Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:43 PM

7 posts, read 21,019 times

Advertisements

got a job offer at a hospital in san jose and really excited about moving but ever since we've told people about it, all we get are groans and discouragement. why???? they tell us that it's really expensive and economy is down the toilet and practically any reason that is bad. im thinking that they just watch too much news and are just sprouting off information they hear. they have never lived in san jose or anywhere in california for that matter so i really dont think they have any credibility. anyway, just wanted your honest opinion about san jose.

i was offered a good position as an ICU nurse and my pay is pretty good. i dont have a lot of credit card bills, the only major bill ive got is my student loan. it'll be my husband, son, and i and we're pretty frugal---and not big spenders at all. think we'll make it?

thank you much.

excited to be a part of this forum. officially going to be living there as of 4/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
The economy is not down the toilet. Yes it is expensive to live in the area, as expensive as New York City. With a child you will want to consider schools. Who will care for him while you are at work? Does your employer have a child care facility you can utilize? You will have the usual working mom logistics.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The economy is not down the toilet. Yes it is expensive to live in the area, as expensive as New York City. With a child you will want to consider schools. Who will care for him while you are at work? Does your employer have a child care facility you can utilize? You will have the usual working mom logistics.

my husband and i have decided that he's going to stay home and care for our 19-month old--that way it'll give me allowance to work extra days at the hosp. in case our budget is tight. also it'll allow us all free time together where we wont have to coordinate our days off.

we've got an apt waiting for us in the almaden valley neighborhood. is that a good area? thanks for your reply.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:09 PM

207 posts, read 507,659 times
Almaden Valley is a great place to be. You will be in a safe neighborhood and the school district is excellent. I'm so excited for you and your family. There is so much to do in the Bay Area, you'll be surrounded by so many cities to explore, and all within an hour drive. Also, you will be arriving just in time for the art & wine festivals so be sure to look up the Sunnyvale, San Jose and Mt. View ones. Also don't miss the Gilroy Garlic Festival and the San Jose Jazz Festival. They are fun, especially the Sunnyvale Art & Wine festival. I'm sure a lot of people have told you their grim facts about living in California...sure the economy is down and it's expensive, but there are so many great things about being in California of which you will soon discover. I think some of that negative **** talk stems from jealousy so take it with a grain of salt and don't let them discourage you. You have a great paying job waiting and an apartment to rent in one of the better neighborhoods so forge ahead, chin up and take the leap! Good luck to you btw, you will be living by Almaden Lake, it's a nice park with a great play structure & water play area...they have this cool dragon that spits out water for those hot days, your 19 month will love it!...I know because it's where I'm at
I'm curious to know where you're moving from, are you from out of state?

Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsrus View Post
my husband and i have decided that he's going to stay home and care for our 19-month old--that way it'll give me allowance to work extra days at the hosp. in case our budget is tight. also it'll allow us all free time together where we wont have to coordinate our days off.

we've got an apt waiting for us in the almaden valley neighborhood. is that a good area? thanks for your reply.
That is wonderful. It isn't uncomon for fathers to step back a bit when the mom has a demanding job. Those early years are precious.

Best wishes to all of you.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,570,303 times
Cool- I am moving to Santa Clara as well this month so love me some garlic in Gilroy and the beaches in Santa Cruz. I am from San Diego so looking for a good place to live in the area. My job is in Santa Clara and I am a single guy in my late 30's- whats a good place for a single bachelor guy to live in Silicon Valley? I am looking to rent a 2 bedroom townhome with garage.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
The economy here is better than other places, but it really is expensive - hope you did your research there and negotiated your pay as best as possible accordingly.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
Almaden Valley is a great place to be. You will be in a safe neighborhood and the school district is excellent. I'm so excited for you and your family. There is so much to do in the Bay Area, you'll be surrounded by so many cities to explore, and all within an hour drive. Also, you will be arriving just in time for the art & wine festivals so be sure to look up the Sunnyvale, San Jose and Mt. View ones. Also don't miss the Gilroy Garlic Festival and the San Jose Jazz Festival. They are fun, especially the Sunnyvale Art & Wine festival. I'm sure a lot of people have told you their grim facts about living in California...sure the economy is down and it's expensive, but there are so many great things about being in California of which you will soon discover. I think some of that negative **** talk stems from jealousy so take it with a grain of salt and don't let them discourage you. You have a great paying job waiting and an apartment to rent in one of the better neighborhoods so forge ahead, chin up and take the leap! Good luck to you btw, you will be living by Almaden Lake, it's a nice park with a great play structure & water play area...they have this cool dragon that spits out water for those hot days, your 19 month will love it!...I know because it's where I'm at
I'm curious to know where you're moving from, are you from out of state?

thanks very much for your reply and the great and very useful info you've given ) we cant wait to sightsee. ive got a 3 day workweek my first week since it's orientation so we're definitely going to be using the days off our advantage because it's go go go after that at work. and yes we are from out of state---tx, to be specific. we spent our anniversary in san francisco last year and we really enjoyed it---there's just so many things to do ) thanks again for your reply.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
That is wonderful. It isn't uncomon for fathers to step back a bit when the mom has a demanding job. Those early years are precious.

Best wishes to all of you.

thanks very much. my husband really appreciates these words

Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM

207 posts, read 507,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Cool- I am moving to Santa Clara as well this month so love me some garlic in Gilroy and the beaches in Santa Cruz. I am from San Diego so looking for a good place to live in the area. My job is in Santa Clara and I am a single guy in my late 30's- whats a good place for a single bachelor guy to live in Silicon Valley? I am looking to rent a 2 bedroom townhome with garage.
Renting by Santana Row would be a great option for you. Just stay away from the Burbank area...think West San Jose or Santa Clara. The cool thing about being walking distance to Santana Row is that you can go hang out and walk home when the nights over...that way you don't have to worry about driving after a few drinks. I've seen people pulling out of the Row after a night of drinking only to be pulled over right as they got out of the parking lot by a waiting cop. In the Spring and Summer it will be so nice out you can walk home at night. Being in that area is convenient since you work in Santa Clara. You won't have to be stuck in traffic, etc. At Santana Row on the weekends during the day they have free live music, oftentimes 2 bands are playing. There's farmers market on Sundays...thursdays there was free movies in the evening right at the grass in front of Maggiano's Italian restaurant. Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights there's dancing & music at Straits, Sino, Blowfish, V bar, Rosie McCanns (at Rosie's you have to pay $10 to get in)...so much to do enjoy!

Last edited by vesperbelle; 03-20-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose