Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times

Advertisements

Update: they did completely revamp the 85/Almaden interchange. The lights seem to be better synchronized for getting onto Almaden, but the extra light cycle at the Wal-Mart has made going southbound on Almaden in the evening, between Branham and 85, a real time-waster. And the northbound 85 ramp to Almaden is backing up onto the freeway even more frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:59 AM

402 posts, read 538,780 times
Folks, my family is thinking about buying a house near the La Colina park in southern part of Blossom Valley (not far from Santa Teresa blvd and Cottle road intersection). Very nice area in general. Friendly neighbours, beautiful view, and good real estate prices.

Only one concern is a traffic. Could you tell me please about particular time period (hours from... and until...) when traffic from Blossom Valley to North Santa Clara and Cupertino is the worst, and when it is much better, morning and evening? We plan to use 85 to drive to Cupertino office, and 87 (then 101?) to drive to North Santa Clara office. Our working hours are rather flexible, but I still want to be sure that we are making a right choice buying house here.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:31 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
Folks, my family is thinking about buying a house near the La Colina park in southern part of Blossom Valley (not far from Santa Teresa blvd and Cottle road intersection). Very nice area in general. Friendly neighbours, beautiful view, and good real estate prices.

Only one concern is a traffic. Could you tell me please about particular time period (hours from... and until...) when traffic from Blossom Valley to North Santa Clara and Cupertino is the worst, and when it is much better, morning and evening? We plan to use 85 to drive to Cupertino office, and 87 (then 101?) to drive to North Santa Clara office. Our working hours are rather flexible, but I still want to be sure that we are making a right choice buying house here.
Traffic backup will start around 7 and will last until 10. Both routes will take you an hour.

There's just no other way around it. Until employers start doing the sensible thing by locating offices where the majority of workers live (ie San Jose), then you will always have to deal with traffic problems no matter where you live.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:51 PM

27 posts, read 74,762 times
Quote:

I lived near La Colina for 24 years and one of the biggest reasons I left the neighborhood was because of how long it took to get anywhere. Like Bobby said, traffic starts around 7 and ends at 10ish, but the traffic is at its worst from 8-9:30. It's unpredictable as well. Sometimes I could get from my house to Saratoga in a half hour, other days it would take me over an hour. Traffic is reasonable on 85 until around Branham or so, and then it completely stops thanks to the 17 interchange a few miles up the road.

It's a nice neighborhood but it's so far to the south that it will take forever to get anywhere. It's a shame light rail doesn't run the length of 85 because that would help a lot with the traffic congestion.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:30 PM

402 posts, read 538,780 times
Thank you guys for a quick reply!
For now, I have a possibility to start my working day around 11:00AM. Of course sometimes I should arrive earlier for a meeting, etc, but in general I hope to avoid morning traffic as much as possibly, and do not leave home until 9:30AM. Things can change with getting a new job someday...

What about particular evening rush hours in that area?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:09 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times
To be fair to the engineers, the freeway was laid out a looooooong time ago, finished a long time after that. The shopping center used to be much smaller. The costco wasn't always there. The giant building used to be an Emporium. But, with all the developments along Almaden between Blossom Hill and Branham in the last couple decades--the Costco, the re-vamping of Almaden Plaza, the Best Buy, the Bass Pro Shop, and now the WalMart--there's no way infrastructure designed for 1980s loads, even with updates, can keep up.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaningfizz View Post
It's a nice neighborhood but it's so far to the south that it will take forever to get anywhere. It's a shame light rail doesn't run the length of 85 because that would help a lot with the traffic congestion.
LRT was originally proposed for the full length of 85, thus the extra-wide median, but costs trimmed the LRT out of the equation. For better or worse, VTA plans to put HOT lanes the full length of 85. That'll help for a week.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:

You'll, basically, be going with traffic if you travel to either during morning rush. 85 takes all the Apple and Mountain View traffic. 87 and 101 takes all the DTSJ, North SJ, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and more Mountain View traffic.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
LRT was originally proposed for the full length of 85, thus the extra-wide median, but costs trimmed the LRT out of the equation. For better or worse, VTA plans to put HOT lanes the full length of 85. That'll help for a week.
It would be great if they would put in express/toll lanes!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Thank you guys for a quick reply!
For now, I have a possibility to start my working day around 11:00AM. Of course sometimes I should arrive earlier for a meeting, etc, but in general I hope to avoid morning traffic as much as possibly, and do not leave home until 9:30AM. Things can change with getting a new job someday...

What about particular evening rush hours in that area?
If you wait until after 7PM to leave you should be ok. Things start to clear up at 7PM and are reasonably clear by 7:30PM in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose