Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
No I haven't. Is it equallly as arduous?
Most of the stretch over the mountains is narrow and winding with narrow shoulders and no center dividers and definitely shouldn't be driven fast (although if i'm remembering correctly the speed limit is 55 .... way too fast for that road!).
It's the most direct route from Gilroy to Watsonville but it doesn't make sense as a route from San Jose to Santa Cruz.
And it can be trafficy.
And also, 101 can be a real drag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM

53 posts, read 90,968 times
Anyways I'm not too concerned about the drive. If I lived in San Jose I would probably visit Santa Cruz once or twice a month or if I lived In Santa Cruz I would probably visit San Jose once or twice a month. I wouldn't live that far from my work and do that kind of commute everyday. Thats what I got stuck doing here. Driving 45 minutes each way to work. And in the winter with ice and snow storms it is dangerous and not fun at all. But back to my original thread. I do wanna move out west one day. Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento, Santa Rosa. I would like to visit all those cities and areas (I know I'm dreaming). I would like to see which fits best for me. I would be willing to hop around a little bit too. By living in any one of those areas I would be closer to most of the others than I am now. So I could
start out at one and it would be easier to explore the others than from here (3000 miles away), and if I wanted to move around I could. Im just saying that wherever I start doesn't have to be permanent. Although all of those areas are interesting to me I tend to gravitate towards the bay area and surroundings. So any more advice or opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks again. Just sitting here coping with the rain. It doesn't stop here from may to october like it does there. Its 12 months.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy from MA View Post
I do wanna move out west one day. Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento, Santa Rosa. I would like to visit all those cities and areas (I know I'm dreaming). I would like to see which fits best for me. <snip ...> Although all of those areas are interesting to me I tend to gravitate towards the bay area and surroundings.
Just my two cents, I've lived in Denver/Colorado, Washington D.C. area, Austin TX, Honolulu, NYC .... and the Bay Area is my favorite. (NYC a close second).

Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Just my two cents, I've lived in Denver/Colorado, Washington D.C. area, Austin TX, Honolulu, NYC .... and the Bay Area is my favorite. (NYC a close second).
Wow, thank you. When I was in the bay area I fell in love with it. I have not yet been to denver or those other places. NYC is great but the weather is ****ty. My
mom is from NYC.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy from MA View Post
Wow, thank you. When I was in the bay area I fell in love with it.
There's so much to do out here and the mild weather makes it so pleasant.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
There's so much to do out here and the mild weather makes it so pleasant.
Oh yeah!!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM

33 posts, read 133,776 times
Country Boy, if you liked Oakland, you might consider the Lake Merritt area. It's a decent area of Oakland with lots of fun things going on, a relatively young crowd of different cultures, and rental prices that aren't too bad (it's still the Bay Area so don't expect cheap). There's a nearby BART station to get you into the city, too. The "Oakland sucks/Oakland's great" debate has been done to death here on CityData so I'm not going to perpetuate it in this thread. I'll just encourage you to do your own research, look at the crime stats (Crimemapping is a great one), and use Citydata and Yelp to talk to several people who live in Oakland.

Yes, you can move to coastal California if you plan carefully and accept that you may have to make sacrifices to get where you want to be. Lots of people told me it wasn't possible, that I'd have to be crazy to move out here where the cost of living is so high. I visited many times, did a lot of research, and talked to people who lived where I wanted to be. I developed a two-year plan of saving money and boosting my career skills. And here I am doing great. It can be done with enough patience.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG00 View Post
The "Oakland sucks/Oakland's great" debate has been done to death here on CityData
Yes it has. Nice to see that acknowledged.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 AM

160 posts, read 454,583 times
Union Square area of Oakland, for three reasons; 1) super cool, trendy coffee shops, restaurants, nightlife, on Bart line to SF or ??, 3) Great cap rates on income property within 20 miles of home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose