Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 PM

1,486 posts, read 293,082 times

Advertisements

Hopefully soon in Fall. I am hoping for a long series of heavy rains, which you really don't get much of in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 05:59 PM

574 posts, read 699,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
There's a chance of some rain later this week, I suspect just showery, though freak events do occasionally occur in late September.

Most years though, rain chances around here don't meaningfully increase until October, especially later in the month.

We should all be hoping for an incredibly wet winter. The drought has become absolutely devastating. If we have a relatively dry winter we can start expecting serious ecological implications and water restrictions that become increasingly impactful to daily life.
I'm sure it's deeply impactful, but I'm personally not feeling it. All utilities paid for by my apartment (including water), and free showers/water cooler at work. I try not to be wasteful, but it's really hard at times.

I think the saddest thing is the focus on reducing residential water usage, which is only a tiny fraction of California's total water usage. Agriculture uses 80 percent of California's total water. Why not put more focus where it belongs?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:21 PM

506 posts, read 327,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Whats you definition of "first rain"? There have already been trace amounts of rain.
The trace amounts haven't been enough to substantially improve our drought situation, for starters..

Old 09-22-2014, 07:48 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,206,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
I'm sure it's deeply impactful, but I'm personally not feeling it. All utilities paid for by my apartment (including water), and free showers/water cooler at work. I try not to be wasteful, but it's really hard at times.

I think the saddest thing is the focus on reducing residential water usage, which is only a tiny fraction of California's total water usage. Agriculture uses 80 percent of California's total water. Why not put more focus where it belongs?
Because California is the breadbasket of the United States. Shut it down, and food prices will go up significantly. People have to eat.

I hear you on not feeling it much yet. But when they start rationing and people can only shower every other day, you'll start to.

I can certainly see it though. Less watering area wide, stuff is starting to brown. And out hiking and such in the wild, it is quite noticeable -- it's always dry this time of year, but this is ridiculous. Stuff is crispy, for lack of a better term.

EDIT: Also, agricultural water use has already been cut a lot. Lots of land in the Central Valley is fallow. Many haven't received their allocations and are pumping groundwater, which is its own set of problems. The fact remains that the reservoirs used for the cities are getting dangerously low. Some NorCal towns (which almost never have dry stretches like this and frankly aren't prepared for drought) are already having to truck in water at enormous expense.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:15 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,884,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
They have better lobbyists.

Agricultural water supplies might go a lot farther if the farmers adopted more efficient watering method (i.e. drip). It's a lot cheaper to irrigate using less efficient techniques.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,062,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisnjh View Post
The trace amounts haven't been enough to substantially improve our drought situation, for starters..
It's going to take a lot more then a "first rain" to do that.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:15 PM

927 posts, read 984,646 times
actually wondering about a lot these days. Read somewhere super-drought is coming. Hope that is not the case.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:29 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,206,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
actually wondering about a lot these days. Read somewhere super-drought is coming. Hope that is not the case.
That's all conjecture. Could it happen - sure. Is it likely - not really.

Drought is one of the most insidious natural disasters. Most natural disasters are devastating, but you at least know when they are over. A hurricane, a tornado, wildfires, you can follow their progress, and know when they are done. Even earthquakes, you know won't go on all that long.

Drought - you just don't know. It could end in a week in spectacular fashion, or it could go on another 10 years. This reality makes people antsy, nervous, anxious. It makes some people predict doom and gloom with no real basis for it. We all know past behavior is no predictor of future behavior, especially with weather.

It's even worse if you are in agriculture. Do you take another loan from the bank to get through this bad year, hoping it'll rain next year? Or do you cut your losses and sell your farm? Do you buy feed for your cattle this year, hoping it'll rain next year and they'll be able to graze again? Or do you cut your losses and sell off some or all of your herd? And oh by the way, all you have to help you with this decision is gut instinct and seasonal weather forecasting, which has only marginally better skill than a coin flip.

Any other disaster, it comes, you suffer, and you rebuild. Drought just goes and goes and goes, with no indication of when it might end. It makes me nervous and it doesn't even directly impact my day to day life (yet).

Old 09-23-2014, 04:39 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,936,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisnjh View Post
The rain here won't do anything really to reduce the drought, though. It's really the snow in the mountains that is the major issue (since that is what mainly feeds the water system for the cities and agriculture (especially this)). It could rain barely anything all year here, but if it snowed a ton in the mountains, we'd be fine overall as a state.

The problem is that rarely happens...but I digress.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM

781 posts, read 747,192 times
I miss the rain too, I am hoping for some this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose