Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM

18 posts, read 109,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
You should be doing the happy dance now. You are going to LOVE it! Just the weather alone is a reason to be happy. Earthquakes are rare, very rare! Check craiglist.com for rental listings. There are lots to do in the bay area, not only in San Jose...everything is within reach, from amazing nature spots to great city hang-outs. Enjoy!
I'm sure I will. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,856,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingwest236 View Post
Another question: Would any of you take San Francisco over San Jose? Thanks again for the great responsds.
Because one prefers SF over SJ. (The threads about this in C-D are legion)

Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM

4,327 posts, read 6,295,712 times
Quote:
Another question: Would any of you take San Francisco over San Jose? Thanks again for the great responsds.
When I was a single guy, I would've taken SF over SJ any day (I actually lived up in the city for 4 years). I thought it was much better for the dating scene. I also enjoyed all the trendy places to hang out. However, when I got into my 30s, got married and ended up working in the valley, all the things I really enjoyed about the city became more of a hassle. It all depends upon what stage of life you are in.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,855,764 times
Quote:
I sure would.
I asked you "why San Jose" because it was just my sense that you haven't been to the area before?
I haven't read all of your posts so perhaps you answered that question.
I am not a fan of San Jose but that's just me.
It's a sprawling western city but without what i want in city living.
San Francisco on the other hand is a city city.
It will be much more familiar to you as an easterner.
People used to say that San Francisco is the Boston of the west.
I don't think that's so true but i can understand that perception.
To me, it's the most beautiful city in the country.
If you haven't been to California, i suggest that you take a trip out here and have a direct experience of San Francisco and San Jose and see how you feel about the two places.
If you can afford to live in S.F., you may prefer it if you want city living.

Last edited by jaijai; 01-30-2012 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 AM

18 posts, read 109,103 times
Thanks, I began to realize that maybe San Fran was better. Also I haven't visited the area yet.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 AM

60 posts, read 123,487 times
Quote:
Well I'm in the computer science field and I know many large technology corporations are in the San Jose/South Bay area. Also, I want to live in a big city, but San Francisco seems too crowded and expensive.
The only "city" in the bay area is SF. You will be so disappointed with SJ if city life is what you are looking for.

I say if you have the money, go for SF. If you work in the valley, there are many nice towns in the peninsula that puts you closer to SF.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,276,562 times
SJ is a sprawling suburb. SF is a dense city. However, day to day living is easier in a suburb than a city. And SJ is still a lot cheaper than SF. Come visit and check them out -- they are like different worlds.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,792,395 times
Quote:
Yes, if my job wasn't 40 miles from San Francisco.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:15 PM

96 posts, read 300,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
SJ is a sprawling suburb. SF is a dense city. However, day to day living is easier in a suburb than a city. And SJ is still a lot cheaper than SF. Come visit and check them out -- they are like different worlds.
Agreed, except that San Jose is not that much cheaper than SF. Your average decent San Jose 1 bedroom is probably $1,700 per month now, where in SF it's more like $2,000, but you can probably lose the car in SF.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,792,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 511pf View Post
Agreed, except that San Jose is not that much cheaper than SF. Your average decent San Jose 1 bedroom is probably $1,700 per month now, where in SF it's more like $2,000, but you can probably lose the car in SF.
might not be that much cheaper but one thing to realize is that the quality of the apartments is substantially poorer in San Francisco than San Jose, for the same or similar money. In San Francisco unless you shell out big bucks for new or renovated place, you're getting a dilapidated eyesore compared to what you get in Silicon Valley.

Don't get me wrong. I like San Francisco and wouldn't mind living there, but the quality of the apartments is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose