Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 10:38 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nope my logic is "Do something".

You unhappy about high housing prices here in the Bay Area? Well go do something about it instead of moaning and groaning about it. That won't change anything. You can choose to improve your own situation (career, etc.), you can help others and organize for example. Or you can choose to sit on your backside, complain loudly, but not do anything (which seems to be your current plan). As I've said, your plan seems to be to wait for Mom and Dad to die and pass the property to you.

Join an affordable housing advocacy group and get energized. Get involved in activism. If let's say there's a mobile home park that is getting sold off and they're going to throw out the residents there, organize and protest. Heck, there was a MHP in Palo Alto (yes - the Buena Vista) that was going to be sold off and redeveloped, but a lot of community people organized and fought that over several years and saved it. I think there may be a similar development around a MHP near the Winchester Mystery House. Now that might not directly benefit you economically but it can energize you and give you a new perspective and energy in your life.

Or maybe you can hook up with some other folks in your similar situation, pool your funds together, and form a housing coop or something like that. Use your imagination. Isn't this Silicon Valley, the home of innovation?

Want to stay in the Bay Area? You're going to have to up your game from an income standpoint and make some hard choices. Maybe it's a career move. A whole lot of posters have given you very constructive suggestions and it seems you've rejected all of them.

Or maybe you're going to have to face reality and opt for relocation if that's the best calculation for you. It's a trade off that only you can decide upon. And frankly, if you have that much money in the bank, you don't need to save for a bus ticket. C'mon now.
The only advice given has been tough totties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:58 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Uh no. It's just that you won't accept anything or won't make any concrete actions to improve the situation other than to complain. Or wish for fantasy scenarios.

I've just given you some suggestions right now (and other have too).

Next move is up to you.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Win the lottery, marry well, become the ward of someone rich, learn construction, find a career that provides housing, join a religious order, military service, buy with a partner(s), buy 2 to 4 units and live in one and become a housing provider...

Don't fret... there is always subsidized senior housing with more in the South Bay pipeline being built.

All of my previous concrete actions on how I bought my bay area slice of heaven were categorically dismissed... lowest priced MLS listed home in Oakland California... 25 x 100 lot and under 700 square feet of circa 1915 construction... all mine!

Doesn't change the fact that homes here are bought and sold everyday and yes... some are First Time home buyers with not a single silver spoon between them... as was the case of the high school sweet hears who recently bought their San Leandro home... he is a police officer and she is a Nurse... over 250k income their first full year of combined and benefits that over the top...

Old 07-16-2017, 01:35 PM

169 posts, read 232,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nope my logic

Join an affordable housing advocacy group and get energized. Get involved in activism. If let's say there's a mobile home park that is getting sold off and they're going to throw out the residents there, organize and protest. Heck, there was a MHP in Palo Alto (yes - the Buena Vista) that was going to be sold off and redeveloped, but a lot of community people organized and fought that over several years and saved it. I think there may be a similar development around a MHP near the Winchester Mystery House. .
City of Santa Clara and Palo Alto paid $40M... and the money came from where? Not from the community people organized it or from the ones who fought for it.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Win the lottery, marry well, become the ward of someone rich, learn construction, find a career that provides housing, join a religious order, military service, buy with a partner(s), buy 2 to 4 units and live in one and become a housing provider...

Don't fret... there is always subsidized senior housing with more in the South Bay pipeline being built.

All of my previous concrete actions on how I bought my bay area slice of heaven were categorically dismissed... lowest priced MLS listed home in Oakland California... 25 x 100 lot and under 700 square feet of circa 1915 construction... all mine!

Doesn't change the fact that homes here are bought and sold everyday and yes... some are First Time home buyers with not a single silver spoon between them... as was the case of the high school sweet hears who recently bought their San Leandro home... he is a police officer and she is a Nurse... over 250k income their first full year of combined and benefits that over the top...
Win the lottery is not advice.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:26 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
No I wrote that you could afford a house based on the numbers you posted on savings, net worth and income. You just need to do it.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:39 PM

402 posts, read 538,957 times
Quote:
Win the lottery is not advice.
You've already won a lottery living with parents for free.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:44 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
People already gave you a lot of advice, I think you didn't take any. You just want to complain online. It's anonymous. I know but it's annoying.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
You've already won a lottery living with parents for free.
It's extremely common in the Bay Area due to the cost of living.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:57 PM

402 posts, read 538,957 times
Quote:
It's extremely common in the Bay Area due to the cost of living.
No it's not extremely common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose