Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
I agree, probably wouldn't live in Santa Cruz either. Although it could be interesting for awhile. Just 30-45 mins from SJ but it's like a whole other world over there.

I'd recommend Campbell over LG for a young single person. There's more young people in Campbell and its quite a bit cheaper. Some nightlife in both, neither is very good but you can get to dtown LG from dtown Campbell in 15 minutes. Campbell has more amenities close-by also and I've been a strong advocate of the area of town between San Tomas Expwy and San Tomas Aquino. Has it's own shopping centers there (with a nob hill) and you're just a hop and a skip from Westgate. Also, the downtown area of Campbell has a fair amount of apt. choices and I've seen cute girls at that Safeway on Winchester.
I think the OP was interested in Santa Cruz because they had a potential job there... I wouldn't bother living in Campbell and commuting to Santa Cruz--that seems completely counter productive unless you're really interested in living in the Valley. Most people who live in the Santa Cruz area live there because they like the beach or living in smaller town near the hills and then end up commuting over the hill because they have to... If you like the coastal environment and can get a good job there, Santa Cruz is a decent place(recent headlines notwithstanding)...

For the OP, I'd check Santa Cruz out, but look at the surrounding towns like Capitola and Aptos and Soquel as well. You can live on the edge of the Santa Cruz mountains as well and basically be at the beach/coast in under 10 minutes since entire metro isn't that big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 PM

345 posts, read 1,031,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I think the OP was interested in Santa Cruz because they had a potential job there... I wouldn't bother living in Campbell and commuting to Santa Cruz--that seems completely counter productive unless you're really interested in living in the Valley. Most people who live in the Santa Cruz area live there because they like the beach or living in smaller town near the hills and then end up commuting over the hill because they have to... If you like the coastal environment and can get a good job there, Santa Cruz is a decent place(recent headlines notwithstanding)...

For the OP, I'd check Santa Cruz out, but look at the surrounding towns like Capitola and Aptos and Soquel as well. You can live on the edge of the Santa Cruz mountains as well and basically be at the beach/coast in under 10 minutes since entire metro isn't that big.
No mention of a potential job, he just thought it be easier to find a job in a city like Santa Cruz. He was coming from the East Coast and wants the sun, girls, etc. That's why earlier in this thread I recommended Santa Barbara. I think it would be more fun for a 23 year old with as much, or more, career opportunities then Santa Cruz. Santa Barbara is more quintessential California and that's what *most* young people want. That's what I'd want too.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
No mention of a potential job, he just thought it be easier to find a job in a city like Santa Cruz. He was coming from the East Coast and wants the sun, girls, etc. That's why earlier in this thread I recommended Santa Barbara. I think it would be more fun for a 23 year old with as much, or more, career opportunities then Santa Cruz. Santa Barbara is more quintessential California and that's what *most* young people want. That's what I'd want too.
Yes, he did mention a potential job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSpring85 View Post
A lead presented itself regarding a job in the S.C. area that may be opening up and I need your expertise to decide if it is worth pursuit.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM

345 posts, read 1,031,435 times
^I missed that you're right.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,615 times
Honestly I'd check it out. To me parts of SC are fairly generic suburban, and parts have a cool beach town vibe. I haven't seen as much of the hippie stuff. It also frankly probably has more going on at night than most of silicon valley, though granted some of it is touristy. If you don't like it you can always keep your job and move to las gatos, but I don't think there's anything awesome enough in the valley to warrant starting with the long commute over SC.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
I went to school there in the 90's, but even me as a student couldn't stand the aggressive pan handlers in downtown. I think they passed that law when I moved in 94. The Catalyst was great too. I lived right off of water by the train tracks. What the hell is going on there? Rape on campus, shooting a student at bus stop.

If the OP want sun, women, and water no where in Nor Cal is going. As a surfer holly crap the water is cold there even in the summer 64F in August no thanks. Had to wear my 3mm wetsuit in summer. Great waves though. Loved the topless beaches except for the hippie chicks with their hairy pits LOL. My friends lived in Ben Lomen nice area, awesome area actually.

If he wants warm water and women try Pacific Beach in SD or Newport Beach would be good. Capitola the Newport Beach of Nor Cal. Loved mountain biking in Aptos and the college there is good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose