Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,046 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm lucky enough to have a large yard with a detached garage here in San Jose. The garage as well as my house are on slab. I would like to add heat, air conditioning, a small bathroom and a kitchenette to my detached garage so that I can use it as a rental. Right now it has only electricity, insulated walls, and flooring.
Does anyone have an idea of cost and feasibility involved with getting permits? Does anyone have experience with the same type of remodel and what it would cost?
I'm a widow working full-time and have kids in college, I need to do something! I do have a good friend who can handle the construction/installation part of the job for less than the going rate.
Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 04:05 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
I don't know the costs, you would need to get bids from Contractors for that, but I did find some information on adding a rental or guest unit to your lot: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/337/ It states that permitting alone can cost 5-6k

Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,468,013 times
I was curious after your post, so I prayed to the powerful Google:
Remodel & Renovate: Is it illegal to turn a garage into a room in San Jose? If you can turn a grage into a room in San Jose what must one do to get this done and livable? - Trulia Voices

Old 03-26-2015, 09:56 PM

10,355 posts, read 8,581,497 times
I think zoning might be a big issue here too.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,580,356 times
Visit the Building Department and ask.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:46 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
First check to see if your area is zoned for single-family properties, or if it allows duplexes.

Hire an architect to do the technical drawings and specs, because this is what your building department will require, most likely. If approved, your friend can do a low-cost conversion. You'll need to provide parking spaces.

Consider this an investment. If it's a two-car garage, it should pay off in the medium-term, with rents being as high as they are. Even if it requires taking out a loan, it will pay off.

If the project goes ahead, bear in mind you'll now have maintenance and repair costs to save for. I always recommend people with rentals on their property set up a separate savings account just for the income from the rental. That way, you'll always have emergency repair money when you need it.

I hope it works out, OP. Let us know what you decide.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:00 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,465,221 times
I doubt seriously that it is allowed to convert a garage into a living space, at least if it is your only garage. I know it is not permitted where I live. The city wants you to keep your vehicles in your garage and on your driveway, and your neighbors want that, too.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:04 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I doubt seriously that it is allowed to convert a garage into a living space, at least if it is your only garage. I know it is not permitted where I live. The city wants you to keep your vehicles in your garage and on your driveway, and your neighbors want that, too.
I think it's allowed but unless she has a huge front and side yard there will definitely be a problem with off street parking which is required http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/337/

Old 04-03-2015, 11:41 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,465,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think it's allowed but unless she has a huge front and side yard there will definitely be a problem with off street parking which is required http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/337/
Have you seen what a mess much of San Leandro, especially near the Marina, has become with all these rental and in-law units?

But even there, people have enough room to still have a working garage and off-street parking.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 9,503 times
would you please elaborate about it, zoning issue? please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose