Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:19 PM

43 posts, read 122,328 times

Advertisements

I'm really interested in moving to Blossom Valley area, near 85 and Almaden Expressway.

Will I like it? Is it safe and quiet? Is there lots to do? What kind of people/families live there?

Help! I'd love any tips, info, feedback or stories you have to tell about your experience there. It will be greatly appreciated and very valuable in making a good decision.

I am a caucasian female, 45 years old. I absolutely love diversity and exposure to various cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 03:21 PM

110 posts, read 269,927 times
I live near 85 and Cottle so not far away and I love it here, there are loads of good shops, a good mall and cinema and tons of places to eat. There are also a lot of places to go walking etc and you are only 35-40 mins from the beaches

The area seems very safe to me, I dont go out drinking late etc so cant comment after midnight but I am very happy here

Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 PM

Default Excellent info....

Wow, thanks! I forgot to mention one other concern: How about traffic? Do you have a hard time getting on and off 85 at commute hours? I work in Saratoga.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:01 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Most of Blossom Valley is reasonably quiet and safe. I do think that crime and overall "ghetto-ness" is on the rise compared to how the area was when I was a kid. As a teenager almost all my friends lived in the area and it seemed safer and nicer to me back then. There tends to be slightly more gang presence and things that come with it like graffiti, etc. As far as San Jose neighborhoods go, it's almost entirely middle class with some slightly rough pockets with gang activity. I wouldn't consider the area to be unsafe and is still mostly a family-oriented area. It's not exactly Maybury though.

I used to own a condo off Blossom Hill Rd./Beswick Ave. (same area as the other poster) which is basically the eastern edge of what's considered Blossom Valley. There were quite a few car break-ins and vandalism issues in the area over the five years I lived there. I'd recommend living further west and south of there, since it tends to get nicer when you head in the direction of Santa Teresa or toward Almaden Valley and Cambrian Park.

I wouldn't really say there's a lot to do in the area. There are plenty of shopping and dining options along Blossom Hill Rd. though. It's a pretty typical suburban San Jose area, so it's mostly geared toward family living. The area is close to lots of parks in San Jose and surrounding cities for hiking/biking (Almaden Quicksilver Park, Los Alamitos Creek Trail, Vasona Park/Los Gatos Creek Trail, Coyote Creek Trail, etc.).

Traffic can be heavy in the area, especially along Blossom Hill Rd and other major thoroughfares. You'd be heading in the commute direction toward Saratoga on hwy 85. Distance-wise it's not that far from Blossom Valley, but traffic on hwy 85 often slows to a crawl during commute areas along that stretch.

Given the chance, I'd live in the area again. Overall, I was happy living there.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
I live in the same target area as you're looking at, near Almaden and Branham. I think it's overall the best neighborhood I've ever lived in. Lots of established families and nice folks. Getting to the freeways is not a problem; I usually take Almaden Expressway up towards 87, but once you get used to the bizarre design of the 85/Almaden interchange, it works all right too, especially since you're going opposite the heavy Almaden Valley crunch. If I'm going to Morgan Hill, I take Capitol to the 87 south onramp.

The traffic patterns will change once they get the Wal-Mart in place behind the Best Buy, and there has been a lot of road work lately related to that. They're expanding the expressway.

It is not an especially diverse area. In fact, it's rather whitewashed. Evergreen was better for diversity, except that hardly any Caucasians live on that side of town.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM

Hi Sonorrat, I've seen your thoughtful posts elsewhere in the forum. I was hoping you'd reply since you seem to be knowledgable and well-spoken. Thanks for your input. Looks like we're going to be neighbors!

I heard there was something new going in but didn't know it was a Wal-Mart. I'm not a fan, but will probably end up shopping there anyway.

Important Question: WILL I be going opposite the Almaden Valley crunch? I work in Saratoga so I'd be getting ON 85 at Almaden Expwy. in the morning, and OFF 85 at Almaden Expwy. in the evening.

Will that be a nightmare?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Is Almaden Expressway at 85 considered Blossom Valley? I thought that was still considered Almaden Valley. Maybe not. Commuting from there to Saratoga will put you square in the rush hour from Almaden into Silicon Valley. Believe me I know, I commuted to various points around the peninsula for over 20 years from Almaden.

To go to Saratoga you do have other choices than 85/280. For example you could take Blossom Hill to Highway 9 and go into Saratoga that way. I often took secondary roads like that to break up the monotony. You don't really save much time, but it's more scenic and better than looking at tail lights the whole way. Honestly though, the commute really won't be that bad. You're only going a short ways on 85. Put on some nice tunes or NPR, relax, and 30 minutes later you're where you need to be.

The reason I ended up in Almaden is because you get a whole lot more for your money than further up the peninsula. Plus the area I bought into is just beyond the urban sprawl and you still have a semblance of being out in the country. It's quieter and there's no gang activity or other riff-raff here. I see no evidence of gang activity or other unsavory types in the 85/Almaden Expressway area either mind you. It isn't until you get out towards the Monterrey Highway where you start seeing that sort of thing.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Is Almaden Expressway at 85 considered Blossom Valley? I thought that was still considered Almaden Valley. Maybe not. Commuting from there to Saratoga will put you square in the rush hour from Almaden into Silicon Valley. Believe me I know, I commuted to various points around the peninsula for over 20 years from Almaden.

To go to Saratoga you do have other choices than 85/280. For example you could take Blossom Hill to Highway 9 and go into Saratoga that way. I often took secondary roads like that to break up the monotony. You don't really save much time, but it's more scenic and better than looking at tail lights the whole way. Honestly though, the commute really won't be that bad. You're only going a short ways on 85. Put on some nice tunes or NPR, relax, and 30 minutes later you're where you need to be.

The reason I ended up in Almaden is because you get a whole lot more for your money than further up the peninsula. Plus the area I bought into is just beyond the urban sprawl and you still have a semblance of being out in the country. It's quieter and there's no gang activity or other riff-raff here. I see no evidence of gang activity or other unsavory types in the 85/Almaden Expressway area either mind you. It isn't until you get out towards the Monterrey Highway where you start seeing that sort of thing.
85 will be heavy starting around, depending on the time of morning, Bascom Ave or Saratoga Ave. Almaden Expressway itself isn't an issue as the heaviest flow of traffic is northbound coming from the Almaden Valley, and the timing lights are shorter if you're coming that way too.

Getting off of 85 at Almaden can be a hassle. At times, it backs up onto the freeway, but most people are usually crowding into the right lanes to get into the shopping center or to go southbound on Almaden. Steer to the left and you'll have less of an issue.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM

261 posts, read 497,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracieanna View Post
I'm really interested in moving to Blossom Valley area, near 85 and Almaden Expressway.

Will I like it? Is it safe and quiet? Is there lots to do? What kind of people/families live there?

Help! I'd love any tips, info, feedback or stories you have to tell about your experience there. It will be greatly appreciated and very valuable in making a good decision.

I am a caucasian female, 45 years old. I absolutely love diversity and exposure to various cultures.
Has anyone noticed all most of us want is a safe place with a community spirit in which to live in a place that has a healthy IT industry. I'm right there behind you... is this too much to ask for?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Getting off of 85 at Almaden can be a hassle. At times, it backs up onto the freeway, but most people are usually crowding into the right lanes to get into the shopping center or to go southbound on Almaden. Steer to the left and you'll have less of an issue.
Oh yeah, I always avoid the 85/Almaden Expressway exit at rush hour. It's a major cluster-youknowwhat. I take the Camden Ave exit instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose