Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Well hes from Walnut Creek, which according to my friends who grew up in richmond and berkeley, might as well NOT be the bay area, as it more resembles other inland valleys in ca, and does not resemble silicon valley, the penninsula, the east bay ie what most people consider " the bay".

But really where you are from has nothing to do with this . Anyone who understands this era of baseball. The coprorate 2010 era of baseball, knows the A's are done in OAKLAND period.

When the raiders move to LA, and golden state warriors find new digs and san jose or sf, oakland will have nothing and will effectively be a giant gary indiana.
Not to mention that I own property and pay taxes in Marin County which is decidedly "Bay Area".

Not to mention that whenever I bring up the fact that it would be "extremely difficult" to get investors to pour money into Oakland for a stadium, the only response I get back is "If you f******* build it, they will come."

Since when has vision trumped fundamentals of which an Oakland JLS Stadium has NONE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,790 times
I'm starting to realize that City-Data is basically a bunch of yuppies yapping about things and places that they haven't experienced or don't understand.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,790 times
Says the guy from "Minneapolis".

Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
yuppies yapping
I'm going to make an animated cartoon based on this title.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Well hes from Walnut Creek, which according to my friends who grew up in richmond and berkeley, might as well NOT be the bay area, as it more resembles other inland valleys in ca, and does not resemble silicon valley, the penninsula, the east bay ie what most people consider " the bay".

But really where you are from has nothing to do with this . Anyone who understands this era of baseball. The coprorate 2010 era of baseball, knows the A's are done in OAKLAND period.

When the raiders move to LA, and golden state warriors find new digs and san jose or sf, oakland will have nothing and will effectively be a giant gary indiana.
You've already been outed as someone who has little-to-no knowledge about baseball.

Now you're admitting that your friends have had to inform you about what Walnut Creek is like? Do you live in the Bay Area? WC is 10 minutes from Oakland and full of yuppies. If you could mix Hercules, Pinole, Concord, Pleasanton, Lafayette, Dublin, Burlingame, etc, you'd get Walnut Creek. It's a middle/upper-middle class enclave with a bustling downtown, BART, and a lot of families. How that doesn't scream Bay Area is beyond me, but my real question is, if you live here in the Bay Area, how do you not know from first-hand experience?

So what exactly are you doing trolling around in this thread for?

1. Raiders won't be moving back to LA. Didn't work the first time. Al Davis, if he moves anywhere, has already said it'll be Dublin. My guess is that you don't know where that is.

2. The Warriors have no intention to move, nor should they. They continually sell out for a BAD team. Oracle was also remodeled. Ever actually went to a game? Go to Arco Arena in Sacramento - that's a team that might have to move.

3. A's might move - I hope they don't. Guess you're 1 for 3.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,309 times
I live in South Florida, so I will add a South Florida perspective to all this.

A lot of the posts sound very similar to the extensive debate that went on down here before Dade County committed to building the new stadium for Los Marlins. The debate and controversy was intense, and rumors flew that Los Marlins would scamper for Portland Ore or San Antonio.

The efforts to come up with private investment for the proposed stadium was a failure, and only the multimillion dollar ransom of Dade County kept the owners from renting u hauls. Despite the fact that Dade County is bankrupt, teachers and police are being laid off, areas are decaying, infrastructure is eroding, and people are leaving South Florida, the good politicos down here caved in to Los Marlins and built.

This will be a good decision for one year----the novelty of a new ballpark in Miami will fly for one year and they will draw. However, this has been a pathetic baseball town, and anybody who has the confidence that the new stadium will make Miami a baseball mecca in hallucinating. Yes, it is extremely hot down here, and that may prevent some people from coming to games in the summer-----but please-----Miami as a great baseball town ---yikes.

Be careful in committing huge tax dollars to a new stadium in Oakland----California, like Florida, has massive financial problems and diverting taxpayer funds to build new playpens for teams should be a low priority. I love baseball and am a big sports fan-----but city after city has caved into gun toting owners threatening to relocate. In better economic times, with budgets being more balanced, may be ok----but for the extended future of financial gloom---no.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post

A lot of the posts sound very similar to the extensive debate that went on down here before Dade County committed to building the new stadium for Los Marlins. The debate and controversy was intense, and rumors flew that Los Marlins would scamper for Portland Ore or San Antonio.

The efforts to come up with private investment for the proposed stadium was a failure, and only the multimillion dollar ransom of Dade County kept the owners from renting u hauls. Despite the fact that Dade County is bankrupt, teachers and police are being laid off, areas are decaying, infrastructure is eroding, and people are leaving South Florida, the good politicos down here caved in to Los Marlins and built.

This will be a good decision for one year----the novelty of a new ballpark in Miami will fly for one year and they will draw. However, this has been a pathetic baseball town, and anybody who has the confidence that the new stadium will make Miami a baseball mecca in hallucinating. Yes, it is extremely hot down here, and that may prevent some people from coming to games in the summer-----but please-----Miami as a great baseball town ---yikes.

Be careful in committing huge tax dollars to a new stadium in Oakland----California, like Florida, has massive financial problems and diverting taxpayer funds to build new playpens for teams should be a low priority. I love baseball and am a big sports fan-----but city after city has caved into gun toting owners threatening to relocate. In better economic times, with budgets being more balanced, may be ok----but for the extended future of financial gloom---no.
Funny how the most fiscally sound post (besides my own) comes from an impartial observer who understands basic economic concepts like "no one should invest $300,000,000 for a new stadium for a crappy baseball team no one wants to watch anyway."

Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 AM

205 posts, read 211,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post

Difference with Florida and here is it's too hot in Florida for baseball unless they build a dome. Building an outdoor stadium in Florida was stupid.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 AM

205 posts, read 211,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
The Giants have successfully sucked up any remaining out of town support Oakland could've had.

But don't take my word for it, just look at the half empty stadium the A's can't fill up.

Two words. Al Davis. Time for you to do some reading, though I doubt your type reads very much.
You have no idea what the hell you're talking about, as usual.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Let's see my argument: "The A's are a failed team. They can't even fill up the stadium they have, no one wants to see them, and they are basically a welfare team. Investors would rather burn their money in a garbage can than invest into a JLS stadium."

The Oakland Crew argument: "If we build a $300 million dollar stadium in JLS, despite any sound fiscal advice or business fundamentals, I think we can recoup any money invested and more. Please ignore that our city just went through a highly destructive riot, and that we have the highest violent crime rate in the state. Thanks!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland