Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:05 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
SJ is cleaner and safer because it's a suburb. Sacramento is a really old, grity, and an actual city. I like to live in actual cities, so I prefer some old grit and density.

Completely disagree about DT DJ vs DT Sac. DT SJ in terms of square might be larger than Sac but Sac has more density and more height. It might look empty if you zoom out of the skyline because our tall buildings are spread out but on the ground level it's much denser.

Here are some examples of what a real city looks like:

Nice dense urban grit.

And I completely disagree abouot SJ nightlife vs Sac nightlife. The grid in sac is in a class of it's own in NorCal, and certainly surpasses SJ easily. We have densly populated locations in the grid thats crazy pretty much every weekend without any events going on. On Second Saturday it's absolute insanity.

I can show you the same grit and density in East Side San Jose and the eastern sections of Downtown, like Santa Clara Street. A ride through the area is enough. Will try to post pics later.

Plus yeah, you can get your sub urban style living. But to deny SJ's downtown is better than Sac's is just that...... denial.

Nightlife? I know about Second Saturday. Sac city needs a gimmick for its nightlife, San Jose looks like that every weekend.

Suburb? Most of Sacramento is suburban living, especially the new suburban living... Tons of houses built, and one large power center everyone drives too, North Natomas anyone?

San Jose is way more important than Sac culturally too. SJ is the epicenter for the Northern CA mexican-American culture. Biggest Cinco De Mayo in NorCal is held here, not Sac. Also hugely important to the Vietnamese-American community, Asian Indian, and a host of other cultures. And if it isn't here, it is in very nearby cities in the area. We have the draw of being in the Bay Area, a huge metro, unlike tiny Sac metro.

You can't get everything SJ area has to offer in Sac. Sure Sac is pretty nice for its area, as it should be. It is the alpha dog of its small metro, and I give it credit for that.

Leave you with a shot of SJ. Other nice ones were posted above.
Plaza de Cesar Chavez Park, enjoying music in the park.

Last edited by vdy1985; 02-19-2011 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Having been born in raised in and around San Jose, I grew pretty tired of it. My wife and I moved away to Denver 5 years ago, and I must say, Denver has a much more attractive downtown area than San Jose. But San Jose has milder weather and more jobs. You compromise a little no matter where you go. I always wished they'd do more with SJ, but I don't care now. We don't plan on moving back there. It seemed nice enough growing up there, but it's quite different now. We're actually moving to Roseville, a suburb of Sacramento. I can't say I feel downtown Sacramento is as nice or inviting as downtown Denver, but it's not bad and I think we'll enjoy it. And I haven't walked around downtown Sacramento in several years, so I'm sure my memories of the city aren't all that accurate. It's probably nicer than I remember (at least I hope so). SJ hasn't changed all that much, and I can't say I'm a big fan of the city - as Majin said, it seems more like a massive suburb than a big city. But that's just my opinion.
When did you grow up in SJ, and when did you leave? San Jose changed a lot over the past decade and a half. It was an overgrown suburb of SF to start with. But has definitely carved its own character. Comparing 1996 to 2011 is like night and day, for the city. I'm sure Sacramento has experienced similar changes, if not more over the past decade. The city has changed a lot, most notably downtown, economy, people.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
San Jose is way more important than Sac culturally too. SJ is the epicenter for the Northern CA mexican-American culture. Biggest Cinco De Mayo in NorCal is held here, not Sac. Also hugely important to the Vietnamese-American community, Asian Indian, and a host of other cultures.
Oh please. Sacramento is known as the most diverse city in the US with large populations of Hispanics, Asians (all kinds), Slavics (Russians and Ukrainians) and an actually African-American community that rivals the others. You can't say that about San Jose. Blacks are almost an afterthought there.

Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME

I drove a friend from Costa Mesa around San Jose a few years ago. He hadn't ever been there before and remarked "This looks just like Orange County - I hate it.".

Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Oh please. Sacramento is known as the most diverse city in the US with large populations of Hispanics, Asians (all kinds), Slavics (Russians and Ukrainians) and an actually African-American community that rivals the others. You can't say that about San Jose. Blacks are almost an afterthought there.

Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME

I drove a friend from Costa Mesa around San Jose a few years ago. He hadn't ever been there before and remarked "This looks just like Orange County - I hate it.".
Both are diverse. But like I said, it is more important for many cultures, and if its not SJ, its a nearby city/suburb.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,344 times
Ludachris, I was in Dt. Denver last summer, Other than being a one street downtown(16th St.) and Lower Downtown, Dt. Denver resembles alot like Oakland before Mayor Jerry Bown. San Jose has the best downtown IMO! Alot has changed in the last 5 years with these highrise condos gone up. Now, there's a safeway at Tower 88 on San Fernando/Second St. which Denver would love to have in its downtown. How about that Target on Coleman in downtown? Denver yearns for that, too.

As for Sacramento, Downtown Denver creams it. Don't even think about comparing it with Dt. San Jose, except when you go on a time machine back to 1987.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 AM

148 posts, read 571,756 times
Since when is Coleman considered downtown? I don't think people come downtown to go to Safeway durf.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Huh,
Quote:
SJ is the epicenter for the Northern CA mexican-American culture. Biggest Cinco De Mayo in NorCal is held here, not Sac
Cinco De Mayo is a North American celebration, it ain't much for Mexico or Mexicans. A lot of Americans think it is Mexican independence day, but it ain't.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,344 times
Evergreen, the redevelopment agency, city of San Jose and downtown association includes all the areas up to Taylor St. and West to the rail track of Caltrain. Nope, mostly downtowners uses Safeway which Downtowners of Denver would love to have. San Jose is ahead!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 AM

148 posts, read 571,756 times
Sorry Coleman isn't even close to downtown. Stop making stuff up.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Huh,

Cinco De Mayo is a North American celebration, it ain't much for Mexico or Mexicans. A lot of Americans think it is Mexican independence day, but it ain't.
That's why I said Mexican-American culture. Check out SJ on Cinco De Mayo and you will see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose