Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 AM

329 posts, read 1,029,106 times

Advertisements

And realize how great SF is, and that it's not going to be like:

1.) the suburbs of Dallas where you can get a huge house for nothing.
2.) wherever you grew up and have your heart still stuck in; where you knew the postman as a child and he still comes by to this day. This aint' Long Island, it's California, still a wild frontier people migrate/immigrate to. There will always be influxes of new people. You or your ancestors were part of that process too, boo.
3.) whatever you expected it to be. Moving to your dream city won't automatically solve all of your problems - if you've got personal baggage, chances are you're taking them to SF with you. It's a place - places have issues too. If you invest all of your happiness into one place because you think it can "fix" up your life, you're never going to be happy anywhere you go.
4.) a Utopia. ^ Every place has its faults.
5.) some sort of bargain city. It's as simple as 101 economics: location, location, location - it's not the fault of the city, it's the fault of people like you, who all dream and want to live here. No **** it's pricey. The city lies in one of the most beautiful settings in this world. The city is one of the few cosmopolitan cities in America, it's diverse and vibrant. It's one of the few cultural meccas of this country, it's not big box retail (Best Buy, WALMART, KFC) galore. This is an urban city, not Pleasantville. If you want a bargain, Nebraska (aka PaRtYtOwN!, ya'llz!) is waiting for you and your wallet.
6.) some sort of make believe city that should never evolve (this is mostly for the SF natives). It's a city in 2010; of course it's not going to be the same as it was in 1950, 1960, 1980 or whenever the hell your ass created your now idealistic memories. Cities change, like we humans do, and you can't expect for the demographics and nature of it to stay stagnant. Get over your childhood memories, everybody has a right to live here too.
7.) Phoenix. And why you people want to compare this magnificent city to such a God awful place is beyond me. Phoenix is affordable for a reason: it's one giant cul de sac with a few interstates and strip malls thrown in thrown in the middle of no1givesa*****. If you want that, then why did you ever in your wildest dreams come to San Francisco?
8.) a Southern California-like climate. Have you ever looked at a map before? This city lies in Northern California, you're not going to find your Baywatch dreams come true here. If you want warm, sunny, and silicone, go south! California doesn't just = palm trees and fun.
9.) a perfectly divided-by-the-race social utopia. You guys who argue, "SF IS NOT DIVERSE ZOMG, ITZ ALL CHINESE AND WHITE YUPPIES". Please actually look up the demographics of the city and learn your facts (this city is very diverse, in fact), and book a flight to Finland and learn something about homogenous societies where immigrants compose of less than 8% of the nation's population. You'll never dare say SF isn't diverse again.
10.) ****ing Beverly Hills/Levittown, clean and tidy and always safe. Again, this is an URBAN CITY, with urban decay and urban renaissance all within 7 square miles.

Go take a walk, explore this city, appreciate it for what it is, and get over your whining. People are dying everyday in wars and famine, while you're living in one of the most desirable cities in this world.

And if you want to change it so much to be what it is you want, I suggest start looking into a career of Politics, get active within your community, and use all that energy you spend on here complaining to do something about it!

Last edited by destroycreate; 04-15-2010 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Delivered goods in a tractor-trailer there a few times, the SFPD was at least cool in helping turn the 80' ft beast in one of the few streets it could be done.

The surrounding cities are the ones that are more hostile to trucks.

All in all, nice city to visit and it is what it is.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:08 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
This is an awesome post. I'm going to edit this and post this in the Orange County forum for good measure.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
It's a good post, many of the points have been discussed ad nauseum before.

I doubt it registers with anyone.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
All I can do is add my pictures to this thread as I think that post deserves it:

And that's why San Francisco is such a great city. There aren't many places anywhere that are so beautiful.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 AM

111 posts, read 156,313 times
^^^^^^^But...But...But.. The People are soooo soft and there are no hot girls here!!!

Nice pics!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
My favorite was "Clean Air Days" when Public transportation was free. The wife and I would randomly hop busses, trollies, ferries and trains around the bay exploring. It may not be everyones favorite city but it is mine. If I could afford to live there I would

Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
I've come to the realization that there are people who post on the California forums merely to say hateful things. Almost all live outside the state & probably haven't even visited but for some strange reason always post on the California forum instead of their own hometown or state! I mean, how many people from San Francisco post on the Texas or Chicago forums just to write some super inflammatory statement?

There is no doubt in 99.9% of the people who visit San Francisco that it is a very special city unlike any other in the world. The beauty is just incredible & San Francisco is quirky\ eccentric & unique in a way that just draws people. Personally, I take public transportation in San Francisco as one of the very reasons for visiting. All the great street cars especially attract me in an odd way that only other train nerds can appreciate!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I've come to the realization that there are people who post on the California forums merely to say hateful things. Almost all live outside the state & probably haven't even visited but for some strange reason always post on the California forum instead of their own hometown or state! I mean, how many people from San Francisco post on the Texas or Chicago forums just to write some super inflammatory statement?

There is no doubt in 99.9% of the people who visit San Francisco that it is a very special city unlike any other in the world. The beauty is just incredible & San Francisco is quirky\ eccentric & unique in a way that just draws people. Personally, I take public transportation in San Francisco as one of the very reasons for visiting. All the great street cars especially attract me in an odd way that only other train nerds can appreciate!

How right you are! I've not posted once in the Texas forum or any other forum for that matter. The exception to this for me is Seattle but not to flame or belittle the city. I love Seattle, so that's why I post outside my home states forum. I don't get what these out of state trolls are trying to accomplish.

SF, and the Bay Area as a whole is a great place for train nerds (I used to sort of be one myself). Not just for that though, just about anything you're into you can find it there. SF is not a place where one says "it has a little bit of everything". No, it has a lot of almost anything!

Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 PM

289 posts, read 1,271,703 times
Hell yeah. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland