Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:51 PM

197 posts, read 348,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
By far the best? That's a little funny. Most people would argue that SF and even SD are far better than SJ.

I love SF to visit and I do enjoy SD (if we weren't in SJ we'd be there) but overall I prefer SJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 AM

4,368 posts, read 6,332,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
I love SF to visit and I do enjoy SD (if we weren't in SJ we'd be there) but overall I prefer SJ.
To each their own. I've lived in both SF and SD and now live in a city near SJ. I'd much prefer the others to SJ, but am here because of my job.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:45 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,871,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
To each their own. I've lived in both SF and SD and now live in a city near SJ. I'd much prefer the others to SJ, but am here because of my job.
Then try and make the best of it, grinch

Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,232,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento has the following:

Wells Fargo Pavillion - home of the Sacramento Music Circus - Traditional Summer Musicals - theatre in the round - Since 1949. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sacramento Music Festival - going on 40+ years now - mostly in Old Sacramento, Labor Day Weekend, heavy on all types of Jazz music. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sleep Train Arena - home of Sacramento's NBA team - the Sacramento Kings, and touring concerts. - Holds world record for loudest Arena in the world.

Sacramento Sleep Train Amphitheater (Wheatland), 15-30miles from various points in SAC Region, touring concerts.

Sacramento Community Theatre - Broadway Series Musicals throughout the year. - Downtown SAC

Apple Hill - 1/2 hour from Sacramento in Sierra Foothills. Festival, Apple pies, everything made from Apples.

Crocker Art Museum - World-class art museum - Downtown SAC. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sacramento River Cats Ballpark. San Jose has nothing to match.

California International Marathon - One of fastest marathons in the world - Folsom, CA to Downtown Sacramento, CA. San Jose has nothing to match.
I will concede the art museum comment. It is kind of "done by committee" in the South Bay. Nothing world class. There is San Jose Museum of Art (downtown)...not as impressive as it should be for a city the size of SJ, the Triton Museum in Santa Clara and the De Saisset at SCU, Villa Montalvo in Saratoga which also hosts concerts.

I also forgot to mention that San Jose has the famous Winchester Mystery House and not too far away is the Filoli estate in Woodside. The lesser known Hayes Mansion in south San Jose is also very nice. It is a popular wedding venue and has two restaurants. I lived within walking distance back in the early to mid-90's.

San Jose also has the San Jose Sharks pro hockey team which no city in northern California can match. The Sacramento Kings can't say that as there is also the Golden State Warriors.

Anyways, I don't dislike Sacramento and was unaware of the Folsom to Sacramento marathon there, so this thread is a good learning experience. The one time I tried to go to Apple Hill with two other friends several years ago there was a horrendous traffic jam (maybe accident??), so we exited at Placerville and enjoyed a good time in that town.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 PM

6,978 posts, read 8,378,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I will concede the art museum comment. It is kind of "done by committee" in the South Bay. Nothing world class. There is San Jose Museum of Art (downtown)...not as impressive as it should be for a city the size of SJ, the Triton Museum in Santa Clara and the De Saisset at SCU, Villa Montalvo in Saratoga which also hosts concerts.

I also forgot to mention that San Jose has the famous Winchester Mystery House and not too far away is the Filoli estate in Woodside. The lesser known Hayes Mansion in south San Jose is also very nice. It is a popular wedding venue and has two restaurants. I lived within walking distance back in the early to mid-90's.
Never been to those museums and estates except for the Winchester. I'll check them out!

The Crocker Art Museum, formerly the E. B. Crocker Art Gallery, is one of the leading arts institutions in California, and the longest continuously-operating art museum in the West.

Sacramento's Crocker Art Museum is very impression and historical. 1/4 of the art space is in an 1870's Italianate Mansion - the original art gallery. The Museum tripled in size with the addition of an impression modern structure in 2010. The Crocker was founded by the brother of the "Big Four" Railroad tycoons of California. One of the Big Four is Stanford who founded Stanford University.

Sacramento also has the impressive classic Second-Empire Italianate Victorian Governor's Mansion - "hella cool" - creepy "Adams Family" style mansion.

Speaking of Justices, Sacramento's Anthony Kennedy is a current member of the elite U.S. Supreme Court who paved the the way for Gay Marriage with his swing vote. Justice Kennedy born and raised in Sacramento, ex-professor at UOP's law school which is in Sacramento.

Speaking of Victorian's, I believe Sacramento has more stand alone restored Victorians outside of San Francisco.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,871,649 times
Forget the Winchester Museum, San Jose's most impressive structures right now are the Lick Observatory atop Mt. Hamilton and the Gurdwara, possibly the largest Sihk gurdwara in North America, situated near the top of San Jose's Evergreen neighborhood. When I say "largest", I mean stupendously huge. This is one place where I took people from LA to and they go "holy sh*t!"

San Jose also has some of the nicest Buddhist temples around: Pao Hua, Duc Vien, and Japanese Buddhist temple in Japantown.

The San Jose area also has the massive Kim Son Pagoda complex nestled in Mt. Madonna to the south of the city. They are rebuilding the meditation hall right now, and will become the absolute most densely massive temple complex in the entire Northern California. And easily the one with the best view

In SF for Chinese New Years, they have a parade. In the South Bay, us Asian folks roll out to all the temples at night time. The REAL thing.

That said,

I like Sacramento as well. Always liked it. Wouldn't have mind living there if there were tech jobs. Of course, if there WERE tech jobs abundantly available, I don't think housing there would be cheap. So that's that...

San Jose and Sacramento shouldn't dick on each other so much. We are both suburban-styled city with small urban central core, each with its own charms. We are more alike than we are different

Besides, at least San Jose State and Sac State has Division 1 football WHOOT!!!!! Can't say that about SFSU and CSUEB.

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 12-19-2013 at 11:19 AM..

Old 12-20-2013, 10:13 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,232,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Forget the Winchester Museum, San Jose's most impressive structures right now are the Lick Observatory atop Mt. Hamilton and the Gurdwara, possibly the largest Sihk gurdwara in North America, situated near the top of San Jose's Evergreen neighborhood. When I say "largest", I mean stupendously huge. This is one place where I took people from LA to and they go "holy sh*t!"

San Jose also has some of the nicest Buddhist temples around: Pao Hua, Duc Vien, and Japanese Buddhist temple in Japantown.

The San Jose area also has the massive Kim Son Pagoda complex nestled in Mt. Madonna to the south of the city. They are rebuilding the meditation hall right now, and will become the absolute most densely massive temple complex in the entire Northern California. And easily the one with the best view

In SF for Chinese New Years, they have a parade. In the South Bay, us Asian folks roll out to all the temples at night time. The REAL thing.

That said,

I like Sacramento as well. Always liked it. Wouldn't have mind living there if there were tech jobs. Of course, if there WERE tech jobs abundantly available, I don't think housing there would be cheap. So that's that...

San Jose and Sacramento shouldn't dick on each other so much. We are both suburban-styled city with small urban central core, each with its own charms. We are more alike than we are different

Besides, at least San Jose State and Sac State has Division 1 football WHOOT!!!!! Can't say that about SFSU and CSUEB.
Those are great pics! I'll have to see some of them in person.

Speaking of Div 1 football, this is the first year in a very long time I did not go to a San Jose State game. It seemed like two or three games were on Fridays...Saturday is better for me. I was kicking myself a few weeks ago for not going to the SJSU vs. Fresno State game this year: 62-52 win for the Spartans! No excuses there. It was a Saturday game. The basketball teams may just barely exceed that score this year.

SJ and Sac should enjoy their similarities like you said. People from both places can always tease Fresno and Stockton, right?

Old 12-21-2013, 01:58 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,895,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post

SJ and Sac should enjoy their similarities like you said. People from both places can always tease Fresno and Stockton, right?
'Twould appear a bit crass to pick on low-hanging fruit.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Things that Sacramento has that San Jose doesn't:

Best Veterinary College in the nation - UC DAVIS

Best Viticultural and Enology College(grape growing and wine making) in the the nation - US DAVIS

Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Things that Sacramento has that San Jose doesn't:

Best Veterinary College in the nation - UC DAVIS

Best Viticultural and Enology College(grape growing and wine making) in the the nation - US DAVIS
The Davis Campus is 10 miles from downtown Sacramento, and the main teaching/research medical center and main hospital is in Sacramento, not Davis. (just a few blocks south of Midtown/Downtown Sacramento).

The 3rd best UC in California is in Sacramento Area/UC DAVIS. AND one of the top 25 public universities in the the nation is UC DAVIS.

Best Veterinary Medicine College in the Nation - UC DAVIS

Best Viticultural and Enology College(grape growing and wine making) in the the Nation - UC DAVIS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose