in different areas. You could do someone's make-up in Calabasas and then have to be in Encino. Those 2 places are about 20 minutes away in a car, without traffic. Imagine trucking a large make-up case through public transportation in the summer (trust me it won't be fun and some of your make-up could melt/get oily). Depending on the location it could take hours on public transportation. I will say the traffic in LA is mind-boggling. It can take over an HOUR to go from West Hills (where my boyfriend lives) to Santa Monica during certain times and it's like that all over LA. Other times it takes 20, but that's 1 hour or 20 mins in an air conditioned car. Silver Lake is nice, also look into Studio City. There are TON's of bars and restaurants on Ventura. If you model, you are one of thousands. There are tons of very beautiful women living in the LA area. Not all of LA is like that, of course not. But you're entering an occupation where there is a high value on beauty. Not to be catty, but you'll have some stiff competition. On the brighter side, the beaches and lifestyle of Southern California are amazing. Volleyball in Santa Monica, driving on the PCH up to Malibu, hiking, wineries in Malibu or down to Temecula (Temecula is south of Orange County going down towards San Diego) which is knock out, drag out gorgeous, etc.. You'll love to be outside because it is so wonderful almost all year round. California has some very big pluses, but remember California is also going through a major budget crisis right now. Jobs everywhere are cut in every field because of the economy. My advice to you is that if LA seems like the right place for you, I'd recommend waiting tables or bartending to start. You can free-lance when your schedule allows it, which will build a name for yourself + pay your rent. Think about it like this: LA is full of actors and actors go to restaurants. Strike up a conversation with your customers and slip them your comp card (if you want them to know you're a model, or a simple business card if you'd like to separate the two). Only do so if they're in the industry and you feel comfortable. If you over-market yourself or are too pushy you could get in trouble from your place of employment. Drop a little of your story and how you're building a clientel since you just moved to LA & to check out your website to see your portfolio of past work. Actors always need headshots. One happy actor can refer you to their friends which means money, experience, and networking. There are also photographers and many other people in the industry. Make friends and network sweetheart, it's what it's all about. If you have some charisma and are good at what you do, it'll take you far.

Onto NYC:
I lived in 3 boroughs: Manhattan (Chelsea), Queens (Astoria, Sunnyside), and Brooklyn (Midwood). I LOVE LOVE LOVE NYC. I am on the verge of moving back myself because I miss it that much. NYC has amazing public trans (i've used public trans in San Diego,Chicago,D.C.,Atlanta,Boston, & NYC is the best). The price is amazing because NYC's public trans. does not go by zone it's one price or $80 for a month long pass called a metrocard. Most neighborhoods in NYC are accessible by subway and they are frequent & reliable for the most part. There are express and local trains. Once you get the hang of the system, you can get to most places reasonable fast. The restaurants are fabulous and you can eat at a cheap, hole in the wall and eat the most amazing food you've ever eaten. The NYC museums are world class.
One great thing about museums is that most of them are suggested ticket prices, so you can spend the whole day in the museum for literally a penny (the Guggenheim isn't and maybe one or two more). You can eat and have your culture on a dime. I can list you dozens of restaurants in the boroughs that have blown my mind and I haven't paid more than $40 for two. There are more interesting people in NYC than in LA in my own opinion. It's more of an intellectual, artsy, eclectic vibe because of the copious amount of different cultures in NYC. Certain pockets in LA have similar things, but not like NYC. Job wise, the market will be similar but not as plentiful as LA. You can apply the same theory I gave you in LA and apply it to NYC and you'd be fine. I don't know what things make you feel "alive" so I can't say that NYC will or won't be what does it for you. NYC has the eco-ness you like and the public trans, but not the outdoorsi-ness of LA. I can tell you that there is no place like NYC. I've traveled all over the country, and NYC just has that je ne sais quoi. It's just a different place. There is an energy about NYC that can't be explained and it's such a fun place to live. Living in NYC also allows you the beauty of traveling to other cities that are reasonably close by like D.C.,Philly, Boston, & Baltimore. There are also tons of flights to South Florida for so cheap during the winter (I have family in Fort Lauderdale and was able to fly round trip to Miami for $120, and it cost me a little less when I flew to Tampa). Atlanta isn't too far away either. Some downsides are the cost of living. You can find a decent 1br or studio apartment for about $800 to a grand in LA in the Valley (West Hills, Canoga Park,Woodland Hills). $1,000 gets you an apartment that's pre-war (meaning old as dirt, not renovated) in either South Brooklyn or no-where Queens that's livable. You might find cheaper or closer to Manhattan, but you'd be living in an 7'-10' bedroom with a total sq footage of about 400sq ft for the entire apartment. Or you can rent a bedroom from someone you find on craigslist. Take heed if you decide to do that, as my past experiences were a closet coke head who spent my rent money on drugs and 2 girls who were bi-polar and manic depressive which I did not know to what extent until after I moved in. Of course not everyone is like that, but I can only give you my experiences. I'd recommend not living in Manhattan, it's too noisy and expensive for the most part. You can get lucky, but I hated waking up to taxi horns at 7am when I lived in Chelsea. Brooklyn has a really cool vibe. I love Park Slope, it has a West Village feel but not as grungy. Lot's of cool restaurants and what not. Williamsburg is full of hipster trendy kids who wear tight pants and rent ridiculously over priced apartments because it's the cool place to live for artsy emo kids. Not a fan. Park Slope is right by Prospect Park which has the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, ice skating in the winter, and lots of jogging paths. It's like a mini Central Park. Other neighborhoods further South that are nice are: Bay Ridge (mixed community, a lot of Muslim people of different descent and some Italians) & I loved living in Midwood. It's way South Brooklyn, almost Coney Island. It was predominately Russian Jewish but it was safe, quiet, and it took me a half hour to get to NYU on the express train. The snow doesn't get THAT bad for the most part. Every few years they get hit with a bad blizzard (this year was one of them). Heavier snow usually falls in Jan-Feb. It's nothing like D.C. or Boston. It doesn't get hit nearly as hard. New York is on the East Coast and does experience all of the seasons. It's like not the dry deserts of NM (I grew up in Vegas, similar climate), but also consider there is a beautiful spring and fall. There are also beaches! Not as nice as some of the LA ones, but nice. The Hamptons are gorge and a half and Jones & Long Beach on Long Island are all there during the summer.

It really comes down to what YOU want and what makes YOU happy love. I wish I could speak more on San Francisco, but i've only been there 2 times so I can't comment on it enough to make a difference. Hope I helped and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 823 times
Hello,

I am film school hunting.... An I notice that everyone gave some great advice to her... now I have done some research on schools in LA and san Francisco, Fl, Ga.... But I have been considering the one in La or San Franciso.... In LA theres usc, ucla, la hollywood, film connection, in sanfranciso academy art university, in florida full sail, in GA theres scad. Now the move for me would be very big because im a young 23 year old male from MS.....now I do attend the university of southern miss where im studying film and also taking classes around the theater department so I can become a better director. even though I have been learing on my on ass well I stilll dont fill im gaining the experience ass I would if I was in a city with a studio.... I have been accepted to a few programs but not, sure if there a great choice because I havent been able to visit them because there so far away so if you know any info about the ones I listed above or any others that has a great hands on learning experience..... Thank you also please keep in mind I probably stay on campus becauae I cant really afford to get a place just yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland