Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

I don't think rent control should keep things artificially low but there is a happy medium. 5-7% sounds reasonable to me.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 02:29 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So what of those folks who get paid a fraction to maintain the techies' lavish lifestyles? Let them eat cake? Or shall the toilets runneth over, since the janitors couldn't afford to live anywhere near the place?
This is what I'm thinking. I wish all the people working retail and other low wage jobs in this area would move out. That would force employers to pay living wages without mandatory increases in the minimum wage. Of course, I'm sure they'd just find a way to import more people from the 3rd world, legally or illegally.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-14-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
At some point, it probably is reasonable to say "enough." At some point, it probably is reasonable to say we don't have road capacity or water capacity or school capacity or other public services capacity to allow more development. When do we hit that point? Some say we already have hit that point.
I think this "we've hit capacity" stuff is mostly nonsense. What people really mean is "I won't be able to do things the way I always have if we get more housing".

I mean, cities like SF and NYC have much more density than SJ. Even Oakland is more densely populated. We generally use roads wastefully. We could fix the traffic problem with better mass transit. And if there is more housing closer to where the jobs are, there will be less marathon commuting, so at least some types of traffic might actually decrease.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:51 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think this "we've hit capacity" stuff is mostly nonsense. What people really mean is "I won't be able to do things the way I always have if we get more housing".

I mean, cities like SF and NYC have much more density than SJ. Even Oakland is more densely populated. We generally use roads wastefully. We could fix the traffic problem with better mass transit. And if there is more housing closer to where the jobs are, there will be less marathon commuting, so at least some types of traffic might actually decrease.
Certainly, reasonable people can disagree.

Of course SF and NYC have much more dense housing -- but you say this as if it were a good thing to which Silicon Valley should aspire. I disagree -- such environments are my idea of the theological place of eternal punishment.

When you say we could fix the traffic problem with better mass transit -- well, the the first rule is that when you find yourself stuck in a hole, stop digging. If we could have fixed the problem with mass transit, we already would have. For most of us, mass transit isn't going to serve our daily transportation needs. This isn't NYC and we should stop pretending it ever will be NYC nor should it ever be NYC. People who want to live in that environment are free to move there. The reality is we will never have mass transit that goes from anywhere near each of our doorsteps to anywhere near where each of us wish to travel. That's why we have cars.

We talk about adding housing close to where jobs are, but the reality is it doesn't seem to work very well. There are numerous projects around the bay area where we have housing above retail -- but the people who live in that housing don't work in that retail. People want to live where living is good & schools are good & shopping is good -- few wake up in the morning & say "Gee, I wish I lived next to an oil refinery or semiconductor fab, or I wish I lived next to light manufacturing, or I wish I lived across the street from my white collar job so I can spend more time in the office."

Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
The problem is housing isn't close to work because we have segregated housing from the offices. Housing close to work doesn't mean housing on top of your office only. If you worked at Google, what if there were more reasonably priced homes/apartments/condos within 3 miles? You could bike, drive an perhaps take transit. You wouldn't née to live in Sunnyvale or Fremont an endure a 30 minute commute.

This is true for most of the South Bay and Peninsula. Additionally most office parks are not on transit lines, so you don't solve the last mile problem. If most office were located within 1 mile from Caltrain or major VTA lines more people could opt out of their cars.

It is a multifaceted problem.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem is housing isn't close to work because we have segregated housing from the offices. Housing close to work doesn't mean housing on top of your office only. If you worked at Google, what if there were more reasonably priced homes/apartments/condos within 3 miles? You could bike, drive an perhaps take transit. You wouldn't née to live in Sunnyvale or Fremont an endure a 30 minute commute.

This is true for most of the South Bay and Peninsula. Additionally most office parks are not on transit lines, so you don't solve the last mile problem. If most office were located within 1 mile from Caltrain or major VTA lines more people could opt out of their cars.

It is a multifaceted problem.
Thank you. This is what I was getting at. I do agree it's a multifaceted problem, and that it is tough to fix after you've created complete suburban sprawl. But people shouldn't say "We're overcrowded. We're using up all the infrastructure!". Those things are patently false. What is true is that this area was planned for people to drive their cars for 100% of their trips. And that whole development model quickly fails once you become a metropolitan area of any significant size.

People always love to bring up extreme examples like SF or New York. I don't think SV needs to be that dense for transit to be more convenient & effective. Even Oakland levels of density could suffice if we coupled better planning with prioritizing funding transit over roads.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Rent control works wonderfully to ensure there is a bountiful supply of affordable housing. Just look at how San Francisco, Berkeley, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and West Hollywood all boast an ample supply of reasonably priced apartments!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:28 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Well, lack of rent control also doesn't guarantee affordable housing, either. I lived in HK, where they constantly churn out new units of housing, and the real estate property developers have a lot of political clout. Yet housing costs continue to skyrocket.

Admittedly there just doesn't seem to be any easy answers to this matter...

Last edited by silverkris; 09-16-2013 at 11:23 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Please explain how it's trolling. I'm saying that it's sad that profit is the only thing that drives people these days, and in a detrimentally aggressive manner. I'm curious as to why. I'm talking about the really low, down deep, rock bottom root cause of its pursuit. On an individual basis; not something generic and ethereal like "it's our right," or "because we can." I mean really why.
Don't you know?... Anytime you disagree with someone, that's trolling? Actually, people calling other people trolls for having a strong opinion is the more trollish behavior, IMO.

I could tell you the answer to that but I don't think you'll like it.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times
At least we can all agree on some points:

1) We need more housing as a better way to make things A BIT more affordable. And newer housing should be predominantly high-density, multi-family housing as a means to both increase housing and preserving as much of our pristine land as we can.

2) We all can agree that San Jose/South Bay can do better with its density. I prefer the density to approach Oakland's. I DO NOT want SF or NYC, or even Chicago's and Philadelphia's level of density. No thanks. If I want that, I'll just move there. I ride bikes AND I drive cars. I like to be able to do both in San Jose and the South Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose