Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 20,858 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Los Banos for fifteen years - originally from the Bay Area. Everyone who has posted their thoughts on Los Banos in this thread is correct in some way or another (with the exception of the booming real estate market - which I noticed was written after the market had taken a nose dive - so what was that about?). Here is my detailed overview of the community, some good, some bad:

Real Estate: The cost of homes has dropped a great deal. Good for buyers - very bad for anyone who purchased a home here in the last couple of years. And, we most likely have not seen the bottom yet (as of 10/2007). This dramatic price drop is due to the glut of properties available, many bank owned. There are foreclosures popping up in even the nicest neighborhoods. Once again, good for buyers, but bad for the rest of us - and not good for our neighborhoods, especially when there are vacant houses sitting for months on end. Currently, one can find a 2000+ sq. ft. home in the mid 300Ks, and there are a number of homes available 200Ks!

Schools: The schools are crowded, especially the one High School. This school district is not known to be one of the better in the state. There are a couple of private schools going up through the 8th grade. For a private High School one has to travel approximately 45 minutes (give or take) to Merced, Turlock, Gilroy, or Modesto. (My child is of High School age and has never attended a public school in Los Banos) The Los Banos branch of the Merced Junior College just opened at it's new location and it is a shining star in Los Banos.

Crime: Crime is pretty minimal here compared to most other places. There certainly isn't a great deal of violent crime. The most serious crime related issue in Los Banos, IMO, is gangs. It's so bad that it carries over into what colors kids are allowed to wear at school - and it doesn't stop at red and blue! People seem to skirt around this issue - not just in this community. But, I can honestly say there are few areas in which I would be afraid to walk, unlike most other cities. I really don't worry much about crime here, just follow common sense - don't leave your handbag in the car, etc...

Activities: Unless your child's involved in sports, there is not a lot to do here. We do have an Arts Council which holds some quality concerts over the course of the season (the location is the old Catholic Church, which tells you something about us lacking a proper venue for performances). There are some theatrical activities for young people, but if they (or adults) want to participate in theater one needs to go to Merced. There are two multiplex theaters which show mainstream movies, absolutely no foreign or indy films in Los Banos. Only one video rental (Hollywood). Also, there's no bowling alley, miniature golf, etc... The city is going to be building a community center by where the new Rail Trail (a walking/bike path) intersects 6th/Main St. at the Henry Miller Plaza. It doesn't look as though it will be much more than some large multi-purpose type rooms and maybe a gym facility, no theater. The city has hosted several outdoor movie nights during the summer at the plaza,and this summer, being Los Banos' centennial, there have been several activities in celebration. This summer, we've also had a small farmer's market on Saturday mornings at the plaza with some good produce. The annual May Day Fair (now called Merced County Spring Fair) is the biggest event in town. There is also a street fair, Christmas Parade. Mother's Day in the Park, and several other similar type events. Football games at the High School are a big deal. There is a small library. The nearby San Luis Reservoir offers fishing, boating, windsurfing and camping. There are several nearby wildlife areas. Los Banos is 4 hours to L.A.,(Disneyland is a breeze from Los Banos! Just over 4 hours door to door) 2 hours to Yosemite, 2 hours to S.F., an hour and a half to Monterey.

Business/Shopping: Don't plan on being able to work in town and afford a home unless you're a professional (e.g. doctor). Most jobs are low end. Stores include several super markets (two which are now Hispanic owned & oriented) and several smaller Hispanic markets. There is a Walmart, Kmart, a small Pennys, a Lowes and Home Depot (yes! that's insanity!) lots of fast food, Chilli's, Starbucks, some locally owned businesses, restaurants (a lot of Mexican food). The nearest real mall is in Merced, and, IMO, it's not all that hot, neither is Modesto's really. Fortunately shopping on the Internet is great now, unlike when I first moved here!

Traffic/Commute: If you're planning on commuting try it out first (and don't think those off commute hour drives you made visiting town are the real deal. The commute into Silicon Valley is long and is not for the faint of heart. Many people try it for a year or so and can't take it. Others adapt quite well, and have managed it for many years. It definitely depends on the individual. Also, there are many major accidents on the pass. When we first moved here, there was still a sign down on the Gilroy side stating the number of fatalities. Yes, this is not the old two-lane pass of twenty years ago, but it is still a road to travel with caution! Friday afternoons coming over the Pacheco Pass are the worst, in fact even in town, as Pacheco Blvd (Hwy 152) runs right through town, it is very difficult to get around on. Three day weekends are even worse! This is because Hwy 152 is a major East to West artery in CA, going 101, I5 and 99. There is supposed to be a bypass built around town to divert the non-city traffic away from the center, but DO NOT believe that this will be accomplished anytime soon - I would wager a minimum of 8 years. Also be wary of anyone who talks about the high speed rail that's supposed to go from So. CA, through the valley and over Pacheco Pass. Not only is that light years away, but there's a battle between San Jose and San Francisco as to which pass, Pacheco or Altamont, this system will go over should it ever come to fruition. There is a plan to make a business loop around town on existing roads, which should help with some traffic, but most of us locals who use those roads currently will probably find the business loop to cause congestion on the only ways we can bypass the bad traffic.

Conclusion: Looking over what I've written, Los Banos might not be sounding all that hot to you right now (oh wait - did I mention the summer temperatures?!LOL), but really that's not the whole story. Los Banos has a small town feel you just don't get in the immediate suburbs of larger cities. You can get as involved as you want, and the people are wonderful! I know my bank tellers, grocery store clerks, etc..., I always run into people I know when I go out. I have never lived anywhere else with the sense of community that I feel here. For all that it's worth, and despite any inconveniences, I'm happy to call Los Banos home!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 59,701 times
If you have children , do not try to make LB your home. from what I hear, and see the schools are BAD. There is a gang problem. most areas are NOT nice. tho the southwest part of town is nice. It is hotter than you know what a couple months out of the year.
Pacheco pass is Dangerous, fog, BAD inconsiderate drivers do not mix. Right outside of LB there is a major truck stop, so yes there are bad accidents often.

If you have no children, and do have a swimming pool, and live in the southwest area, it can be nice. other than that, I would pick Colorado for sure over LB if I were you.

I have lived in CA my whole life, and work here, so I can't move to Colorado. don't pick LB over that. you will regret it for sure. Unless your kids plan on joining a gang, and yo don't care, I mean seriously, there is very little for kids to do, and there IS a gang problem. Many areas are not safe and do not feel safe.

LC

Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Don't. People who do that commute are slaves to the workday. They drive and drive and drive, but do they ever live? I won't even get into the environmental aspects of it. Those should be obvious.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
Our warehouse manager lived in Los Banos and commuted to San Jose. He would have lived closer, except that he also had a job managing a warehouse in Fresno! Now both jobs have been taken from him. I feel bad for the poor guy, hope he can find something else.

But our new manager commutes to San Jose from Roseville. Imagine how far my jaw dropped when he told me that. And he has a wife and kids, too..

Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,646 times
I don't know why anyone would commute to S.J. from Los Banos. Slave to the car IMO.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 PM

68 posts, read 351,887 times
Here is an example of what you'll find in Los Banos:

"Person A" lived in the SF bay area (SF-SJ) 10-20 years ago. He/She bought a house for 90-300k dollars.

"Person A" saw his/her house double or triple in value within 5-10 years of living of living there, so they sold and moved south to Gilroy.

"Person A" lived in Gilroy for a few years, and saw the same "equity" result as the bay area. So, they sold!

"Person A" packed his/her stuff yet again and moved east to Los Banos, where they are now stuck.

Unable to leave their job in the south bay, but not wanting to compromise on housing, "Person A" now commutes an easy 1-2 hours each way, on a lousy two lane high-way, in congested traffic with persons B-Z who had the same brilliant idea.

That, in a nut shell, is Los "the bathroom" Banos and the people who reside there...

Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 29,647 times
if i had the money i wouldnt make lb my official hometown its pretty big now and its got plenty of store if u like to shop but if u wanna have fun like to clubs or the strips u gotta travel outside lb to merced, modesto, san jose.
the traffic is always ****in packed, the cops are always on ur ass if ur known, plenty of undercovers everywhere, i wont lie its OK to live in LB but u might have a problem with crime because crime lives in every inch on the town, i think its more on you, if you go lookin for it, your goin to get it.
oh yeah and plenty of dumb muther****ers in lb.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 59,701 times
I find that the employees' at the local stores a very nice. It's a much slower pace than the part of CA that I am from- The West Coast is Highly desireable, but Packed with people and car. And the $$$ of Real Estate is way out of control. People are ruder here than in LB. and always in a hurry. and very rude drivers. We have gangs in SC also.

I am enjoying the Space, and the beautiful home we are buying. I spend most of my time there or at the local used/new bookstore downtown LB.

It suits me because I am kind of 'older'. If I was a kid, I'd be bored out of my mind.

I saw the SPCA there, and I tell you what I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. What a Pit that is. and that was on a 'cool' day, 75. They definitely need a nicer facility for them.

Well that' s my rant for now.

Happy Holidays to all,

Lexiecat

Old 12-21-2008, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 26,705 times
Don't move there, In fact, I wish everyone that moved there for the big housing rush from the bay area would leave. A lot are already because they are losing their $500,000 homes that they could not afford but helped jack up there prices. In 2000, houses were affordable for the people that were born and lived there, When the herd came over the hill, it messed this town up. It clogged our streets, schools, which raised property taxes and brought the gang element into this town. Grant it, there is not much for the young kids to do and that is a problem that needs to be solved. We used to have a bowling alley and a skating rink but past city officials thought making money and allowing these developers to come in and mess up the town were more important. So I say don't move here and I say move back to those that moved here in the first place and don't support our town. Yes, we don't have everything here, no wild night clubs for the party groups but that is the price you pay when you want to live in a smaller town. The schools got screwed up by becoming overcrowded, we did have recognized schools before all this happen. So I say leave and don't come, I want to go back to the time when cruising main was all the trouble that teens got into, not ending up at a party where kids get shot. Commuters brought this into our town because while you were working over the hill and not getting home until 9 or 10 at night, your kids were running the streets. And when you were home, you were too tired to do anything with them. Those who were born here or lived here for years will know what I am talking about. Don't get offended, it's nothing personal but I want to raise my children in the kind of town I was raised in. Where you knew and waved to the person in the car beside you. Los Banos was a nice little town and I hope it will be again.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 PM

58 posts, read 274,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosBanosGrown View Post
Don't move there, In fact, I wish everyone that moved there for the big housing rush from the bay area would leave.
I agree that one should not moved there but for different reasons. America is on the brink of economic collapse and it is imperative that people find a location where they can live self-sufficiently by growing food, raising animals, getting heat by wood stove, electricity by solar power, etc. Those who continue to rely on corporations for food and utilities are going to be hurting. And even if one was to get in to a position to live self-sufficiently in a populated community, most people there won't be in such a position. Then you will be surrounded by those in need and certainly not in a position to support everyone. And that isn't considering the hungry bad guys.
I highly suggest a move to a much more rural location.

...When the herd came over the hill, it messed this town up. It clogged our streets, schools, which raised property taxes...
Unfortunately the people of Los Banos didn't rally together and prevent the growth that occurred.

and brought the gang element into this town.
Oh I can guarantee that element was already there.

Grant it, there is not much for the young kids to do and that is a problem that needs to be solved. We used to have a bowling alley and a skating rink but past city officials thought making money and allowing these developers to come in and mess up the town were more important.
A bowling alley and skating rink would help, a bit. Kids aren't all going to bowl and skate all of the time and how about those who don't have money for activites. There are less developed communities where the kids keep occupied. It has to do with the parents raising kids to learn to stay busy and out of trouble. What happened to musical instruments, crafts and activities using tools, helping out a neighbor, etc.

...The schools got screwed up by becoming overcrowded,
Poor planning it was causes this. There was a plan but it fell through and there wasn't a back-up plan.

I want to go back to the time when cruising main was all the trouble that teens got into, not ending up at a party where kids get shot. Commuters brought this into our town because while you were working over the hill and not getting home until 9 or 10 at night, your kids were running the streets. And when you were home, you were too tired to do anything with them.
Good points, definitely

Those who were born here or lived here for years will know what I am talking about. Don't get offended, it's nothing personal but I want to raise my children in the kind of town I was raised in. Where you knew and waved to the person in the car beside you. Los Banos was a nice little town and I hope it will be again.
Unfortunately, don't count on that at all. When hyper-inflation sets in or the corporations can't keep the shelves stocked, it will be too late. The small business already had to shut down because of the corporate competition so there will be no one to barter with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose